Sportsound Watch

9 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Wonder whats happening in the 9 live games just now?  Nothing I take it.

OAM says that Aberdeen scored and Livi have lost a goal to VAR

Only heard two or three minutes in the car there but it was VAR chat with Callum Davidson, followed by reports of chances at two games and a goal at another, before some clown interjected with more VAR chat before we'd even heard about the actual incidents in the actual ongoing games. Garbage.

On 01/01/2024 at 02:01, VincentGuerin said:

Not just in th econtext of OAM, but it's probably hard for younger listeners to believe that in the old days of just one commentary match, it was never that uncommon for the commentary to feature neither of the OF. Of course, they've always had a big share of the coverage, but it used to generally be the case that the commentary game would be the most interesting game of the weekend. If nothing stood out, you'd generally get whatever OF side was away on a Saturday, but it wasn't the default.

Now we're at the point where there's no point in wondering what the commentary will be. It's actually laughable.

Hard as it is to imagine, TV, radio and news coverage all used to attempt to cover more than two teams (and the game was much better for it).

Here's an example from 1990: Celtic beat Rangers 1-0 and knock them out the Scottish Cup. The back page of the Daily Record the next day was... Aberdeen getting a tough draw for the next round.

image.png

Macintyre has a habit of asking leading questions about his favourites, today it was: "Rangers absolutely cruising now, Derek?" He was told: "No, I wouldn't say that." He did the same thing when they won 1-0 at Tynecastle recently. It's just odd.

2 minutes ago, GreenGray said:

No reaction from the grounds today? Celtic live commentary on both BBC Scotland and Extra.

Are you really that surprised?

Decided to run today and listen to open all mics instead of watching dons. 

The VAR chat man, are they fuckin serious. I don’t know how long they spent on it pre match but while the games are on?? Then talking about Diogo jota’s VAR call with Liverpool? Am I being whooshed? 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Decided to run today and listen to open all mics instead of watching dons. 

The VAR chat man, are they fuckin serious. I don’t know how long they spent on it pre match but while the games are on?? Then talking about Diogo jota’s VAR call with Liverpool? Am I being whooshed? 

Kenny McHuntyre pishing his pants to get “all audio releazed”.

Hes such a fucking p***k.

On 31/12/2023 at 22:42, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It wasn't all good back then though. I just handed an old scrapbook of mine to the Falkirk Football Heritage guys, and leafing through it beforehand, it was brutally apparent how little the printed press cared about how a wee team like Falkirk was doing in the Premier Division. (Don't even ask about lower league coverage back then).

No team lines, reports ENTIRELY about Rangers/Celtic/Hearts when they played Falkirk, and nonsense player names. I remember reading one match report the day after a game and the Falkirk scorer was named as Kenny Kennedy.

"Ooh, a new striker! Excellent" I thought, only to find out it was referring to Ken Eadie.

Ian Wood was the worst - a complete tosser of a snob, who would file entire match "reports" about (real example) Graeme Souness falling out with Graham Roberts, or Hearts. Not Graeme Souness falling out with Hearts. Just Hearts, in general.

Back in the 60s (and 70s) - as I recall it -  every league game in Scotland was covered by a report in the Sunday Post. (And probably other papers.)

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Back in the 60s (and 70s) - as I recall it -  every league game in Scotland was covered by a report in the Sunday Post. (And probably other papers.)

Not only that but there was always a decent write up in Mondays papers. As a young whippersnapper I kept a scrapbook of Dumbarton cuttings. We obviously weren’t one of the bigger teams but got good coverage in all the papers when we were in the old first division 

11 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Not only that but there was always a decent write up in Mondays papers. As a young whippersnapper I kept a scrapbook of Dumbarton cuttings. We obviously weren’t one of the bigger teams but got good coverage in all the papers when we were in the old first division 

I used to go to with my old man to the wee newsagent, under Dumbarton East station on a Saturday evening to get the late paper with all the day's football results/reports.

The Evening Times pink I think it was.

2 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I used to go to with my old man to the wee newsagent, under Dumbarton East station on a Saturday evening to get the late paper with all the day's football results/reports.

The Evening Times pink I think it was.

Was that the one where the reports didn’t quite go to the end of the game?

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Kenny McHuntyre pishing his pants to get “all audio releazed”.

Hes such a fucking p***k.

Aye. “Everyone agrees don’t they? Release the audio? Don’t they?”

”eh naw actually Kenny”