Armed Police on Scotland's Streets

Paul Hutcheon's been writing about this and policing in Scotland generally over the past few weeks in the Sunday Herald; namely proliferation of armed police and stop and search. It's nice to see other papers starting to cotton on as well to this.

Sadly, the introduction of 'Police Scotland' seems to have spawned an authoritarian turn for the worse where policing is concerned.

There are very few places in Scotland or the UK for that matter where I expect to see the police armed (airports and military bases), but the fact that the police were carrying guns at a Support Palestine rally was completely unnecessary and out of order. One of the proudest things we can say about policing in our country is that you seldom see a police officer carrying a gun, and there's no doubt that in turn has helped to keep the number of gun murders in the UK down.

In Scotland, at least, that tradition seems to be fading, which is a shame.

I'm delighted that there are armed cops patrolling Inverness. I've lost count the nights out I've had ruined because of yet another gunfight on Academy Street.

Well stop bloody gunfighting then, Chris, it's not rocket surgery!

Police Scotland

Paul Hutcheon's been writing about this and policing in Scotland generally over the past few weeks in the Sunday Herald; namely proliferation of armed police and stop and search. It's nice to see other papers starting to cotton on as well to this.

Sadly, the introduction of 'Police Scotland' seems to have spawned an authoritarian turn for the worse where policing is concerned.

There are very few places in Scotland or the UK for that matter where I expect to see the police armed (airports and military bases), but the fact that the police were carrying guns at a Support Palestine rally was completely unnecessary and out of order. One of the proudest things we can say about policing in our country is that you seldom see a police officer carrying a gun, and there's no doubt that in turn has helped to keep the number of gun murders in the UK down.

In Scotland, at least, that tradition seems to be fading, which is a shame.

I follow an account on Twitter @kathmurray1 who writes about this. She had a blog but it seems to have vanished, she's currently writing a PHD on stop and search policy.

Another example of the centralised approach to policing were the farcical raids on Edinburgh's massage parlours and gay saunas, which had operated for decades without any major issues. A few months after Police Scotland is created hundreds of cops go through the doors and dragoon sex workers into the street for questioning. Absolutely disgraceful.

There's an article on this here - http://www.journalonline.co.uk/Magazine/59-7/1014190.aspx#.U9X5yOQckVZ.twitter

But I like gunfighting.

Was Sir Stephen House's appointment to Chief of Police Scotland a wise one - given that most of his career was carved out in various forces south of the border, and including the Metropolitan Police?

It's like the wild west up there what with all the sheep rustling as such.

we should all be allowed guns and there should be as many guns available as possible to anyone who wants one. After all there is hardly any gun crime in the US of A.

I'm not a great fan of the police, but I suppose thy serve a purpose. Since the inception of Police Scotland some things that previously seemed to run fairly smoothly have gone all to f**k. This thing with the guns would be one example. How did they get away with doing this without a debate in parliament?

Another far more minor thing I noticed was last season at the football. Someone at the Police made the decision that they wouldn't shut the road outside Starks Park at full-time. There were a couple of near misses with cars and spectators.

I would have thought that apart from the badge change, thing would have stayed as they were. Obviously not.

I'm not a great fan of the police, but I suppose thy serve a purpose. Since the inception of Police Scotland some things that previously seemed to run fairly smoothly have gone all to f**k. This thing with the guns would be one example. How did they get away with doing this without a debate in parliament?

Another far more minor thing I noticed was last season at the football. Someone at the Police made the decision that they wouldn't shut the road outside Starks Park at full-time. There were a couple of near misses with cars and spectators.

I would have thought that apart from the badge change, thing would have stayed as they were. Obviously not.

It was the Traffic Wardens job, we don't have them any more, their duties have been devolved to Fife Council.

It was the Traffic Wardens job, we don't have them any more, their duties have been devolved to Fife Council.

RIP traffic wardens. Nearly RIP supporters. The helpful policeman on hand did at least scream at supporters to get off the road. I helpfully screamed back that maybe he should shut the fucking road seen as that's what usually happens. I think I actually just shouted "well shut the road then, ya fucking idiot."

The Police in Scotland and Britain have had armed officers for years. how many innocent people have they shot? Excluding Brazilian's.

Armed Police have a miniscule affect on the general population.

Extremists should be dealt with in the same extreme manner that they deem correct. if that means shooting a terrorist intent on killing innocent civilians, then so be it.

I'm more worried by the weegies taking over the Police all over Scotland. With their proven connections, does this mean drugs in Inverness will be cheaper, or more expensive?

Archived