I wouldn't rate him as high as 2.5 but not too far off it I would say.

I've not seen him play much but I'm wondering where abouts he'll slot into the side? In the hole where Johansen has been playing? If so then where does he put Johansen?

Johansen has been superb recently and would benefit alongside another creative type. I agree, Forrest, McGregor, Boeriggter, Tonev and possibly even Biton very rarely impress.

Our strikers suffer feeding off scraps and set plays. GMS will be a welcomed addition to the team and if we land Armstrong, I'd imagine our style of play will be a lot more enjoyable to watch.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No but it would probably take an offer of between 1.5 & 2mil to get his signature and would be a decent investment, hopefully we will pay what would be a fair price rather than just try and blag him on the cheap, we have wasted plenty in recent years in foreign dross, here is a player we know can deliver at this level

Aye, the old biscuit tin approach to signing players never fails to frustrate. Especially when we've took chances on utter dross in the not so distant past.

GMS and Armstrong? Maybe we could add Ciftci or Dillon as well. Then we can struggle to finish 4th or 5th next season as that's the level these guys play at.

That's a bit harsh :lol:

We're you equally sceptical when Hooper and Wanyama joined the club?

They're 24 and 22 years old, hardly the finished article.

GMS and Armstrong? Maybe we could add Ciftci or Dillon as well. Then we can struggle to finish 4th or 5th next season as that's the level these guys play at.

True, you'd be better spending £2.5m on strikers who come from the Spanish Second Division.

In your defence, that makes perfect sense if you assume that every player at a club is at an identical level. That's the premise, right?

In your defence, that makes perfect sense if you assume that every player at a club is at an identical level. That's the premise, right?

Not entirely. My thinking is based on watching these guys, especially playing against us. We have a poor/average side at best, yet we want to buy guys who are meant to be their teams 'top' players, but who have rarely/never been any better than our fannies? doesn't work for me.

Not entirely. My thinking is based on watching these guys, especially playing against us. We have a poor/average side at best, yet we want to buy guys who are meant to be their teams 'top' players, but who have rarely/never been any better than our fannies? doesn't work for me.

I wouldn't want to be too exposed to your thinking but your premise was quite clear and it was nonsense.

I wouldn't want to be too exposed to your thinking but your premise was quite clear and it was nonsense.

It makes no sense to bring in players that are no better, & probably worse, than those they are meant to replace. Unless they are seen as squad players. Although we have enough average players that can't push the first team for regular places.

Of course I don't want to spunk cash on diddies from anywhere, but I haven't known some of these guys, never having seen them. I have seen Dundee United.

True. Its a far better plan to spunk money on players who have never played in this country before than to spend it on players you know can perform at this level. A solid, flawless plan IMO

True. Its a far better plan to spunk money on players who have never played in this country before than to spend it on players you know can perform at this level. A solid, flawless plan IMO

Rubbish. You say we know that they can perform at this level? THIS level? That was my original point. We know that they can perform at Dundee United's level. And where has that level seen them finish in a league full of poor sides?

And that's what we have to aspire to?

Good players can be in poor teams.

Bit harsh said about United tbh we have been paying off debt over the last few years cutting back the wage bill and replacing those that left with younger/.cheaper players unproven at this level.

Younger players that primarily have been in the under 20's or league 2 and have taken some time to improve as individuals whilst trying to maintain a competitive team in the highest league in the country and play some attractive football at the same time.

As someone once said rome wasnt built in a day but it doesnt mean any of the stars of the group arent good enough for Celtic or other clubs and if anything they may actually benefit from going to a higher level .

Your captain Browny rates GMS so that speaks volumes for the lad doesnt it not ;)

The same Dundee United who beat Celtic the last time they played?

Was waiting for that.

That was the game where United scored twice from Ambrose errors, we hit the post twice & had a clearly onside goal (TV proved this) chalked off & battered a poor United side throughout? That game?

By your logic Barca should have bought Tony Watt.

You're the first Celtic fan I've came across who doesn't want us to sign Armstrong. Anytime I've seen him, be it against us or on Sportscene he has impressed. Doesn't get the most goals but he's as technically gifted a player as is kicking about in the SPL and I think he'd thrive in the high tempo, high pressing game we are trying to develop.

With respect to GMS, he's proven himself to have bags of talent. Whether or not he can make the step up and do it for us consistently is yet to be seen but on a free transfer (or nominal fee if he comes this month) he's a risk worth taking imo. I'm almost certain that he'll be an improvement on the likes of Tonev, Wakaso, Berget, Derk and even McGregor.

Archived