The debate settled - Maradona is the best

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not, but he had a very, very good tournament. It's hardly a disgrace that he won.

It is a disgrace because there were a lot of players ahead of him for the trophy. Even in his own team - would anyone argue against Mascherano winning it for example? He's been tremendous throughout.

Messi hasn't been bad this tournament, but he hasn't been good either, I don't mean judging by some impossible idea we have of him but simply by judging him against other players.

It is a disgrace because there were a lot of players ahead of him for the trophy. Even in his own team - would anyone argue against Mascherano winning it for example? He's been tremendous throughout.

Messi hasn't been bad this tournament, but he hasn't been good either, I don't mean judging by some impossible idea we have of him but simply by judging him against other players.

He was a 6 out of 10 overall, he contributed less and less as the competition went on.

I think its quite disrespectful to the other Argentina players to suggest Messi dragged them to the final. He did score a few goals and create a few but credit has to go to Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Mascherano ect for the amount of clean sheets they kept.

If Higuian scored that chance and Argentina go on to win the match 1-0 does that make Messi the best player ever?

Nothing changes for me. He is still the best of this generation and one of the best ever, obviously the thing he doesn't have in common with the likes of Pele,Maradona , Zidane is he hasn't won the WC (yet) but the amount he has done at club level surely evens it out?

It's impossible to compare players from different eras, there really isn't much point in doing so.

I agree with this, Argentina have played well as a team and arguably it's been their defensive play that has really contributed to their success in the tournament.

I don't think that Messi actually needs to win a World Cup to be considered the greatest, it really takes being a good team to do that, but he does need to perform well in one and I'm not sure he's really done that.

I agree with this, Argentina have played well as a team and arguably it's been their defensive play that has really contributed to their success in the tournament.

I don't think that Messi actually needs to win a World Cup to be considered the greatest, it really takes being a good team to do that, but he does need to perform well in one and I'm not sure he's really done that.

He was also excellent in 2010. That makes two world cups he's performed well in.

He was also excellent in 2010. That makes two world cups he's performed well in.

Who has had 1 excellent World Cup and performed well in another?

Admittedly I don't get that engrossed in World Cups these days, and haven't since 1998, but I don't recall Messi getting a lot of good press about the 2010 World Cup. Didn't they pan him for not being a Harlem Globetrotter type and scoring hat-tricks every game?

I heard that all the awards are voted on at half time of the final.

In the case of Messi he probably won it because he's the guy that sells the most/is used in most adverts. Most of those voting probably decided on him before the tournament started.

Anyway, the only way to settle it is for Messi and Maradona to have a square go.

I heard that all the awards are voted on at half time of the final.

In the case of Messi he probably won it because he's the guy that sells the most/is used in most adverts. Most of those voting probably decided on him before the tournament started.

Anyway, the only way to settle it is for Messi and Maradona to have a square go.

Even Lionel's mum would be sticking her pension on Diego.

Admittedly I don't get that engrossed in World Cups these days, and haven't since 1998, but I don't recall Messi getting a lot of good press about the 2010 World Cup. Didn't they pan him for not being a Harlem Globetrotter type and scoring hat-tricks every game?

Indeed - which seems to be the sole criticism of him this World Cup too - he didn't score with every chance, and gave the ball away a few times. Unacceptable.

Indeed - which seems to be the sole criticism of him this World Cup too - he didn't score with every chance, and gave the ball away a few times. Unacceptable.

He didn't have a bad world cup but you would hardly have noticed him over the last 3 games if he'd been a naebody,

Anyone that felt he had a better world cup than James Rodriguez is deluding themselves, it wasn't even remotely close.

I'd say missing a vital one on one that passes as a sitter at the top level, without even forcing a good save, is entirely unacceptable. Of course, he was still Argentina's best attacker throughout - Higuain had a disgraceful tournament, while Lavezzi and Palacio are just hopelessly out of their depth.

I'd say missing a vital one on one that passes as a sitter at the top level, without even forcing a good save, is entirely unacceptable. Of course, he was still Argentina's best attacker throughout - Higuain had a disgraceful tournament, while Lavezzi and Palacio are just hopelessly out of their depth.

That'll be the same Lavezzi that was one of Argentinas best players last night and was inexplicably substituted at half time?

You're spot on about Palacio though, he looked lost, particularly last night.

Archived