Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understood the player would have been eligible to appear in the Celtic match if they had put him on the match sheet in the previous round? Surely it is very harsh that such a small administrative issue has such large consequences. Celtic is quite popular in Europe, but this will do damage to their good name abroad. Even though they are not really to blame.

I understood the player would have been eligible to appear in the Celtic match if they had put him on the match sheet in the previous round? Surely it is very harsh that such a small administrative issue has such large consequences. Celtic is quite popular in Europe, but this will do damage to their good name abroad. Even though they are not really to blame.

This is exactly what Legia are trying to do, they're trying to deflect all the blame onto Celtic to cover up their own incompitant.

All this shit they're proposing. UEFA wouldnt allow any of it and if Celtic did agree to it, would probably find ourselves getting our arses toed from UEFA.. It would set a prescedent UEFA cannot allow to happen under any circumstances.

Exactly why or how? ... Incompetent idiots get themselves kicked out by missing penalties and paperwork ... we're to blame? :lol:

Celtic are something of a brand abroad, formed by Youtube clips of crowds singing YNWA making their rounds on foreign football boards, and other stuff like that. Taking advantage of an insignificant administrative error after being fairly and squarely beaten over two legs will not make more people abroad rooting for Celtic in the next round, to say the least. You're not to blame, and no other club would have waved the tie, but it's not like you have nothing to lose from this affair.

Then again, these things kinds of things tend to be forgotten soon enough.

@BBCBMcLauchlin: Celtic to turn down request from Legia Warsaw for a one-off match to decide who will play in the Champions League @BBCSportScot

Not surprising

If I was Celtic I wouldn't even bother replying to the request? It's totally outwith all the official channels and does not have a snowball's chance of happening, even if there was time to play it, which there isn't.

It's probably just a PR stunt to deflect onto Celtic/UEFA.

Club statement

http://www.celticfc.net/news/6419

IN response to statements made by Legia Warsaw today, a spokesperson for Celtic Football Club said:

“We are disappointed by Legia Warsaw's comments. This is entirely a matter for UEFA and its processes. Accordingly, we will reserve further comment for the appropriate time.”

No issue with ruling, Legia fhucked up pure and simple.

However if Legia fans openly gave racist abuse to one of Celtic's players they'd have received a €10000 fine and a slap on the wrist. Just saying...

Been listening to the English translation of the Legia press conference in the background, while doing some other bits-n-pieces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdbMSqMbnxs&list=UU1uq_GHtFPL6MrJZBU4LnsQ

Basically they're fully accepting their guilt in failing to have registered him for the QR2 ties, and have suspended 4 members of staff. But they do intend to appeal to UEFA and CAS. They claim "5 to 75 percent chance of success" (which I think might be 50 to 75 but the translator didn't hear or say it properly). I suspect that expectation may be over-optimistic.

Their grounds seem to be two-fold:

[1] that although not abiding by the rules of the competition, they have abided by the rules of fair play and the values of UEFA, and won on the pitch

[2] that although the punishment is specified in the rules, it is wholly disproportionate to their offence, and should be overturned

Basically, their position is "yes, we are guilty - but...".

Their chap on the left seems to think less of their chances than his colleague.

They are also critical of Celtic, saying their "behaviour" has been "unacceptable" (10:20 on).

EDIT: During the middle part of the interview they claim that UEFA broke some of its own rules... by not inviting them to the hearing in person, not issuing them with a followup letter relating to the offence, and not convening a 3-man panel. According to what I've read on another forum this isn't correct... apparently in cases of fact, and where time is important (i.e. QR4 draw), the rules allow for the process used.

They're bullshitting, making us look like the bad ones, trying to get us and UEFA to play their game, in the hope one or the other feels guilty and caves in. Won't work though

Archived