Best chippy/chipper in Scotland

If you call it a chipper: re-evaluate your life please.

Anstruther and Stonehaven are home to the best chippy's around however, a hidden gem is Armando's in Halbeath. Seriously good fish supper for a bawhair over a fiver.

never tried armando's, will need to give it a bash. I like the brig in dunfermline but the fish is w**k.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^Stander

No, I sit and lean like normal people. Although being a stander would be significantly more acceptable than removing said shite with your hand, and lobbing it at another person.

If I'm home then I will always go to The Golden Fry in Lochgelly even though I'm not a fan of crossing the Fife border I make an exception for this place. Magic. Fish Supper and a single white pudding from there.

Thanks for recommendation... great fish supper from there this evening, only a slight detour when driving up from Edinburgh

Aberdeen is absolutely rank for decent chippys. Have to go out to Stonehaven to get a decent fish supper and even then I don't think that matches up to the standards of some Edinburgh establishments.

Up here it's awash with second rate kebab shops.

Aberdeen is absolutely rank for decent chippys. Have to go out to Stonehaven to get a decent fish supper and even then I don't think that matches up to the standards of some Edinburgh establishments.

Up here it's awash with second rate kebab shops.

The Ashvale is pretty good.

Lived in Edinburgh for years, it's fantastic for a lot of things, but decent chippers is not one of them.

The Ashvale is pretty good.

Lived in Edinburgh for years, it's fantastic for a lot of things, but decent chippers is not one of them.

The Ashvale markets itself as the best - it's actually pretty poor in reality.

Haas is probably the best I've come across.

The Ashvale markets itself as the best - it's actually pretty poor in reality.

Haas is probably the best I've come across.

I was about to mention this also. Hass' is far superior and almost diagonally opposite the cross-roads from the Ashvale too.

Ashvale is still pretty decent though and Glebe Park is jammy as f*** to have one just as you leave the ground.

Edinburgh is shit for chippers.

There are some good chippy's in Edinburgh but like in any chippy/chipper/chip shop it seems to be the luck of the draw sometimes whether you get good fish or chips. The only (nearly) sure way to get decent fish is for it to be fried then and there, and I've had crap chips from good chippy's before when they've run out and put the new batch of chips out too quickly.

The only (nearly) sure way to get decent fish is for it to be fried then and there,

I usually don't make up my mind until I see what's sitting in the 'steamed up window thing' (which is bound to have a name).

if I see a fish left which has obviously been there for a while then I'll probably opt for a pudding of some description just to keep the experience varied. If I hear the magic words "that'll be about a 5 min wait?" to the person in front then fish supper it is.

Not been to The Ashvale for a few years, but tackling the Ashvale Whale and claiming the free pudding was a joy I particularly miss about Aberdern.

I was particularly upset not to get a certificate, having to make do with just having my name on the website. Booooo.

I usually don't make up my mind until I see what's sitting in the 'steamed up window thing' (which is bound to have a name).

if I see a fish left which has obviously been there for a while then I'll probably opt for a pudding of some description just to keep the experience varied. If I hear the magic words "that'll be about a 5 min wait?" to the person in front then fish supper it is.

I'm like that if I'm on my own and have the time, sometimes its just before getting a train home after a nights 'refreshment' and I'll have whatever's in the 'steamed up window thing'. I've seen me go in looking for a supper and leaving with just a poke of chips because I've not fancied anything in the window. The joys and perils of getting a supper eh ?

Archived