Sportsound Watch

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Putting miller and Bonner in the same breath is absolutely ridiculous.

Bonner, as far as I can tell, contributes nothing. He's their replacement murdo mcleod. A Celtic man, and that's about it.

Miller does no research but his analysis of the actual game is very good - and the content of his analysis reveals no bias (his voice night give away emotion but he's contributing a lot of football knowledge).

I think you’ve got the nail - hammer interface there.

1 hour ago, killiekranky said:

Saturday was surely a spoof show, it was like a fly on the wall documentary in an old folks home.

Highlights included Willie Miller anouncing "Hearts have had a second player sent off",

The studio trying to remind him that Naismith had been subbed not red carded

and Willie arguing with them.

We also had Derek Ferguson who always sounds like a 7 year old reading out his homework .

This week saw Derek articulately describing a penalty at Hamilton v Kilmarnock,

Mr Fergusons amazing description of the award and the taking of the penalty was top drawer,

Although the studio did have to intervene to find out who the penalty was for.

Chic spoke about Chic and Pat Bonner had locked himself in the toilet.

The only saving grace is Richard Gordon and I'm pretty sure he is only doing it for the carers allowance he must get for looking after the others.

Billy Dodds on Sunday, on my brief listen of the radio, claimed that "Murray Davidson is under rated in the air", as of half the Country don't think he could win a header.

It absolutely does my head in when we visit a ground because something has happened and the person with a microphone in the ground is unable to convey exactly what's happened.
I often catch a few minutes in the car for instance, having not been following the programme throughout.  I'm therefore not necessarily familiar with who's covering which game.  Similarly, I don't necessarily recognise the name of every player for every team on a given Saturday.  I wouldn't imagine that makes me unique.
The primary job of the pundit is to take of advantage of being there, to convey basic information to those who aren't.  So often, these basics don't emerge for ages, or even at all.
It's a pretty fundamental part of effective communication, to put yourself in the shoes of your audience, but it's beyond half of them.  When the medium is radio and all we've got is the spoken voice, it's pretty important that that voice tells us the most important bits of information from the outset.
I'd consider myself a feminist but quite often those most guilty of this basic crime are the weemin. We need to know which team it is, and whether or not they scored.

The excitement and slavering can be amusing, and definitely adds something, but we need the basics.

Earlier in the season one of the women covering ICT v Ayr told us a penalty was scored when it had been missed (it took about ten minutes to clear this up). She then added in as an afterthought that the Ayr defender had been sent off. I was a quivering wreck by the end of her broadcast.

Oh god I remember that one. I felt so bad for her as you can just imagine the gammons on speed dial to the BBC to get her off and replaced by a man.
Like I said, I fully support the BBC's policy of getting more women into sports broadcast. I genuinely do. But they have to be competent.

In saying that they've not noticed Bonner and he's been there for years. So it has bugger all to do with gender.

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Like I said, I fully support the BBC's policy of getting more women into sports broadcast. I genuinely do. But they have to be competent.

In saying that they've not noticed Bonner and he's been there for years. So it has bugger all to do with gender.

Yes, that's the point.

Several of the women are indeed pretty hopeless.  However, if people were to be barred owing to their gender featuring hopeless pundits, no man would ever be allowed near their microphones again.

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I would totally agree that they have to be competent, however, as they all seem to have a basic grasp of the English language they are years ahead of Bonner and McDonald, who at times struggle to string a sentence together or resort to using made up words.

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

I would totally agree that they have to be competent, however, as they all seem to have a basic grasp of the English language they are years ahead of Bonner and McDonald, who at times struggle to string a sentence together or resort to using made up words.

But are they enthusiastic?

Add Derek Ferguson to your list.

12 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Putting miller and Bonner in the same breath is absolutely ridiculous.

Bonner, as far as I can tell, contributes nothing. He's their replacement murdo mcleod. A Celtic man, and that's about it.

Miller does no research but his analysis of the actual game is very good - and the content of his analysis reveals no bias (his voice night give away emotion but he's contributing a lot of football knowledge).

