Rosetta...Comet landing.

keptie

It's the single best reasonf ro manned spaceflight. With the best will in the world, an electrical fault in a heating system can cripple an unmanned probe with no hope of repair. At least if you've got someone up there you can do something about it.

Which makes this unmanned mission all the more amazing.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which makes this unmanned mission all the more amazing.

Well yeah, between this and Cassini-Huygen it's been a great decade for the unmanned probe business. What's so impressive about this is the confidence in the machinery to put it in a hibernation mode for 7 years, it's a sign that they are confident they can engineer the equipment to work reliably but on a budget, and without the 'gold plating' like big nuclear batteries etc, you'd see on the earlier probes.

The journey. Whoever planned the route must have stayed awake in geometry.

http://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2013/10/Rosetta_s_twelve-year_journey_in_space

That is brilliant. I was wondering how they 'caught up' with the comet but am amazed at the complexity of it. Magic achievement.

Thing I love about this stuff is that you can understand most of it with a very basic knowledge of mechanics and how gravity works. The winch to drop Mars Curiosity onto the surface was my kind of science, simple but ingenious. Now they're working out if they could right the lander with a short spin on the drill, or even have a wee jump by firing the harpoons again so they can get some sunlight on the solar panels. In next to zero gravity Newton’s third law of motion is King: " For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Even I can get what they're talking about.

Some of the comments re: funding reminds me on NDT's (astrophysicist, head of the Hayden planetarium, and recent presenter of Cosmos) words on NASA funding. He's amazing to listen to, albeit can be nauseating and evangelical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RQhNZENMG1o#t=22 (edit: different video because that was a bit short and I hate Bill Maher!)

Incredible stuff, especially if this and other similar projects could excite a new generation of kids of both genders into the scientific fields.

Sounds like they think the battery is almost dead and they won't be able to charge it again sufficiently with the solar panels because the lander seems to have fallen down a hole. They'll find out late this evening if there's any power left when it's due to upload data, if so they might try to use any remaining power to hop it out of the hole. If not, they've already learnt loads.

P.S. Guardian zooms in on the essentials of the mission.: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/13/why-women-in-science-are-annoyed-at-rosetta-mission-scientists-clothing

Lander's communicating so battery's not dead yet. They're talking about trying to turn it a smidgeon to get a larger panel in line with the sun when it appears, but that will give a tiny better chance of it carrying on. I hope they gamble everything and try a jump.

Lander's communicating so battery's not dead yet. They're talking about trying to turn it a smidgeon to get a larger panel in line with the sun when it appears, but that will give a tiny better chance of it carrying on. I hope they gamble everything and try a jump.

Would 'liking it' on Facebook help?

Archived