Worst Signings in Scottish Football History

Mo Camara is one of the worst I have seen at St. Mirren. I thought he might turn out to be ok after his debut, that saw him fire a few shots from distance and have to wear a bandage round his head after a collision. But he actually turned out to be a complete and utter liability. His touch, passing and positional sense (or lack of) were all quite something.

To think he featured in the Champions League.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mo Camara is one of the worst I have seen at St. Mirren. I thought he might turn out to be ok after his debut, that saw him fire a few shots from distance and have to wear a bandage round his head after a collision. But he actually turned out to be a complete and utter liability. His touch, passing and positional sense (or lack of) were all quite something.

To think he featured in the Champions League.

Oh Mo Camara. Will never forget his complete absence from the Celtic defence during the most humiliating defeat in their history (other than 4-0 against St. Mirren). Strachan's first competitve game against Artmedia!

Also, I remember he recieved a less than welcoming reception during Celtic's title winning celebrations. He was utterly useless as a defender.

Jarosik wasnt that bad either, some right bizzarre suggestions in this thread.

Edit-Rasmussen wasn't really that bad either, his face just didn't fit under Lennon for some reason.

Rasmussen was rubbish, and had a terrible attitude about trying to get back into the team. Fortune hardly scored any goals, but I suppose that was more down to having a krud manager. However, I think my opinion comes from the price tage more than anything. Same goes for Jarosik, for the cost, the wages, and the prestige, he was a major disappointment for me, same goes for Donati. However, I do understand I have probably swayed a little from "worst' signings, rather mentioning bad signings.

Can we agree that 4m for Jaurez was a digrace? 2.2m for Bangura was a disgrace? and Glenn Loovens was a frequent disaster in defence?

I seem to remember some Saintee on here performing some terrific straw clutching because while his kicking was pish it was OK because you could see Paston was disappointed his kicking was pish.

I remember that :lol:

For us, Craig Beattie. He would've been on a pretty big wage and managed about 50 minutes in 6 months before being released. Absolute waste of space.

Alan Maybury has no place on a list like this IMO. He was a solid utility player for us, although last season was definitely one too many for him at this level.

I seem to remember some Saintee on here performing some terrific straw clutching because while his kicking was pish it was OK because you could see Paston was disappointed his kicking was pish.

Sounds like something I'd do, to be honest

I remember that :lol: For us, Craig Beattie. He would've been on a pretty big wage and managed about 50 minutes in 6 months before being released. Absolute waste of space. Alan Maybury has no place on a list like this IMO. He was a solid utility player for us, although last season was definitely one too many for him at this level.

Craig Beattie was probably the only player Ive ever been right about. Folk on WAP seemed convinced he'd come good and somehow got convinced Beattie was fit, and that Lomas was just saying he was injured because he didnt like him, and that Lomas should go and Beattie would get his chance and score plenty. Then Beattie got released and a week later failed a medical...

Craig Beattie was probably the only player Ive ever been right about. Folk on WAP seemed convinced he'd come good and somehow got convinced Beattie was fit, and that Lomas was just saying he was injured because he didnt like him, and that Lomas should go and Beattie would get his chance and score plenty. Then Beattie got released and a week later failed a medical...

I got slaughtered on WAP for stating all of Del's summer of shame signings were embarrassingly awful. 'Look who they've played for, they can't be that bad, give them a chance, typical Saints fan attitude' etc etc. The fact I'd actually seen the worst culprits 'play' in the flesh meant nothing. The truth ain't allowed on there unless it fits the agenda.

Sounds like something I'd do, to be honest

I have a feeling it was Radford.

Mo Camara, who someone mentioned earlier, is a good shout for ours. There have been worse signings - dross in the first division or guys who played two games and got binned. The problem was Camara was utterly hopeless and bereft of confidence but MacPherson insisted on playing him almost out of spite and to prove some sort of pathetic point - just as he was doing with Potter at the time. Camara needed about three touches to bring the ball under control - yet was in the team when we beat Celtic! One day Dougie Imrie ripped the piss out of him three times in as many minutes and at that point even MacPherson realised it couldn't go on, hooked him and we barely saw him again.

