Buying a car

All depends on what budget you have and what type of car you want,i used to buy and sell cars and I made a good wee profit out of it.I did it at the sub £2000 range however as they were easier to sell.

I would never buy a new car as they drop around 25% as soon as you drive out the showroom.

3 years stress free motoring though.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If at all possible do not go for a PCP deal, or whatever they call them at the dealer, sure it'll be less in monthly payments but at the end you have to stay with the same dealer, walk away with no car and no deposit or fork out over the odds to keep the car. Bearing in mind you'll have to stick to an agreed mileage or pay more if you go over. Garages aren't keen on this because they are doing you a favour, this is their preferred business model, because they make an absolute mint.

If you can buy a new car and pay a bit extra over whatever term to buy the car out right. If you know loads about cars, fixing them and spotting potential problems you might save a fortune doing that.

Buy second hand from a dealer. Dearer than private but offers more protection. I bought a three year old golf last month from a dealer and it was a thoroughly pleasant experience. Threw in a few years servicing too which was handy and gave me more than my old car was worth on a trade in.

I just bought a fiesta through a private sale. 03 plate but has only done 50000 miles and is spotless. Not a mark inside or out has a years mot and 5 months tax and all for only £800. My mates a mechanic and he reckons it will give me no problems. Time will tell I suppose

If at all possible do not go for a PCP deal, or whatever they call them at the dealer, sure it'll be less in monthly payments but at the end you have to stay with the same dealer, walk away with no car and no deposit or fork out over the odds to keep the car. Bearing in mind you'll have to stick to an agreed mileage or pay more if you go over. Garages aren't keen on this because they are doing you a favour, this is their preferred business model, because they make an absolute mint.

If you can buy a new car and pay a bit extra over whatever term to buy the car out right. If you know loads about cars, fixing them and spotting potential problems you might save a fortune doing that.

It all depends what suits. I'm on a PCP deal for a new Seat Ibiza. I had a £2,000 deposit meaning its only costing me £105 per month. I've literally nothing to worry about apart from putting petrol in the car and keeping it clean for the next three years. I also like the idea of being tied into the same dealer (although in reality I'm not tied into them at all). At the end of the term, I obviously have the option of buying the car. Upgrading to a another new one or selling the car back to them and being left with more of a deposit (if not equal to the deposit) I had at the outset anyway. I'll obviously most likely stay with Seat, as I'll get the best deal with them.

Yeah I've always run around in 2nd hand cars mostly 3 or 4 years old which involves a bank loan.but I'm giving the leasing idea some serious consideration it'll work out a lot cheaper a month than a loan and I can just keep getting a new car every 3 years when the warranty is up.

Cars have become a bit of a white good these days.

I hired a car over the weekend to go up to Inverness, an Audi A1. I really enjoyed driving it and it was the sort of thing I'd like to go for.

I spoke to a couple of family members about car leasing and it sounds pretty good to me. I'm no expert on cars (as previously established) so having a relatively new car and coverage by the dealer seems good. I'm not particularly fussed about not owning the car at the end of things and given that my circumstances might change (kids, wife learning to drive) then I'd actually appreciate not being 'locked in'.

Audi's are pretty reliable, although I might look at an A3 rather than an A1. I've found some quotes for leasing that are affordable.

I've been a driver for sixteen years but haven't been on insurance for nine years. Will that mean I'll get a hug equote? I've never made a claim or been done for any motoring offence or anything like that.

Guest The Phoenix

I've been a driver for sixteen years but haven't been on insurance for nine years. Will that mean I'll get a hug equote? I've never made a claim or been done for any motoring offence or anything like that.

Don't know about a hug but the Insurance Company will certainly screw you.

I think any no claims discount you accrued in the past will have been wiped after x number of years uninsured. Someone else can probably confirm this either way. I wouldn't have though the premium would be too bad at your age though, and if you're lucky the dealer may be able to throw in the first year's insurance as a sweetener.

Audis are good cars but Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers.

If you don't have the cash go to a dealer, agree the deal but don't tell them you will take their finance (also don't tell them anything about how you plan on paying for it - even if you have the cash, you want them to think they will get the finance commission, they will lower the price more if they think this as they will get it back from the finance house) .

Get them to give you their best quote once the price has been agreed. This will be around 10% APR. Go online and get a quote, you will get around 4% at today's rate. Chances are they will match this, if they don't tell them you will be back when you have the money. Alternatively fire it on an interest free credit card although personally I prefer a loan for motors as with CC you need to be disciplined and pay off the same monthly amount ans you would the loan or the debt wont dissapear!

You mock but Mrs Ned and I drove nearly new cars for years until my car died big style forcing me to buy a 'run-around' from Gum Tree for £300 that turned out to be that good I just kept it.

It had 10 months MOT on it and it lasted the 10 months without me having to spend a penny on it - at the end of the 10 months I got £165 for scrapping it and went out and bought another 'banger'.

That's 10 months driving for £135 !! Mrs Ned's finance is more than that a month and her car has also generated it's own fair share of costly repair bills.

My current car cost £350 and is fecking outstanding ... I'm actually thinking of putting this one through its MOT which would be the first MOT I've put a car of mine though for about 5 years. (more money saved)

If any of these cars had died big style I wouldn't have repaired them I'd have just scrapped them straight away and bought another cheapo - the current collect from house deals average about £150 ;)

I purchased a car for £200 last November on Gumtree. MOT and service cost me £200 in February and its still going strong today. It is a heap to look at right enough but it only costs me £17 a month Insurance and £20 of fuel gets me over 150 miles.

It is a lottery buying off a private seller, then again car dealerships and garages are only after 1 thing...your money. I have bought 4 or 5 cars in my lifetime most of them private, 1 off Arnold Clark. I have been quite lucky.

I purchased a car for £200 last November on Gumtree. MOT and service cost me £200 in February and its still going strong today. It is a heap to look at right enough but it only costs me £17 a month Insurance and £20 of fuel gets me over 150 miles.

It is a lottery buying off a private seller, then again car dealerships and garages are only after 1 thing...your money. I have bought 4 or 5 cars in my lifetime most of them private, 1 off Arnold Clark. I have been quite lucky.

The aforementioned car went through it's MOT today for £154 :)

Archived