Champions League 2014/15

lichtie23

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this somewhat hard to believe given you were responding to his posts. And he quashed you're hilarious view that 'you have better things to do'. Unlucky.

This never happened.

But, still, what an absolutely pathetic deflection from the EPLs most desperate fan boy.

How embarrassing :lol:

Looking at the teams they could get it looks that way

Atletico Madrid

Real Madrid

Monaco

Bayern

Porto

all qualified as group winners so far, while the next lot are all second placed

Shakhtar

Juventus

Basel

Leverkusen

Is there not some statistic about only teams who finish top winning the CL?

Off the top of my head, Liverpool weren't group winners when they won it in 2005.

It's probably not quite such a big deal for Arsenal to finish 2nd this season compared to previous seasons. In the past, if 3 other English teams had won groups then Arsenal would have been more or less nailed on to get Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich (particularly if other Spanish or German sides finished as runners-up). They'd still obviously be much better off had they won the group, but they're going to have a much wider range of potential opponents this season - they'd cruise past the likes of Monaco and Porto.

I wonder if Rab B Nesbitt is enjoying himself at Anfield tonight?

Had better nights Lichtie! Could have snatched a win late on but over the 6 games no where near good enough and Basle were the better team tonight.

Right bedtime.

I might make the occasional post if I watching a game, but that's it. I certainly didn't see any post about me, and i find the notion that some complete loser like Bradhorse would get to me hilarious.

Hey now.

I've got feelings, you know.

Off the top of my head, Liverpool weren't group winners when they won it in 2005.

Yep. They finished two points behing Monaco, but were fortunate enough to be drawn against Leverkusen in the next round. Leverkusen had only finished top of their group ahead of Real Madrid on goal difference. Liverpool would have probably beaten that Madrid team as well. That was the season they had Gravesen, Woodgate and Owen.

Fair play to Basel for surprising folk again, most of the guys I know who follow them would have been happy with dropping into the Europa league.

Their scouting system is fairly phenomenal, they seem to have link ups with thousands of teams throughout the country. They are the only Swiss side who can come close to competing with the German teams when it comes to signing youngsters here. Helps when they are bankrolled by one of the worlds largest pharmaceuticals companies but their annual budget is still a lot smaller than their European performances over the last few years suggest it would be.

Archived