Buying a car

I've been a driver for sixteen years but haven't been on insurance for nine years. Will that mean I'll get a hug equote? I've never made a claim or been done for any motoring offence or anything like that.

I got shafted by the Post Office Insurance arm when I couldn't find the bit of paper proving my no claims with my previous firm. I dumped them and called the National Farmer's Union. I just told them how many years and that was it. Got a good rate too, and they didn't hike it up when I renewed. A few friends use them too, and rate them. I'm sure there's a data base that Insurance companies can check you out anyway. Don't go near the Post Office, they also upped my rate when I was a day late returning a form.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest honestrae95

I'd recommend looking at Motorpoint cars if you're looking for a 2nd hand car that's almost new. You wouldn't know they're 2nd hand by looking at them as they're absolutely spotless but the cars will maybe have 10-15,000 miles on the clock. The finance and auto-lease policies they have are very good as well.

I went through a leasing company Time4Leasing for a quote on an Audi A3.

I've had a call back from a lady from the Hippo Motor Group - anyone got any experience?

I went through a leasing company Time4Leasing for a quote on an Audi A3.

I've had a call back from a lady from the Hippo Motor Group - anyone got any experience?

Try lease2buycars we just put a 700 deposit on a 11 plate astra with 20k for 230pm. We know a few folk that use them and they've no complantes

I am also now in the market for a motor. I gave my current screeve - a VW Polo TDi - to my niece.

The Polo was a good wee car for commuting back and forward from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh, but it was a 3 door, so not very handy for wife and 3 kids. I'm thinking of going all 'Grizwald mobile' and getting some form of big family motor - Renault Scenic, Ford C Max, VW Golf Plus and VW Passat estate under consideration - preferably with road tax under £30 and over 60 MPG, but I might just revert to form and get a 5 door VW Golf.

Thoughts? Anyone got any of these cars?

I'll read through the rest of this thread and see what the combined intelligentsia of P&B came up with.

I may very well be in the market for a motor soon. PCP deals won't fly for me as I'll more than likely be doing 100 - 120 miles per day / ca. 35K per year, which is significantly over the 8 - 10K limit on most PCP deals !!

Need to get something which will be reliable and economic - a friend of a friend swears by Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDi. Anyone got any experience ?

Was thinking to take out a loan with our mortgage provider as my credit rating is shite (i think)......

If you mainly drive about town, avoid a diesel car with a diesel particulate filter. These filters will clog up with soot if you don't go for a blast at 3,000-4,000 rpm at 60 mph or so on a regular basis (to get the exhaust temps hot enough to burn off the soot)

Failure to do this will eventually lead to limp home mode with a flashing DPF filter light. You then have to go for a 'blast' again at high revs to clear it.

New MOT rules for DPF filters:

Edit to add: Eventually the DPF filter needs replacing and this is not cheap. Can run into four figures at a main dealer.

Buy a petrol car if you mainly drive about town is my advice.

Sold my wee car for £400 and upgraded to a Seat Ibiza for £650 off gumtree, it has 12 months MOT on it and the advisory said there is 1 tyre with a nail in it and another close to the legal limit. So it took it to a tyre place in Paisley and it turns out 1 of the tyres is actually illegal and another one is close to being illegal. I have only done about 100 miles in it and the inside of the illegal tyre is actually bald. Theres no way the tyre should have made it through the MOT, makes me wonder what else is actually wrong with it. Should i report the garage that passed it?

The person had a relative that worked with the garage. I know I should have spotted the bald bit on the tyre but from what I seen it looked ok, I was going by the MOT advisory.

I'll be buying 2 new tyres this weekend regardless.

Sold my wee car for £400 and upgraded to a Seat Ibiza for £650 off gumtree, it has 12 months MOT on it and the advisory said there is 1 tyre with a nail in it and another close to the legal limit. So it took it to a tyre place in Paisley and it turns out 1 of the tyres is actually illegal and another one is close to being illegal. I have only done about 100 miles in it and the inside of the illegal tyre is actually bald. Theres no way the tyre should have made it through the MOT, makes me wonder what else is actually wrong with it. Should i report the garage that passed it?

