Buying a car

£260 per month is more than I was thinking of paying. I was looking at around £150 per month. I've got money in the bank, but it's all going on a deposit for a new house, so I'm looking at sticking £2k down and paying off about £4-£5k.

I went to Arnold Clark and theyve got some Crackin deals for that sort of money. Don't know what kind of car you are after but for example there was a high spec Clio and meganes in the local Renault dealer that were only 140-160 after a deposit like that. And you'd own the car so none of this lease hire with 6k miles a year pish!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could probably get an 05 plate Audi A3 with under 70,000 miles for a similar price to a slightly newer Alfa, tbh.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd bump this thread.

Looking to buy my first car around Glasgow. I have a budget of around £4k and looking at maybe a second hand Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa. Ideally 1.4 or below. Would be only doing around 3000 miles on it as I walk to and from work and would only use it at the weekends to see friends and family in Edinburgh and Perth and maybe for driving around to take friends to cinema, play guitar etc.

Can anyone recommend where to start? I've heard that I should maybe avoid Arnold Clark, but my flatmate works for their print department and she might be able to get me a discount. Also, I guess they might have better warranty than local dealers? Decided to avoid private altogether.

Been looking at Autotrader. Any other suggestions?

Help me P&B, you're my only hope!

Thought I'd bump this thread.

Looking to buy my first car around Glasgow. I have a budget of around £4k and looking at maybe a second hand Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa. Ideally 1.4 or below. Would be only doing around 3000 miles on it as I walk to and from work and would only use it at the weekends to see friends and family in Edinburgh and Perth and maybe for driving around to take friends to cinema, play guitar etc.

Can anyone recommend where to start? I've heard that I should maybe avoid Arnold Clark, but my flatmate works for their print department and she might be able to get me a discount. Also, I guess they might have better warranty than local dealers? Decided to avoid private altogether.

Been looking at Autotrader. Any other suggestions?

Help me P&B, you're my only hope!

Vauxhall's tend to be cheaper than Ford's. If you went for a Vauxhall I'd recommend an Astra over a Corsa. Much cheaper, especially for something around a 1.4. Similar with Ford's, Fiesta's tend to be a bit more expensive than Focus's.

• 5 months later...

bump to the thread.- also planning on buying a car and am clueless about them

Questions I've got is , how much do I need to spend to get something decent? Only had one car before which I bought of the next door neighbour.

I have about 10k savings now and have been looking at nearly new cars at about this price range. Is this a bit much to spend on a car ?Is it worth buying "nearly new"?

Also - does anyone have an estate car? - What are the pros /cons ?

bump to the thread.- also planning on buying a car and am clueless about them

Questions I've got is , how much do I need to spend to get something decent? Only had one car before which I bought of the next door neighbour.

I have about 10k savings now and have been looking at nearly new cars at about this price range. Is this a bit much to spend on a car ?Is it worth buying "nearly new"?

Also - does anyone have an estate car? - What are the pros /cons ?

I really depends on what you need and what you need it for. Personally I'd never spend that much on a car, as cars are about the quickest depreciating things you can buy and therefore not the best thing you can do with your savings.

You could get a perfectly decent and reliable car for under £2000 (it helps having a knowledgeable mate who can help you look). Otherwise if you only need a small runabout there are plenty of deals on new small cars for around £150 a month.

I'll make it a hattrick of wanting new cars... Opposite of Keith though, thinking of going back to a petrol car. I don't do enough motorway driving to get the most out my current diesel car. Could be doing with jumping down a few insurance groups too.

I do 40 miles a day so a diesel would save me a good few quid and the Juke is only £20 a year road tax.

I really like the Citreon C3 but I'm informed they're actually not very good.

My father-in-law has a Nissan Note, the mother-in-law, the Micra and I really like those as well. However, the nicest car they've had was the Yaris. Decisions, decisions...*

*that I won't be making anytime soon, unfortunately.

I bought a Yaris 4 years ago. I don't really care about cars so just wanted something small and cheap to run. I got a very good deal on it so that was the sole reason I went for it over other makes.

It has served me really well and has cost nothing in repairs (as in £0). Not exactly the best looking car but seems to be ludicrously sturdy

I really like the Citreon C3 but I'm informed they're actually not very good.

My father-in-law has a Nissan Note, the mother-in-law, the Micra and I really like those as well. However, the nicest car they've had was the Yaris. Decisions, decisions...*

June's car only had 8k miles on it when we bought it,barely run in.We get 55 MPG so it is ok the way.

We bought the Note for her last year, the 2014 model (not the boxy one)

I never drive it so can't comment on performance but she uses it for shopping and the baby but its deceptively large, cheap to insure and is actually not an unattractive car.

I have a works van which I take home daily so my car pretty much sits there all week doing a couple of miles a day if your lucky. Maybe 40 miles or so at weekends, again if your lucky. Considering getting rid of my car all together to be honest. We could probably manage fine with just Mrs Mile's car and my van but I can't really put too much mileage on my works van outwith work hours. Commiting to not having my own car and not having the option of being able to go anywhere I want whenever I want is tough though. When I think of the money I'm squandering on my car though... Decisions decisions.

Anybody want to buy a Golf GTtdi?!

I was looking at GTI's but realised that there was no point at my age, simply can't afford it without a set in stone job.

So I reckon if and when my next fully permanent job and a bit of security, I'll buy a new VW Polo Gti, meant to be a cracking rival to a Fiesta ST, reckon I can grab one for 250/300 a month on dealer finance. But that's a long way off, but then again my current car is getting a battering from the number of miles in doing.

Archived