Sportsound Watch

9 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

No it doesn't.

The structure of the play-offs for the top flight definitely favours the side from the higher league, in a way that it doesn't with the play-offs in the lower leagues.  I think that's undeniable.

The fact is though that the second bottom side in the top league can now go down, whereas, for a long time that was impossible.  Similarly, places 2-4 in the second tier can now get up, whereas before, they couldn't.

The system now is not ideal, but it's a big improvement on the closed shop that was the SPL, especially when the ridiculous ground criteria are considered.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Derek Ferguson claiming that Docherty of Ayr, who just got sent off for an apparently dreadful tackle, nearly decapitated the Dumbarton player he committed the foul against (Andy Stirling).

Even his colleagues mocked him.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye he said it was watched by circa 40 million people.

Hopefully he's caught soon and taken back to the home

I thought he'd said that, but it was so ludicrous, I thought I must have misheard.  It annoys me how that Pish is just accepted by the sweetie wives hosting the programme.

13 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

I'm not sure how it favours the top flight it's surely a 50/50 chance that a top flight team is relegated? If it was a straight playoff between 2nd vs 11th would there still be complaints?

Even if we ignore the demands of playing more key games in a few days for the lower division team, then the 50/50 chance you identify is very much better than the 25/75 chance that must by your logic exist for sides finishing second bottom of the middle two divisions.

25 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

So lower league teams would prefer a straight 2nd vs 11th?

In some ways, it would be fairer and was what briefly existed in the 90s.

It does seem odd though that now the clubs are all under the same league organisation again, that different formats apply for the play-offs in some divisions.

It was the best deal on offer though, so to that extent, it's welcome.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Even if we ignore the demands of playing more key games in a few days for the lower division team, then the 50/50 chance you identify is very much better than the 25/75 chance that must by your logic exist for sides finishing second bottom of the middle two divisions.

Well yes, clearly 50/50 is better than 25/75. But you are presenting a strawman argument - the original statement was that the playoffs "favour" the top flight. My point is they don't.

As regards games beforehand, as RandomGuy has said 2nd vs 11th final has two teams playing exactly the same league games. Let's be honest here, the extra games are for the financial benefit of the championship teams not a plan from the Premiership teams to hinder them.

12 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

So lower league teams would prefer a straight 2nd vs 11th?

Yes that would be fairer.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do they? Second place plays 38 games before the Final if they reach it..

Its been known for the 11th placed team to have a meaningless games before the play offs, allowing them to rest players/avoid suspensions and injuries, while the lower league teams don't have that luxury.

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ok, more games after the regular season has finished, i.e. more games overall in the playoff 'tournament'

The regular season in the Championship finishes with a couple of games still to go in the Premiership.  Provides time for the early play off ties.

There is as much chance of 11th fighting to the end to avoid 12th or finish 10th as there is of clubs at the top of the Championship fighting for places - so that is not any valid criticism.

Premiership clubs play 38 league games finishing on the 3rd weekend in May - whoever finishes 11th plays 2 playoff legs for a total of 40 games. Championship clubs play 36 league games finishing on the 1st weekend in May, plus whoever finishes 2nd gets 1 week to rest - whoever comes through to face 11th will by the end play a total of 40 / 42 games.

Aside from leaving Championship clubs with less to play for - 11th v 2nd wouldn't be "fairer". Premiership club would definitely play 2 more games; Championship club would get 2 weeks to rest.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Derek Ferguson claiming that Docherty of Ayr, who just got sent off for an apparently dreadful tackle, nearly decapitated the Dumbarton player he committed the foul against (Andy Stirling).

Even his colleagues mocked him.

This was genuinely funny. The 'banter' on Open All Mics can be painful but Ferguson's lack of awareness of what he had said coupled with Richard Gordon trying to help him by explaining what decapitation is just for Ferguson to ignore it and continue rambling on and the laughter in the background from the other reporters was very funny.

I like Derek Ferguson he is more knowledgeable and enthusiastic  about the lower leagues than most of the folk on Radio Scotland but if he is at the game of the team you follow the time between  him shouting 'Goal' then excitedly describing what had happened in completely neutral terms that makes it impossible to work out who has scored before finally getting round to saying which team has scored can be excruciating. I work Saturdays so this is a regular occurrence for me.