The person had a relative that worked with the garage. I know I should have spotted the bald bit on the tyre but from what I seen it looked ok, I was going by the MOT advisory.

I'll be buying 2 new tyres this weekend regardless.

New tyre place might just be trying to punt tyres. Have you checked them yourself? I think 3mm is the legal limit.

New tyre place might just be trying to punt tyres. Have you checked them yourself? I think 3mm is the legal limit.

Aye he showed me when the car was raised a bit, 1 was defo balding, the other was "close" to the marker. It was fermers in Paisley and they do take the piss sometimes, not in my experience but others I know have had problems with them.

Got a voucher for National tyres buy 1 tyre get 1 free, if the brand is Avon or Barum. Looked them up they seem really good makes. Looking at £100 for the pair fitted.Anything to do with tyres freaks me out so I'd rather get them sorted.

3mm is the legal limit, part worn place in Paisley can fit them £20 per tyre or £70 for the set and they are between 5-6 mm. Sounds good but again I think I'd rather go brand new.

I have used Farmers in Hillington and in the past, always been really good and the cheapest I could find. 100 bucks for 2 new tryes fitted is good, check though they might try add cash for balancing, trye disposal and new valves.

As you say best to deffo get new rather than part worn.

eta if you go to the farmers web site, you can put your reg in and find out how much different tyres cost.

Don't get part worn as they will not last long and you will then shortly have to buy new tyres anyway. I am not sure if they still do them but Halfords used to sell a set of four alloy wheels with low profile tyres on them for not a great deal more than the likes of Kwik fit used to charge for four ordinary tyres on their own. I've got a poxy little Clio that has odd sized tyres that are about £70 each and Halfords were doing the alloys set for about £350.

You can get a 1.6 tdi seat ibiza for £105 a month with a grand deposit. Cracking cars with good diesel engines and cheap tax.

Can you get them for that price in Scotland?

I have been looking at medium sized family hatchbacks, such as Hyundi i30 and Peugot 308. 5 door, diesel versions. They seem to be around the £6k to £7k mark for 2010-2011 models, but if I could get a new Seat Ibiza for a grand deposit and £105 a month, i'd probably be interested.

Macklin Motors are doing 0% APR for 5 years, but you have to put half the value down as a deposit.

http://www.macklinmotors.co.uk/used-cars/5-years-0/

• 2 weeks later...

Right I've looked in my works car leasing scheme for a decent wee hatchback and my options are as follows

- Audi A1. I drove one of these on hire a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, excellent wee car. It's £242.44/month, 3 door diesel.

- Ford Fiesta. Gets good reviews, good to drive and decent value. £249.45/month, 3 door diesel.

- Mini Cooper. Meets all my specifications but I've never really fancied them. £248.50/months, 5 door diesel.

- Seat Ibiza Coupe. Gets good reviews and is apparently very good to drive. £236.89/month, 3 door diesel.

- Citreon DS3. Good engine, value but apparently doesn't drive as well as some of the others. £220.03/month.

What do P&B think? I'd probably like the A1 but I think my wife thinks I just want to be an Audi driver :lol: They are cracking wee cars though.

Can you get them for that price in Scotland?

I have been looking at medium sized family hatchbacks, such as Hyundi i30 and Peugot 308. 5 door, diesel versions. They seem to be around the £6k to £7k mark for 2010-2011 models, but if I could get a new Seat Ibiza for a grand deposit and £105 a month, i'd probably be interested.

Macklin Motors are doing 0% APR for 5 years, but you have to put half the value down as a deposit.

http://www.macklinmotors.co.uk/used-cars/5-years-0/

There's a company lease2buy that are good but they do finance over 3 years so it costs a little more pm depending on your deposit. We just got a 11plate Astra for 750deposit and 260pm over 30months with a 450 final payment. You should give them a try

Archived