New T in the Park Site (for 2015)

FlyerTon

throbber, on 19 Jul 2015 - 17:40, said:

That's ridiculous though and a clear example that they fucked up with the site location! Why if they were selling 80000 tickets for balado would they downsize to say 50000? Who benefits from this? It's madness

Who mentioned 50,000? Even an extra few thousand can cause serious issues, let alone 30,000.

Plus, I think the site mentioned is cheaper, hence why they were so desperate to get away from Balado and used the opportunity to do so. I'm not sure it makes much difference to DF to reduce the capacity, and depending on how much cheaper we're talking, and how much they drop the capacity, they'd probably still make a tidy profit from it.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who mentioned 50,000? Even an extra few thousand can cause serious issues, let alone 30,000.

Plus, I think the site mentioned is cheaper, hence why they were so desperate to get away from Balado and used the opportunity to do so. I'm not sure it makes much difference to DF to reduce the capacity, and depending on how much cheaper we're talking, and how much they drop the capacity, they'd probably still make a tidy profit from it.

It was just for arguments sakes but proportionally that is how much it may down size

So basically what your saying is they can reduce the capacity at a location most are unhappy about to save themselves some money despite charging the punters more with inflation and then it's all hunky dorey? Do you work for them or something ?

Where did I say it was okay? I didn't, and I think there's issues outside of size that needs to be addressed. But this idea that it's going down the pan is ill founded. Infact, no. It's outright wrong and not going to happen.

Where did I say it was okay? I didn't, and I think there's issues outside of size that needs to be addressed. But this idea that it's going down the pan is ill founded. Infact, no. It's outright wrong and not going to happen.

You may be right but by moving site and down sizing and not accepting responsibility they have lost a lot of their long term punters especially me, which you probably don't care about and neither do the organisers but it matters to a lot of people who are stalwarts of the festival who feel let down . It's another thing in my life that I thought I loved but all the people care about is money not about sentimental and nostalgic value of the festival itself - sad times i tell you

Well, that's the problem. There'll be enough new punters and wankers to line their pockets. And ultimately, if they get paid, they don't particularly care. I've been to three UK festivals now, and T is the one that does their most to try and drain every bit of money from you. The downsizing of the event could lead to the downsizing of the lineup and you could argue that the lineup this year was weaker than any previous. Especially since it became a three day event. And that, again, would make up for some of the loss of attendance.

And they could probably still get away with charging top prices, because you'd still get that same fanbase turning up because "it's T in the Park".

You're right mate - but they have lost my fine self and all the other regular attendee's that i shared some of the best weekends of my life with.

I would welcome a rival festival moving onto Balado, even if it was a quarter of the size and had shite acts i would still go and reminisce over a once great festival that lost its way.

You're right mate - but they have lost my fine self and all the other regular attendee's that i shared some of the best weekends of my life with.

I would welcome a rival festival moving onto Balado, even if it was a quarter of the size and had shite acts i would still go and reminisce over a once great festival that lost its way.

I think it's time to just let it go. Plenty more festivals in the sea.

Savage Henry, on 20 Jul 2015 - 11:35, said:

Green Man would be another, perhaps?

Definitely. Anything of that ilk is probably a good way to go. Wickerman down in Dumfries and Galloway as well for something a bit closer to home.

There were only 60,000 tickets sold this year, 20,000+ down on previous years yet the site is far too small for those numbers, the arena particularly. Outside King Tut's beside the Cocktail bar there was just a narrow area to travel through for what was the main walkway between the Main and Radio 1 stages. At one point it was more tightly packed than the stages themselves with people having to barge through crowds to get across the place. I believe the arena was scaled down due to the osprey problem but if these issues are a problem when the festival is only at 75% capacity (if that) then they need to seriously consider a new/expanded site.

lubo_blaha, on 20 Jul 2015 - 14:39, said:

There were only 60,000 tickets sold this year, 20,000+ down on previous years yet the site is far too small for those numbers, the arena particularly. Outside King Tut's beside the Cocktail bar there was just a narrow area to travel through for what was the main walkway between the Main and Radio 1 stages. At one point it was more tightly packed than the stages themselves with people having to barge through crowds to get across the place. I believe the arena was scaled down due to the osprey problem but if these issues are a problem when the festival is only at 75% capacity (if that) then they need to seriously consider a new/expanded site.

Oaft. 30,000 is probably not bad then as a guess. If they actually went for a smaller scale festival I'd consider it. Something like a Latitude, except with slightly bigger bands in the slots. They could probably still pull in a fair chunk of the 50,000.

I've been going since 2010 and, to be honest, that's the most fun I've had at TITP. Does that mean the line-up was good? No. Does it mean the site was ideal? HELL no.

I don't think DF will care about losing the hardcore punters that are a bit older than the average TITP attendee because they'll turn a profit still from new punters and the neds that are attracted to shitey acts like Calvin Harris, Avicii etc (the type of act where they push play and flash lots of lights).

They'll have to improve the site layout that's for sure. Perhaps the massive space in between the stalls and the cameras at the Radio 1 stage could have been utilised somehow as a walkway between stages so the crushing carry-on wouldn't occur? I've never queued once to get in to TITP but had to on the Saturday and Sunday, which was quite a pishy experience standing about for ages (mainly because I drank all my b*****d wreck the hoose juice an hour before). That'll need to be addressed. Fook knows how they do that if they're sticking with the same sight.

I'm not one of these "Get it back to Balado" or "Make it smaller and get it back to Strathclyde Park with all the britpop acts" kinda guys, but TITP would really benefit from lowering its heights. The Benicassim line ups of the past few years have been really good and TITP would shift 40,000 to 50,000 tickets no problem each day if they had similar acts (maybe replacing the Spanish acts with more household British names). Would also get rid of the Slam Tent and make it a separate festival 2 day festival or something, like the summer sessions. That combined with not booking Calvin Harris, Avicii, Alesso etc would get rid of a lot of neds. In a fantasy world all of this stuff would happen, but it never will and TITP will always remain the same.

We've all decided to go to Benicassim next year, so will give T a miss, unless someone plays that I simply cannot miss and will go for a day.

You know, for a year where you could focus on the negatives with decent results, that's a pretty dreadful article.

I'd say a more pressing concern is that for the first time in a long time, they're not offering early bird tickets right after the festival. Which would tell me there's at least a small bit of uncertainty there.

Journalist in sounds like an arsehole shocker.

For journalist read blogger who likes to plagiarise and can't really write.

My favourite bit; when the first responders came over, "obviously" he started filming, and then got surprised when they looked at him as if he was a halfwit.

Archived