Worst Signings in Scottish Football History

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was that a worse deal than giving us 450k for shaun mcskimming?

shaun mcskimming :lol:

Probably not worth £450,000 but he wasn't that bad. And he scored a winning goal at Ibrox. You can't put a price on that!

2009 was a bad summer for Billy but we did have some rays of light. Here's the past 6 years

Sebastian Sorsa

Stephen Ettien
Lucas Akins

Izzy Iriekpen

Marvin Andrews

Luis Rubiales

JP Kissock

David Lohongou

Guillame Beuzelin

Damien Casalinuovo

Some of these guys may have turned out to be decent but other than DC, none of them lasted to see Easter. I'm beginning to doubt whether he even did now! Feel free to add to the list as I'm sure some people are missing.

Terry Butcher will definitely go down in history as ONE OF the worst managerial appointments in Scottish football history.

Motherwell's worst signing is Stevie Kirk (all time top league scorer since league re-organisation in the 70's) + Paul McGrillen (top scorer that season at time of transfer) + six figure sum for.......Eddie May.

Eddie May, an attacking midfield player, who is then played at right back and was rank.

All thanks to Alex McLeish for that tremendous bit of business.

That was a horrendous 'deal' by McLeish. Don't think Eddie May was that bad a player though. Andy Roddie on the other hand.....or the two Austrians, one of whom was Mario Dorner but certainly no Maradona. Or the 3 Irish league players Malpas signed. Or, well, just about everyone Harri Kampman signed, including Brian McClair.

FFS we've signed some utter shite over the years.

Jim Slaven for us in the 90's. Signed for six figures by Murdo McLeod. He was around the same size as Mark Yardley just before he retired.

And yet he wasn't the worst player in that team.

Rangers signed some absolute diddies during their cheating era.

£25M on these guys in one year alone.

Tore Andre Flo, Jesper Christiansen, Marcus Gayle, Christian Nerlinger, and Michael Ball.

None of those players was particularly bad. Flo was excellent, as was Ball. I'm sure you could find far worse from that same era - Capucho, Ostenstadt or however you spell it.... Gayle was rubbish though.

Edit: for County, if we are going by cost/benefit, then Julian Broddle would have to be near the top. In terms of ability, Stuart Malcolm and John Stewart take some beating. I'm not even sure they'd have made our team in our final Highland League season.

We had some good players during the fateful Bonetti era but he didn't half spunk money up the wall on total rank foreigners aswell.

Allesandro Romano, Massimo Beghetto, Walter Del Rio, Gerardo Traverso are a handful that come to mind.

John Brown's signing of Stephen Hughes and Sean Bonnet Johnson in January was pretty awful too. They managed a total of 45 minutes between them.

It always amazes me that folk think players can turn it around despite having shown absolutely nothing at any point to indicate anything of the sort in 100 previous performances. He's absolutely w**k. A 3 year contract. :lol:

Exactly very very rare for a journeyman to turn up at a 3rd club in the same league and suddenly turn into a decent player. All the "good pre season under his belt" stuff is laughable as he will have had that every season and it hasn't helped. We may all be proved wrong by magennis but I very much doubt it !

2009 was a bad summer for Billy but we did have some rays of light. Here's the past 6 years

Sebastian Sorsa

Stephen Ettien

Lucas Akins

Izzy Iriekpen

Marvin Andrews

Luis Rubiales

JP Kissock

David Lohongou

Guillame Beuzelin

Damien Casalinuovo

Some of these guys may have turned out to be decent but other than DC, none of them lasted to see Easter. I'm beginning to doubt whether he even did now! Feel free to add to the list as I'm sure some people are missing.

Terry Butcher will definitely go down in history as ONE OF the worst managerial appointments in Scottish football history.

I liked David Louhoungou (sp).

Forgot about Casalinuovo - awful player. Mind he had an open goal from about 6 yards in 1 game, kicked the ground about a foot in front of the ball and it didnt even reach the line.

Archived