Rosetta...Comet landing.

keptie

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's to find answers to very fundamental questions about the history of our own planet, how it evolved. The overall costs were in the order of 1.4 billion euros. If you divide it by the 20 years that the development and the mission has cost, it's a matter of cents per European citizen per year... contributing to this new knowledge that we get about the evolution of our own planet and the fundamental question: if life really emerged on Earth, or if it might have been brought to Earth by such comets many billions of years in the past."

Why the f**k do we not have hundreds of these projects on the go. Our government spend billions on Trident when we could be fully funding projects like this to support jobs and eventual stimulate a private-sector space industry in this country.

Because you can't invade oil producing countries with satellites ^_^

They think it landed, bounced off, and landed again. Not hearing any signals from it now, so it there could be problems. My bet's the Soupdragon's taken it underground.

They seemed relaxed about no signals for hours due to line if sight etc.

My arse. That's Type 1 hardcore. You can get that for 100 quid a ton up at Bairds farm.

Yeah, someone should tell them about Beatsons. I can take a picture on my phone for free. Beat that so called scientists!

If you're being sold that shite as Type 1 you're being ripped off.

Aye, I think someone's gone a bit mental with the crusher at the quarry.

In other news, if anyone's wondering what size the comet is, here it is compared to Los Angeles:

post-25521-0-68708600-1415869070_thumb.j

Imagine being the guy who worked for the last twenty years on the harpoons, and they didn't work.

To be fair - moving parts in a vacuum at a couple fo degrees above absolute zero for ten years. It was always gonna be the dodgy bit.

Get somebody up there with a can of WD40. It will be fine.

It's the single best reasonf ro manned spaceflight. With the best will in the world, an electrical fault in a heating system can cripple an unmanned probe with no hope of repair. At least if you've got someone up there you can do something about it.

Archived