Worst Signings in Scottish Football History

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised no one remembered Tore André Flo ?

Cost over £12 million and scored a couple of goals meaning he cost over £6 million a goal, surely the contender for the worst signing ever ?

No I wouldn't put him in that bracket. Yes his transfer fee was extremely excessive, but he did score goals for them, but not enough in Europe and Old Firm games IIRC. Overall a poor signing as Rangers could have bought a player for far, far less to do the same job, but not the worst signing in comparison to Danial Prodan for example.

Gordan Petric at Hearts was a poor signing. As was Fitzroy Simpson.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the "Spanish superstar" Motherwell signed that went by the name of Casagolda!

Never scored a goal in his spell with us despite scoring for fun at any other club he played for! Never saw a player miss more chances gifted to him in the 6 yard box in all my life!

Paul Bernard maybe?

Not a "worst signing" in terms of the fact he could, undoubtedly, play the game, but only for the fee and the fact he spent all his time injured!

Oh and a couple of Portaloo's Tom Jones and Gary (canny) Hackett

And you offloaded him to Thistle. You could another Gerry Collins' signing to the list - Jean-Yves Anis from Chelsea Reserves.

The worst Jags signing was probably Derek Johnstone as player-manager, appointed by Ken Bates to replace Bertie Auld! :thumbsdown

Neck and neck with Jean Yves Anis at Thistle.

I remember Anis coming off the bench for Clydebank in a game at Newlandsfield Park. First thing he done was create the winning goal. Looked as though he should have been playing at a far higher level, even from a 30 odd minute cameo. Think he started 3 or 4 games for us and had another half dozen sub appearances, was absolutely terrible, and just looked like he couldn't be f*cked being there. Hard to believe the guy started at Chelsea.

Daniel Prodan, Seb Rozenthal and Rafael Scheidt would be hard to look past in terms of terrible value for money. Scheidt probably wins it for the laughs he provided.

You could have had:

Nicky Walker, Tzanko Tzvetanov, Ilian Kiriakov, Nigel Pepper, Laurent D'Jaffo, Michael Bird, Leon Mike, Dave Bus, Dyron Daal, Gary McDonald, Davide Grassi, Ritchie Byrne, Dan Smith, Jerel Ifil, Andy Dow, Danny Uchechi (did he even play in the first team before being released?) Brian O'Neill..... I could go on but it's really depressing.

Paul Bernard was infinitely better than all of those players.

I forgot about him. Worth it for the daft mask he had to wear when he broke his nose but that's about it. David McNamee was another anonymous one. I forgot about Nikola Vujadinovic as well, who only sticks out in my mind for coming off the bench against St Mirren and then scoring an OG pretty much immediately. Cracking header it was, though.

You could have had:

Nicky Walker, Tzanko Tzvetanov, Ilian Kiriakov, Nigel Pepper, Laurent D'Jaffo, Michael Bird, Leon Mike, Dave Bus, Dyron Daal, Gary McDonald, Davide Grassi, Ritchie Byrne, Dan Smith, Jerel Ifil, Andy Dow, Danny Uchechi (did he even play in the first team before being released?) Brian O'Neill..... I could go on but it's really depressing.

Paul Bernard was infinitely better than all of those players.

Yes he was, but due to an horrendous lack of playing time was, in reality, a very poor signing, in hindsight!

I remember Anis coming off the bench for Clydebank in a game at Newlandsfield Park. First thing he done was create the winning goal. Looked as though he should have been playing at a far higher level, even from a 30 odd minute cameo. Think he started 3 or 4 games for us and had another half dozen sub appearances, was absolutely terrible, and just looked like he couldn't be f*cked being there. Hard to believe the guy started at Chelsea.

I recall one wet Wednesday evening at Firhill against Livi when Jeeves put a ball forward from about halfway to Gerry Britton, who got a belter of a header out of it. One of those goals where if it had been two Barca players people would have wet themselves out of duty and deference.

Jean-Yves is, by all accounts, a gentleman. How he managed to captain the Chelsea reserves must be some tale. Gerry Collins said Jeeves was built like a Chippendale. Never told us he played like one most of the time as well.

Forget your Casagolda's your Charalambous, and even your Eddie Mays.

The worst signing of all time at Fir Park was John Hendry. This was a guy who Spurs bought from, Falkirk or Dundee for £50k. He had scored a barrowload when on loan at Brechin or somewhere and had played well with Scotland Under 15's. He got one game for Spurs and they started loaning him out to clubs like Swindon where he didn't exactly set the heather alight. Alex McLeish went to White Hart Lane and offered, yes offered, £250k. Spurs could barely keep the grin off their faces as they took our money.

The guy couldn't kick his own arse, he was a monster flop. It got os that groan went round the ground when his name was read out, and that b*****d McLeish persevered with him, even although it was obvious to everyoen that the guy had lost it. The b*****d persevered until it reached the stage the poor sod was getting booed onto the pitch.

McLeish is an absolute chunt of a man.

Archived