Buying a car

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended up buying a second hand Kia Pro Cee'd. It's a diesel, three door and I really like it. It's five years old and still has two years on the warranty. It's super reliable and I got it for just under £6,000. Nothing gone wrong with it during it's whole life.

I've been driving into work but am going to stop that once the nights get lighter. Took it up to Inverness a few weeks ago, absolutely fine. It's pretty powerful for a smaller car.

I bought my current car, a Peugeot 308 Diesel about a year and a half ago, it was only a few months old at the time and had done roughly 6k miles.

It's the last model of the old shape ones and as such has every bell and whistle on it, dual zone climate control, sat nav, cruise control, automatic lights, wipers etc.

Paid just under £10k for it which I was quite happy with. In that time I've put about 35000 miles on it as I have quite a lengthy commute. I'm quite a saddo when it comes to fuel economy and have become very disciplined at it... very rarely exceed about 1750RPM unless cruising on the motorway. Over the time I've owned it it's returned an average of about 74mpg. My best tank was just over 80mpg but that was comprised of several very long motorway trips at night time.

Any other hypermilers/sad b*****ds on here?

If you're looking for a cash discount on a new motor look out for pre registered cars from the previous year which haven't sold, particularly around this time of year when the new reg is about to come out.

They will be desperate to move it on as they are losing around 3% of the car's value per month purely because it has been registered.

I bought my current car, a Peugeot 308 Diesel about a year and a half ago, it was only a few months old at the time and had done roughly 6k miles.

It's the last model of the old shape ones and as such has every bell and whistle on it, dual zone climate control, sat nav, cruise control, automatic lights, wipers etc.

Paid just under £10k for it which I was quite happy with. In that time I've put about 35000 miles on it as I have quite a lengthy commute. I'm quite a saddo when it comes to fuel economy and have become very disciplined at it... very rarely exceed about 1750RPM unless cruising on the motorway. Over the time I've owned it it's returned an average of about 74mpg. My best tank was just over 80mpg but that was comprised of several very long motorway trips at night time.

Any other hypermilers/sad b*****ds on here?

My Clio diesel is currently returning around 61 - 65 MPG, but that's my commute which is around 20 miles each way compromised of around half "town" driving and half motorway.

I reckon on a long motorway journey I could get it up into the 70's quite easily.

My Clio diesel is currently returning around 61 - 65 MPG, but that's my commute which is around 20 miles each way compromised of around half "town" driving and half motorway.

I reckon on a long motorway journey I could get it up into the 70's quite easily.

Good work Sir.

My 16 mile one way commute gives me a consistent 18 mpg.

Roond ye's ya tree hugging so and so's.

In fairness, the only reason I started it in my daily car was so I could drive my MX-5 at full tilt at the weekend. It was still suprisingly economical.

Got myself a remapped Audi S3 3 months ago. Cost around 14k but well worth the money and us great fun to drive for a daft 23 year old like myself. 4 wheel drive too and has 322bhp so yeah its quick.

Also got a blue finch range rover in a sort of cosmic blue which I use mainly as a business vehicle because I don't get charged vat for it or tax so costs next to nothing.

Still prefer the Audi!

Got myself a remapped Audi S3 3 months ago. Cost around 14k but well worth the money and us great fun to drive for a daft 23 year old like myself. 4 wheel drive too and has 322bhp so yeah its quick.

Also got a blue finch range rover in a sort of cosmic blue which I use mainly as a business vehicle because I don't get charged vat for it or tax so costs next to nothing.

Still prefer the Audi!

Very rich 23 year old. What team do you play for? Surly not Dundee.

Archived