Luis Suarez

See how Barca are allowed to sign players until the appeal is heard, could Suarez be able to do similar?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only criticism of the FIFPro response is that, like so many modern bodies/attitudes, it concentrates on the perpetrator and his needs.

That's their job surely, or am I being wooshed?

Never seen that Zidane statue before. Pretty much proves Strachan's point about there being no morals in football

I'm not sure I understand the point you're making here. Zidane headbutted Materazzi because he was wound up and the red mist descended. He didn't do it to cheat, and even if he did then he wasn't successful since he got sent off and France went on to lose the final. A totally unrelated artist then made a statue of the incident as an "ode to defeat" in his own words. It has since been displayed in art galleries in Paris and Doha.

Where does "morals in football" come into this?

I'm not sure I understand the point you're making here. Zidane headbutted Materazzi because he was wound up and the red mist descended. He didn't do it to cheat, and even if he did then he wasn't successful since he got sent off and France went on to lose the final. A totally unrelated artist then made a statue of the incident as an "ode to defeat" in his own words. It has since been displayed in art galleries in Paris and Doha.

Where does "morals in football" come into this?

A previous poster said the statue was displayed outside the French national stadium. If that's the case it strikes me that the French FA are celebrating Zidane's thuggery.

A previous poster said the statue was displayed outside the French national stadium. If that's the case it strikes me that the French FA are celebrating Zidane's thuggery.

The Stade de France is not owned by the French FA so they would not have much if any say in the statue being there.

Or celebrating one of the best players the world has ever seen?

I haven't heard of the statue being displayed outside the stadium. It was outside the Pompidou Centre for a while, and I'd imagine that in a picture that could look like the outside of a football stadium.

Tabarez blaming the English media for the ban?

These Uruguayans are crazy

The only two South Americans I know seem to think that British hysteria is responsible for the ban, which they both deem as excessive. Both felt he should only have a one match ban and that Suarez missing the rest of the world cup is unfair on him.

Maybe this whole 'cultural difference' line that keeps getting mentioned has an element of truth to it.

Thing is the whole 'In impoverished Uruguay it takes everything possible to win a football match, hence why Suarez goes beyond what Europeans might do' argument seems a little incomplete to me. How biting someone helps you win a football match has yet to be explained to me, and if it was a response to his background and culture, why aren't the rest of the Uruguay football team biting the opposition constantly?

The only two South Americans I know seem to think that British hysteria is responsible for the ban, which they both deem as excessive. Both felt he should only have a one match ban and that Suarez missing the rest of the world cup is unfair on him.

Maybe this whole 'cultural difference' line that keeps getting mentioned has an element of truth to it.

Thing is the whole 'In impoverished Uruguay it takes everything possible to win a football match, hence why Suarez goes beyond what Europeans might do' argument seems a little incomplete to me. How biting someone helps you win a football match has yet to be explained to me, and if it was a response to his background and culture, why aren't the rest of the Uruguay football team biting the opposition constantly?

The bite was to distract Chiellini. Affect his concentration, therefore increase Suarez chances of scoring and winning. I knew someone who took a pin on to the park, at junior level, to jag people!

It's in the Doha MOMA now, iirc. It was intended as a work of art, not to glorify the act.

But aye, was never displayed outside a ground.

Good luck in trying to explain that to folk who think Strachan had offered some kind of insight in his comments about morality.

Zidane lost the plot. Suarez lost the plot in a slightly creepier way. That's about all we can take from these two incidents.

Archived