Buying a car

Aye he showed me when the car was raised a bit, 1 was defo balding, the other was "close" to the marker. It was fermers in Paisley and they do take the piss sometimes, not in my experience but others I know have had problems with them.

Got a voucher for National tyres buy 1 tyre get 1 free, if the brand is Avon or Barum. Looked them up they seem really good makes. Looking at £100 for the pair fitted.Anything to do with tyres freaks me out so I'd rather get them sorted.

3mm is the legal limit, part worn place in Paisley can fit them £20 per tyre or £70 for the set and they are between 5-6 mm. Sounds good but again I think I'd rather go brand new.

You're allowed one third of your tyre to be bald, if its at one edge, and the other two thirds is legal. An MOT garage would pass a tyre like this, as its legal, while a tyre garage would tell you it needs replaced. Both are correct in their own way. I'm sure Farmers do MOTs, so they're likely just hunting for business by criticising another garage

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right I've looked in my works car leasing scheme for a decent wee hatchback and my options are as follows

- Audi A1. I drove one of these on hire a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, excellent wee car. It's £242.44/month, 3 door diesel.

- Ford Fiesta. Gets good reviews, good to drive and decent value. £249.45/month, 3 door diesel.

- Mini Cooper. Meets all my specifications but I've never really fancied them. £248.50/months, 5 door diesel.

- Seat Ibiza Coupe. Gets good reviews and is apparently very good to drive. £236.89/month, 3 door diesel.

- Citreon DS3. Good engine, value but apparently doesn't drive as well as some of the others. £220.03/month.

What do P&B think? I'd probably like the A1 but I think my wife thinks I just want to be an Audi driver :lol: They are cracking wee cars though.

All are good cars, sort of depends what you need it for. The Audi is clearly the best on though.

New tyre place might just be trying to punt tyres. Have you checked them yourself? I think 3mm is the legal limit.

The legal limit is 1.6mm. There is a tyre tread depth indicator on all tyres. Once the tread is flush with that, youre on the limit.

There's a company lease2buy that are good but they do finance over 3 years so it costs a little more pm depending on your deposit. We just got a 11plate Astra for 750deposit and 260pm over 30months with a 450 final payment. You should give them a try

£260 per month is more than I was thinking of paying. I was looking at around £150 per month. I've got money in the bank, but it's all going on a deposit for a new house, so I'm looking at sticking £2k down and paying off about £4-£5k.

Right I've looked in my works car leasing scheme for a decent wee hatchback and my options are as follows

- Audi A1. I drove one of these on hire a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, excellent wee car. It's £242.44/month, 3 door diesel.

- Ford Fiesta. Gets good reviews, good to drive and decent value. £249.45/month, 3 door diesel.

- Mini Cooper. Meets all my specifications but I've never really fancied them. £248.50/months, 5 door diesel.

- Seat Ibiza Coupe. Gets good reviews and is apparently very good to drive. £236.89/month, 3 door diesel.

- Citreon DS3. Good engine, value but apparently doesn't drive as well as some of the others. £220.03/month.

What do P&B think? I'd probably like the A1 but I think my wife thinks I just want to be an Audi driver :lol: They are cracking wee cars though.

With regards to the Audi have you not looked at the VW Polo, essentially the same car with a slightly less fancy skirt on! At A1 level you're essentially buying the badge and do you do the miles and journey length to justify a diesel? If you do it might make more sense, comfort wise, to step up to the likes of a Golf, A3, A Class or Focus.

Unless your transporting James Foley around in the back id avoid an A1. There's no room in the bleeding things, id go for the Seat for comfort.

Unless your transporting James Foley around in the back id avoid an A1. There's no room in the bleeding things, id go for the Seat for comfort.

I don't have any kids so it'd just be me and wife in the car most of the time. I hired an A1 a few weeks ago to drive up to Inverness and really enjoyed it. I'm not really fussed about having a big car and you get an excellent interior with the A1 and it's nippy and good to drive as well.

Car leasing is a strange business. You can lease cars for £4,000/month with a £10,000 deposit - why? If you can afford a one-off payment of £14,000, why not just buy a car?

As part of my mission to turn P&B into Top Gear.com I've started to think that just getting a car loan and buying a second hand motor would be the best thing to do. If I lease a car for three years on the rates above it'll cost me around £8-9000. I can get a car loan for that, pay back less a month and after three or hour years own the car. Risk being that I'd have to buy second hand and I know feck all about cars.

I've seen an Alfa Romeo 159 for sale, it looks very nice. Unsure if 'because it looks cool' is a valid reason to buy a car though.

What questions should you ask re: a used car? I know to check if the timing belt has been done, when the last service was, if it has a service history. What warranties can you get from second hand car places, are they worth the charges.

Here's the Alfa I've seen.

alfa-romeo-159-saloon-2-4-jtdm-lusso-4dr

Archived