On 15/12/2018 at 09:39, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's what I meant. In my experience bottle drinkers are usually drinking Corona because "that Carling is pish".

Perhaps they are driving, or planning to operate heavy machinery shortly after. 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much etiquette rather c***s In Pubs

Pub last night to watch the Man Utd v Man City game

Next to me was a Celtic fan I half know from the bar and as the game went on comments were passed on the game, fouls, chances etc.

Someone new I didn't know arrived, but he knew Celtic fan one, and was of the same persuasion as  five minutes of glasses being raised and Hail Caesar stuff ensued. Then City scored and it kicked off.

Celtic fan one (CF1) cheered, and Celtic fan two (CF2) scowled, would appear he was a Man Utd fan as well as a Celtic fan. And then the argument started.

CF2 - How can you support them?

CF1 - Why, just think City are the better team and want them to win

CF2 - They're a *** team

CF1 - Whit?

CF2 - They a total *** team, you can't support them if you a true Celtic fan

CF1 - No they're not

CF2 They are, they ****, Celtic fans should support Man Utd

This went on and on and on and degenerated until CF2 could not answer the following,

CF1 - If we were watching the Sheffield derby who should I support, are you saying every two team city has a Celtic team and a *** team?

OF fans - they a different breed.

54 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Next to me was a Celtic fan I half know from the bar and as the game went on comments were passed on the game, fouls, chances etc.

Someone new I didn't know arrived, but he knew Celtic fan one, and was of the same persuasion as  five minutes of glasses being raised and Hail Caesar stuff ensued. Then City scored and it kicked off.

Celtic fan one (CF1) cheered, and Celtic fan two (CF2) scowled, would appear he was a Man Utd fan as well as a Celtic fan. And then the argument started.

CF2 - They're a *** team

CF1 - Whit?

CF1 - No they're not

This went on and on and on and degenerated until CF2 could not answer the following,

CF1 - If we were watching the Sheffield derby who should I support, are you saying every two team city has a Celtic team and a *** team?

Maybe, to OF fans, everything on the planet is just a manichean struggle between ****ery and not-****ery. Palestinians are not-****, Israelis are ****. Beach Boys are ****, Beatles are not-****.Coke is not-***, Pepsi is ***. Yankees are ****, Red Sox are not-****.

It must make decisionmaking a lot easier and life a lot simpler when you look at things from that perspective. I'm almost tempted to try it.

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

CF2 - They're a *** team

CF1 - Whit?

CF1 - No they're not

Probably never happened.

5 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Maybe, to OF fans, everything on the planet is just a manichean struggle between ****ery and not-****ery. Palestinians are not-****, Israelis are ****. Beach Boys are ****, Beatles are not-****.Coke is not-***, Pepsi is ***. Yankees are ****, Red Sox are not-****.

It must make decisionmaking a lot easier and life a lot simpler when you look at things from that perspective. I'm almost tempted to try it.

Everything on the planet?  Why stop there?  There are other planets, asteroids, comets and so on to be divvied up.

What's your favourite crater on Mars and  don't get it wrong.

6 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Everything on the planet?  Why stop there?  There are other planets, asteroids, comets and so on to be divvied up.

What's your favourite crater on Mars and  don't get it wrong.

Schiapparelli and Cassini are clearly *** craters. Tooting sounds relatively staunch. Probably a *** crater.

On 5/26/2014 at 20:33, Bully Wee Villa said:

This generally only applies to women but still... if there is a lengthy queue don't add to it by ordering a sodding cocktail that will take the bloke five minutes to make. Order something normal and piss off.

Even better - just know what you want.  Don't get the bar and go "ohhhhhhhhhhh I don't know" accompanied by a wee cute laugh.   Followed by a period of thinking about it only to order the same drink you get every single time we go out.

This applies to women with food too.

On 14/12/2018 at 21:30, Snafu said:

Don't know much about etiquette in pubs but have bought a drink on a couple of occasions for accidents where the accidentee has lost most of his pint.

Seen a view 'interesting' habits though. Sitting in the former watering hole and fight club known as the Moray Bar on Academy Street Inverness a good 20 years ago my best friend and I observed an old boy sitting by himself getting up of his chair or rather heard him get up of his chair to pay a visit to the cludgie where upon he made a loud noise in his throat making sure most of the bar heard him and then snorted the contents of his nose before leaning over and spitting a huge lump of yellow gunk in his pint. We couldn't believe what we just saw, neither did most of the clientele also watching. But once he had vanished into the depths of one of the worst toilets in the highlands two lads heading out the door spat in his pint before disappearing into the night. The old fellow rejoined his pint after a few minutes and had a good look at it to see if anyone had taken a sly sip then suddenly looked confused as to what was floating on the top of his his amber nectar. Certainly he knew the exact amount of gob he had landed on the pint and after about 20 seconds of staring at it he looked around suspiciously to see who had been messing with his pint, of course no one looked him in the eye. My friend and I decided then that it was time to drink up and leave as we had the idea that the harmonious atmosphere was about to take a turn and we didn't want to be involved.

Inverness, city of culture 2020.

Ah the Moray Bar.  What a place.  Now some cocktail joint called Bar One for those who know Inverness.

Edit - 86.jpg

Godspeed old boy.

Working in Dublin has ruined me. Back home I'm genuinely quite polite and courteous and will happily point the barstaff in the direction of someone who was genuinely there before me.

Dublin? f**k that. Most bars are full of screaming Americans that take an absolute age to order their obligatory pints of Guinness and even longer to painstakingly count out the change for it. Survival of the fittest as far as I'm concerned. Pushing past the Wetherspoons/post office style queues at the bar is a regular occurrence.

Ah the Moray Bar.  What a place.  Now some cocktail joint called Bar One for those who know Inverness.
Edit - 86.jpg&key=1e92d08c3c470fe983133d6f7ecf995e74c5e3506de658ce353d62b6d67bd910
Godspeed old boy.
Pretty sure all of the bad practices mentioned in this thread (no rounds, last minute cocktails, finger-snappers) are now allowed to exist peacefully thanks to places like Bar One. Hate it.

• 2 months later...

A question about round etiquette. Four guys in a pub, each one buys his round in turn, no problem, so it's back to the first guy again. However he doesn't want any more to drink so tells the other three to just carry on amongst themselves as he's leaving. He gets slagged off and told that it's his round again. Is he being a c**t for leaving when it's his round (even though he bought one at the start so everybody is equal) or are the rest of them for insisting he buys before he goes?

Just now, GordonD said:

A question about round etiquette. Four guys in a pub, each one buys his round in turn, no problem, so it's back to the first guy again. However he doesn't want any more to drink so tells the other three to just carry on amongst themselves as he's leaving. He gets slagged off and told that it's his round again. Is he being a c**t for leaving when it's his round (even though he bought one at the start so everybody is equal) or are the rest of them for insisting he buys before he goes?

Rest of them are c***s.

2 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Rest of them are c***s.

That's what I thought. It happened to me - I was the guy who was leaving and I just couldn't see where they were coming from in insisting I got another round in before I went. Thought I was missing some obscure unwritten rule but I still didn't buy another round.

13 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Almost always just say you're leaving and f**k off with a clear conscience.  You bought your round.

If there's a business/work/formal element to it then buy 4 drams and get a receipt to put on expenses.

Archived