Best chippy/chipper in Scotland

Also chipper ??? do you also call an icey an icer ?

A what? I can only presume that this is some term for an ice cream shop.

What' the need for sticking 'y' on the end of everything? I bet you called the Chinese the 'chinky' too before it became un-PC.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it called the chinker in Teuchterville?

We don't feel the need to push the exact same rule onto everything.

I must admit, I grew up in the Central Belt with my Weegie-in-denial parents always asking if I wanted a chippy. I always found it a stupid word and it's a delight not to hear it again since I returned to the civilised North East which excels in the whole fish and chips industry.

Additionally, I was horrified to hear my mum say 'roll on sausage' last year despite her migration to the east >30 years ago and I was forced to call her up on it (P&B style) in the good name of humanity.

Chippies in Glasgow are almost universally duff, and only have themselves to blame for their decline. The wonderfully named "Best Chippy" at the Mount Florida end of Hampden is probably as good as Glasgow chippies come.

Anstruther is fantastic. Usually go a few times a year and never disappointed. Best I have ever been too. All the kirkcaldy chippys are pretty meh. Thornton has a decent one but not a patch on anstruther.

A what? I can only presume that this is some term for an ice cream shop.

What' the need for sticking 'y' on the end of everything? I bet you called the Chinese the 'chinky' too before it became un-PC.

Nope we call it the chinkers.

The best chip shop in Edinburgh is L'Alba Doro. It's too close to my work for my own good. The deli/pizza place they run next door is excellent as well, Anima.

"Chip shop"?

Public school boy, IMO.

Finding a chippy in the highlands is too much of a gamble. I gave up years ago although there's one in Tain finally worked out what to do.

Wellington Ayr for my vote

Honourable mention to black mamas in irvine from back in the day

Chippies in Glasgow are almost universally duff, and only have themselves to blame for their decline. The wonderfully named "Best Chippy" at the Mount Florida end of Hampden is probably as good as Glasgow chippies come.

The White Cart Chippy is pretty #dece

Anstruther is fantastic. Usually go a few times a year and never disappointed. Best I have ever been too. All the kirkcaldy chippys are pretty meh. Thornton has a decent one but not a patch on anstruther.

For chippy's in Fife (Anstruther aside) K&K in Leslie is fantastic, everything I get from there is excellent. Only problem is the cue on a Friday or Saturday night.

Amazed it got to the 8th post this time before it descended into a chipper vs chippy thread.

The way it has always been for me is, I go to the chipper for a chippy. The chippy is the food and the chipper is the shop.

As said the one in Anstruther is always very good, also I don't know the name of it but I had an excellent chippy from a chipper in Kinghorn a few years back.

On the West coast, I do like a fish supper from the place in Oban by the ferry terminal, it's perfect before the drive home from a work trip on the islands.

Archived