Buying a car

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found my old bmw up for sale. I quite liked the car but it's a bit like an old girlfriend. Maybe better to just keep away from it.

But then again.....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503302186696/sort/atcustom/make/bmw/postcode/eh222ht/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/usedcars/radius/5/channel/cars/page/1?logcode=p

That's the car that the wife bought for cash brand new on a whim and then sold it for a huge loss :(

Given both our useless records with money since I doubt if we could afford it now :lol:

In fact, that's the car that when we were driving home in it with only 15 miles on the clock, some kids thought it would be fun to bounce a large rock off the bonnet as I drove past them. Then a couple of weeks later it got the brake fluid body wash during the night.

Hate to think what folk might have done if we had upset them :lol:

I bought my current car, a Peugeot 308 Diesel about a year and a half ago, it was only a few months old at the time and had done roughly 6k miles.

It's the last model of the old shape ones and as such has every bell and whistle on it, dual zone climate control, sat nav, cruise control, automatic lights, wipers etc.

Paid just under £10k for it which I was quite happy with. In that time I've put about 35000 miles on it as I have quite a lengthy commute. I'm quite a saddo when it comes to fuel economy and have become very disciplined at it... very rarely exceed about 1750RPM unless cruising on the motorway. Over the time I've owned it it's returned an average of about 74mpg. My best tank was just over 80mpg but that was comprised of several very long motorway trips at night time.

Any other hypermilers/sad b*****ds on here?

Respect!! You the man :wub:

I have worked in the motor trade for 25 years and have yet to meet a car salesman that isn't a knob . How's that for in the know Paul Cicero ?

You would think that after 25 years experience of 'working' in the motor trade you would aspire to be your own man and own your own business ;)

I have just bought a Megane Coupe 1.5 dCi and the reported MPG is 80.4 mpg,bet I get nowhere near that.Mind you I like the zero road tax

Zero road tax/80.4mpg yet its still a Renault.

Getting a new E Class on Thursday, only £30 a year road tax compared to my existing 4x4. Should also save about £700 a year on fuel and that's being realistic about the mpg.

I recently got a 1.4 diesel kia ceed. Fuel economy on it is great so far, can get 75 mpg if i drive really frugally on the way to work, mostly motorway. Driving 'normally' on the motorway gets around 66 mpg.

New wheels imminent - we'd been talking about it for a few weeks, but our decision has been accelerated by the bonnet of the current car spontaneously deciding to open and cover the windscreen at 40mph yesterday afternoon. The scrappy awaits.

Archived