Sportsound Watch

It is actually an interesting social illustration to look at the sponsors which have backed SFA or SFL/SPL/SPFL competitions.

Plenty of alcohol certainly: Bell's (league, LC, CC), Drybrough's (Top Scorers Cup), Skol (LC), Tennent's (SC).

Soft drinks: Irn Bru (league), Coca Cola (LC), Little Big Shot (YC).

Banks: Bank of Scotland (league), Clydesdale (league).

Insurance: CIS/Cooperative (LC).

Pawnbroker: Ramsdens (CC).

Gambling: William Hill (SC), Ladbrokes (league).

Food retail: Fine Fare (league).

DIY: B&Q (league, CC).

Media: MG Alba (CC).

Energy services: Petrofac (CC).

Interestingly no telecoms, energy or transport companies, although QTS Rail Services sponsored last season's LC SFs & Final, Texaco sponsored the Anglo-Scottish Cup and BP the Youth Cup.

We've also had the government getting in on the act in various forms... 'Health Education', 'Homecoming' and 'Active Nation' (SC); 'Communities' (LC).

Edited by HibeeJibee

I know you're being sarcastic but I do actually find that interesting. I'm not even an anorak Saint Johnstone fan.

Very interesting

I read that when the Scottish Cup was sponsored by the government Health Education Department they did not brand it. Anyone know what bang they got for their buck? I vaguely recall watching old highlights of a game featuring Morton, which opened with the revelation that Jim Duffy had won 'Health Board Fittest Man of the Month' or similar - was that connected :lol:?

England have had some crackers too, the best of which must be the 'Milk Cup', the 'Rumbelows Cup' and the 'Zenith Data Systems Trophy'.

• 2 weeks later...