Best chippy/chipper in Scotland

Slightly o/t but why are chips from the Chinese good, but usually rotten from Indian or kebab houses?

Why would you order chips from a Chinese/Indian/Middle Eastern takeaway?

Wrong! Just plain wrong.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to hand it to tongue-tied Danny, The Bell Rock in Arbroath is awesome.

The best fish and chips I ever tasted came out of a Chip Van, Russell's Chippy used to sit at the corner of Elmbank Street and Douglas Street in Viewpark every Friday.

Best I've had in Glasgow is at a place called 'The Grove' on Argyle street, nothing fancy but they cook fish to order every time. Makes such a difference. Biggest problem I've noticed here is that unless you are fortunate enough to arrive at the right time, they will give you a fish that has sat in the hot display for ages.

Once at a place called 'Philidelphia', on Great Western Road, I noticed they had some pretty poor looking fish sat in the display. I asked what it was and they told me it was cod, fortunately I wanted haddock so I assumed I would get it fresh. I asked for a haddock and chips, and they took out the cod. I said 'is that not cod?' And they said 'yes, but this is here now, you would have to wait for the haddock', I said I didn't mind waiting but the guy kept bagging up the cod and insisted I had that.

It was chewy and had obviously been sat there for a while. That's my one visit to that place, unsurprisingly I have not been back.

Weird. Any time I've been to the Philadelphia its been magic.

The best chip shop in Edinburgh is L'Alba Doro. It's too close to my work for my own good. The deli/pizza place they run next door is excellent as well, Anima.

L'Alba D'Oro is the best I've been to recently.

I haven't had a fish supper from there for a couple of years but I sat in and had a Pizza there on my todd about 9 months ago and it was tremendous, lovely pizza. Thankfully it's nowhere near my work (I'm in no dire need of fried food) but this thread has reminded me of my last visit and I don't think it will be too long now before I just happen to be passing by and am in need of my dinnner.

Once at a place called 'Philidelphia', on Great Western Road, I noticed they had some pretty poor looking fish sat in the display. I asked what it was and they told me it was cod, fortunately I wanted haddock so I assumed I would get it fresh. I asked for a haddock and chips, and they took out the cod. I said 'is that not cod?' And they said 'yes, but this is here now, you would have to wait for the haddock', I said I didn't mind waiting but the guy kept bagging up the cod and insisted I had that.

It was chewy and had obviously been sat there for a while. That's my one visit to that place, unsurprisingly I have not been back.

I once had chips and cheese from there on three separate occasions in a 24 hour period.

Philadelphia is a crap chippy. Which is slightly odd as it's owned and operated by the same folk who own La Parmigiana next door so you'd expect some sort of standard.

Silvery Tay is the best in Dundee by some way but Frankies Fish Shack is not too bad.

I still think Anstruther is the best one around though.

Anstruther is the benchmark for me but the Wee Hurry in Troon Harbour pushes it hard.

When we had a caravan at Anstruther we used to hear people say that the Pittenweem chippy was better (but never managed to find it open to find out!) - Crail was never mentioned, is it fairly new?

Cut and paste from the last chippy/chipper debate.

chipper 2 (ˈtʃɪpər) n informal ( Irish ), ( Scot ) a fish-and-chip shop
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
chip·py 4 /ˈtʃɪpthinsp.pngi/ Show Spelled [chip-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural chip·pies. British Informal.
a carpenter.
a store selling fish and chips.
Origin:
chip1 + -y2
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source

Seems that chippy is the English version.

A joiner is also known as a chippy.

Also another name for a promiscuous woman or prostitute (chippy, not joiner)

Called a 'Chippy' through here

21311645.jpg

But they're fucking shite in the west of Scotland.

East coast is so much better. So you can call it whatever you want IMO

It's chippy in the Falkirk area (as 8mileBU has pointed out) and that's east coast, well Bo'ness and Grangemouth are anyway before anyone gets pedantic about Falkirk being inland. This weird "chipper" thing appears to be confined to the NE neuk. Pretty sure (been a while since I was last there) that it's even chippy up in Shetland, amongst the local folk that use du kaens as a verbal full stop.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/10/01/best-chippy-in-scotland/

Archived