Buying a car

Some arse ran into the back of my 5 series, currently have a Vauxhall Agilla hire car.

Seriously considering public transport. The novelty of reving a small engined run about to the red line every where has worn off very quickly.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a particular reason for buying the Compact over a normal saloon or coupe?

Work at a garage and it got traded in there, so decided to go for it while the opportunity was there. 60k miles, I can speak to the previous owner at any point and its got a years MOT. No brainer really, to me.

Also seemed to cheaper to insurance, and with me just turning 23 thats a bonus. The AA still refused to insure me though and then gave me a mental quote.

Had a rear-wheel drive car before RG? If not, I advise you to go easy on the accelerator.

I've never owned one but I've driven them for the past four years with my work. Only problem will be when the winter snow comes, but again, I've driven rear wheel drive BMWs through that before. Although when i say drive I mean sit with the wheels spinning in one spot until the rear tyres hit concrete and then repeat this every yard I travel.

I'd probably choose a Fiesta ST over a Polo GTi tbh, VW have gone right downhill lately, and they're now less reliable despite the massive price increase.

Wouldn't get a car on dealer finance though, seems a false economy to me. Pay £300 a month for three years then still have to stump up a massive fee at the end to actually get the car for yourself? Doesn't sound wise to me.

That's PCP financing which is only really sensible if you are planning on changing your car for a new one every two or three years.

You can still get higher purchase financing where you don't have the balloon payment at the end but if you have a good credit history and stable job the best option would be a bank/personal loan as you can get a pretty decent APR at the minute.

I've had 4 cars, got this VW Golf last year, £3500 deposit and £145 a month finance for 3 years (already paid 1 up).

Definitely found it the easiest way to get something I liked after my last car got written off (not my fault) at an affordable price. Can either trade it in and change for something else (said they'll p/e it and give me £3400 minimum for it) or keep it.

Thinking of keeping it tbh. Didn't have to use the banks or nothing, just through Arnold Clarks finance company Alphera.

post-14721-14270704585273_thumb.jpg

I fancy a new car as well. With mini-Endie (number 2) due at the end of July it's likely we will need a bigger car. Currently have an 08 plate Focus, but fancy a diesel next time. Any recommendations for something like an estate car?

We bought the Note for her last year, the 2014 model (not the boxy one)

I never drive it so can't comment on performance but she uses it for shopping and the baby but its deceptively large, cheap to insure and is actually not an unattractive car.

My father-in-law's got a 63 plate and they are, as you say, not unattractive at all for what is basically a family car.

I'm driving an 08 Fiat Panda at the moment, it had something like 24,000 miles on it when my father in law bought it for me and I've had it 9 months now and never had any problems with it, other than the fact it's only 4 seats meaning the youngest two are sitting awfully close together and take great pleasure in annoying each other on journeys lasting more than 10 minutes. I'd like a bigger car so that they're a bit further apart and I don't have "he's on my side!" every 30 seconds.

I am in the market for a new car or second hand. Last time I used Halshaws they were ok and they are close to the house.

I just cant be bothered with all the sales pish. And I will haggle. If this money form my pension appears I will have plenty of cash.

Guest The Phoenix

I've given in to being old... just changed from a 120d M Sport Coupe to a 520d Efficient Dynamics.

Way better consumption :) but nowhere near as much fun. :(

I wrote off my car a couple months back. Vauxhall corsa 1.2 limited edition. Cracking wee car.

Thinking about a 0.9 tce clio dynamique medianav next and been looking a lot at motorpoint. Anyone used them before?

:lol:

she he flogged it 18 months later on a similar whim for relative peanuts.

Edit. This iPad is getting worse, takes ages for the type to appear and tries to double write the words sometimes.

do you get a discount if you offer to pay the whole thing in cash upfront or is that just a myth?

has anyone ever done this successfully?

No. Don't tell them how you're going to pay until you've agreed a price!

Archived