The worst thing on a personal level was that I couldn't rant to other football fans at work about how bad he was because one of them knew him in some weird and wonderful way (his daughter in law was a friend of his wife or something similar). So, as he we slid to what looked like an inevitable relegation that thankfully didn't come to pass I had to keep biting my tongue.

James '1 goal in 79 games' marwood. Lolz ;-)

I see you're going with this in a few threads, so I might aswell put you out your misery. He was a winger in that 79 game spell, he only became a striker last year, and scored 15 odd goals.

If you want to try troll us on one of our wingers not scoring many goals, may I suggest Gary Teale? In 80 league games for us he has scored... Wait for it... 0 goals. Still a great player and sexy as f**k though.

Think all our worst signings have been covered. That winter of 2000 under Hendrie was mental. We were linked with Bebeto and Ronaldinho (yes, that one) agreed to join us but was denied a work permit. We then ended up with Christopher Wreh and Moussa Dagnogo.... Relegation swiftly followed.

I see you're going with this in a few threads, so I might aswell put you out your misery. He was a winger in that 79 game spell, he only became a striker last year, and scored 15 odd goals.

If you want to try troll us on one of our wingers not scoring many goals, may I suggest Gary Teale? In 80 league games for us he has scored... Wait for it... 0 goals. Still a great player and sexy as f**k though.

Think all our worst signings have been covered. That winter of 2000 under Hendrie was mental. We were linked with Bebeto and Ronaldinho (yes, that one) agreed to join us but was denied a work permit. We then ended up with Christopher Wreh and Moussa Dagnogo.... Relegation swiftly followed.

Not quite - Wreh was the following season. Hendrie wanted Bebeto to prove his fitness (effectively wanted him to come on trial). We were also linked with Paul Kitson, Daniel Amokachi and Jorge Cadete as well as the infamous Ronaldinho story.

Dagnogo scored a winner as a trialist on his debut and was then signed, only to be told to do one a month later at about the end of February. The player we did end up with because all else failed was Stephen McPhee who was quite handy even though he didn't score. Most folk wanted him to hang around but he went elsewhere.

Not quite - Wreh was the following season. Hendrie wanted Bebeto to prove his fitness (effectively wanted him to come on trial). We were also linked with Paul Kitson, Daniel Amokachi and Jorge Cadete as well as the infamous Ronaldinho story.

Dagnogo scored a winner as a trialist on his debut and was then signed, only to be told to do one a month later at about the end of February. The player we did end up with because all else failed was Stephen McPhee who was quite handy even though he didn't score. Most folk wanted him to hang around but he went elsewhere.

I'm certain Dagnogo got injured in a game at Tannadice, that put him out for so long it wasn't worth keeping him. He only featured in about 3 games, one of which he scored a very important goal. Wreh was a far worse signing as he was injured when he arrived, never got fit, and was punted soon after.

I'm certain Dagnogo got injured in a game at Tannadice, that put him out for so long it wasn't worth keeping him. He only featured in about 3 games, one of which he scored a very important goal. Wreh was a far worse signing as he was injured when he arrived, never got fit, and was punted soon after.

I think Dagnogo might have decided he was "injured" rather than injured ;) The Wreh thing was weird, I think there were issues on both sides. At one point we tried to punt him on loan to Darlington and he missed his train!

We should have signed Bebeto. Sod his fitness and the wages (which we were apparently able to pay). Think of the buzz and the lift it generated - jesus, look at the buzz when we signed a diddy like Djemba-Djemba last season! We'd have had a noticeable increase in the crowds, it would have been similar to Dundee signing Caniggia at the same time.

Tommy Turner better than Bebeto? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/1213708.stm

Paul Keegan, one of three Irish diddies brought in under Malpas. I remember Malpas's interview at the time the players were signed.

Keegan was described as a "great target man". He couldn't hold the ball up to save his life.

Malloy was described as a "real trickster". I don't think I ever saw him beat a man and he had no pace.

Murphy was a highly unathletic left back with a poor cross and absolutely no pace.

All three were absolutely dire.

Most of Neil Lennons signings.

Qualifying twice and reaching the last 16 in the Champions League and nearly winning the Premiership with a record points total and nearly unbeaten in the league all last season is testament to your post. :rolleyes:

Archived