Bonner knows about Celtic but it’s hilarious when he tries to talk about other teams. ‘And yer man you know wee thigmy he’s had a shot there’

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Eilidh Davies also has the worst sort of voice someone can have when they're employed to talk for a living. 

Having a suitable voice doesn't seem to really matter to BBC Scotland.

Liam McLeod has worked his way to the top spot of Scottish football commentary despite having a horrible screechy voice, and the guy he replaced in Paul Mitchell's only real contribution to the role was to call everything "brulliant" in his awful nasally drone.

As for Sandra Brown shrieking like a banshee every time Queen of the South get near the box... ugh.

20 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Bonner knows about Celtic but it’s hilarious when he tries to talk about other teams. ‘And yer man you know wee thigmy he’s had a shot there’

I'm actually not certain he knows too much about Celtic either. He knows who all the players are (even if he can't pronounce a single one of their names), but so, I'd imagine, do the majority of people who have any interest at all in Scottish football. Beyond that, he waffles a load of shite about them as well like your average deluded Celtic fan in the pub.

Edited by Nightmare

23 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Yesterday the Celtic game was the commentary game ( I assume for the visiting fans who don't want to pay £28?) As anyone with any interest in Celtic could have been at Celtic park yesterday. However when I got back to the car they were heading towards the news and then spent a quarter of an hour talking about the game they had just covered for 90 mins (and the pre match guff) and that was of no interest to anyone other than the team of folk from the beeb at Celtic park.

Post match should be a quick round up of all the scores and match action at 5 past 5 when most folk are back in their cars and that would take them up to half 5, rather than bleating on and on about a game they have just spent the best part of 2 hours talking about and then rush everything else. 

Can Celtic TV not try and get Pat Bonnar and Scott McDonald into their coverage to save us all the hassle.

Spot on with this, didn’t even get most post match interviews in because they spoke about this mis-match for far too long.

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

Spot on with this, didn’t even get most post match interviews in because they spoke about this mis-match for far too long.

Cheers I’ll ask to be the producer for the day

Why do Scottish commentators over use the saying ‘nothing doing’ when an attack comes to nothing. Liam McLeod on the BBC says it about 50 times a game, and I’ve noticed that Rory Hamilton on BT saying it as well. It’s not something you ever hear from the English commentators, or commentators of any other sport tbh. 

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Why do Scottish commentators over use the saying ‘nothing doing’ when an attack comes to nothing. Liam McLeod on the BBC says it about 50 times a game, and I’ve noticed that Rory Hamilton on BT saying it as well. It’s not something you ever hear from the English commentators, or commentators of any other sport tbh. 

One bizarre thing about the English commentators is when they say a team is “all in red”. Of course they’re all in red! That’s kind of the point. In my part of the world we would always say they were “in all red”.

FPO (for pedants only) : yes, I know the goalkeeper is different. 

One bizarre thing about the English commentators is when they say a team is “all in red”. Of course they’re all in red! That’s kind of the point. In my part of the world we would always say they were “in all red”.
FPO (for pedants only) : yes, I know the goalkeeper is different. 

Gerry McNee had a god awful propensity for saying that.

2 minutes ago, Wasperoonie said:

The inability of pure dead weegie ned Derek Ferguson on Sportsound to call Carl McHugh by his name is boggling...pronounced "Maheew"

He's from Lanarkshire not Glasgow, don't blame us for him.

Funny but I heard the guest presenter on Off the Ball this afternoon talking about a producer lecturing him on how to pronounce Rogic.

And then on Sportsound Packie Bonnar was at it again, calling the Aberdeen striker Cosgrave repeatedly and Ferguson going on about McYoo.

13 minutes ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

He's from Lanarkshire not Glasgow, don't blame us for him.

Funny but I heard the guest presenter on Off the Ball this afternoon talking about a producer lecturing him on how to pronounce Rogic.

And then on Sportsound Packie Bonnar was at it again, calling the Aberdeen striker Cosgrave repeatedly and Ferguson going on about McYoo.

It really shouldn't be hard for someone to just ask the guy how to say his name and then for all of the journalists to say it properly.

Mind you, in the whole time Artur Boruc played in Scotland, hardly anybody bothered their arse to say his name correctly, so it's hardly a new issue.