Movies Based on Games

Sweet Pete

We've all seen plenty of movies based on video games over the past couple of decades, some good, some bad, some awful (Super Mario Brothers, Street Fighter, Tomb Raider). In fact, they do seem to be mainly bad or awful overall. However, there's no denying that video games present a rich vein for script writers to base movies on. So, what video games do you think would make good movies? Could be ones that haven't been made into a movie before, could be ones that have been a movie before but could be made better.

Personally I reckon the Resistance series would make for a good sci-fi / action series of movies and the fact that each of the 3 console titles (ignoring the two spin off handheld titles for the minute) already has a fully developped plot would, hopefully, mean it'd be difficult for a movie company to make a c**t of it (though that's never stopped them before).

i'm not particularly into gaming but I'm struggling to think of a decent movie that came from a game, am I right in thinking that Final Destination was a game? If so that maybe the best one I've seen , the first Tomb Raider film wasn't bad I suppose.

The problem is that most of the games that would make the best movies have plots that can't be fitted into a 2-hour film.

They all tend to be shite.

Even the likes of Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Street Fighter were only bearable because of Angelina Jolie, Milla Jovovich and Kylie.

I think they mostly fail due to lack of immersion.

There's no surprise that the most popular games are FPS or RPG/MMORPGs.

When you try and adapt that into cinema, it's bound to be unsuccessful.

The problem is that most of the games that would make the best movies have plots that can't be fitted into a 2-hour film.

This is true and totally understandable but it's also just one of the reasons why a great many game to movie adaptations turn out to be garbage, because the scriptwriters, producers, financiers, editor, director, cast and crew all giving their interpretation of the subject matter (which may be with the best intentions or which may be purely for reasons of financial concern etc) to a story which has already been formed and realised by others in a different format and already gained popularity in that format can result in a scrambled mess. Some in Hollywood simply don't understand the popularity of games and the tastes of their respective fanbases either, which has also been an issue where comic and graphic novel adaptations are concerned.

It's noteworthy that many of the most critically acclaimed movies are not necessarily the highest grossing films and that's often because they're created by people who are more concerned with realising the story than appeasing the bean counters.

The Mass Effect games would make a great movie series, would take a huge budget though.

No they wouldn't.

Heavy Rain was a game with a decent plot and felt a bit like a movie when playing it. A bit of a Saw-like feel to it with the challenges etc you're put through.

LA Noire started that way but it evetually became a bit repetitive.

The first Silent Hill was good, a decent enough thriller/horror and was very faithful to the source material, I haven't seen the sequel tho

I was just coming on to say exactly that. I keep meaning to give the second one a watch as I thought the first one was quite good.

I enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat film. The first time I saw it was at a friend's birthday party (14th I think) and one kid, who's parents were pretty religious (they put up signs at Halloween telling guisers not to come to the door as they think it promotes Satanism) had to leave as he said he wasn't allowed to watch moves rated above a 12. I also dropped ice cream on my trousers.

The Last of Us should make a great movie, it probably wont though.

That's a good shout. Hopefully that one will work out as it's an interesting take on the apocolypse / plague genre.

I really wouldn't want to see this adapted in to a film tbh. For me a film based on this would feel very much like a 'remake'. The game was a film in itself and I really can't imagine any film would be able to top the story we already had.

I'm looking to the Assassins Creed film but I suspect it will be a major let down; it won't stop me going to see it though. Resident Evil was f&cking shite in comparison to the games but Silent Hill was ok I thought. Resident Evil went purely for the action whereas Silent Hill at least tried to put in some eerie horror.

Still love to see a dead space film tho probably end up like the doom film. If they are serious about doing a decent port to film there needs to be appreciation of the source material. Things like Mass Effect have a huge universe with no end of scope for expansion (first contact war as a starter?) tho studios deem they know better. House of the dead is probably the worst I've seen

Archived