Sportsound Watch

Celtic v Molde was on Thursday. All of Sportsound was dedicated to it that night, as was part of Friday's programme. 2.40pm today, 20 minutes til kick off of five Premiership games, none of which feature Celtic. So what are they discussing? Celtic v Molde. FFS.

This media focus on the absence of Rangers being at the roof of Celtic's ills - indeed often of the entire game's supposed ills - is likely to come to pass in their eyes, of course... It is unlikely that in 1 or 2 years time Rangers will not have ascended to the top tier, and it is unlikely that Celtic will be playing as badly in Europe in 1 or 2 years time as they have been this season, I'd expect.

No doubt the two will then be taken as a correlating and evidence that the absence of Rangers was the key factor all along. (No doubt the lack of OF games has taken some of the edge and challenge off Celtic - but I think few of us in the outside world would regard it as the main factor or as a suitable excuse).

Two things....

When Celtic had competition in the 80s and early 90s what did they do in Europe then ?

When Celtic beat Barca 3 or so years back, what League were Sevco in ?

Great wee stat on the radio today. Celtic have only been in Europe, after Christmas, 5 times in 35 years (or so).

I agree with the premise that Celtic's poor form in Europe is down to (The) Rangers not being in the Premiership. With little competition for the league title, they can get away with a relatively poor manager and squad.

But the conclusion shouldn't be "we need (The) Rangers in the Premiership". It should instead be a criticism of Celtic's decision to effectively run on empty for (at least) four years.

I agree with the premise that Celtic's poor form in Europe is down to (The) Rangers not being in the Premiership. With little competition for the league title, they can get away with a relatively poor manager and squad.

But the conclusion shouldn't be "we need (The) Rangers in the Premiership". It should instead be a criticism of Celtic's decision to effectively run on empty for (at least) four years.

I can't see how playing their wee buddies 4 times over the course of the season would prepare them better for Europe. Imagine for talking sake The Rangers were in the league just now - they'd have played them once, possibly twice up until now this season. Surely playing quality European teams in the Champions and Europa Leagues should be better match practice for them up until now.

It almost makes you wonder how Molde have done so well against them when they haven't got The Rangers in their league.

I agree with the broad premise... if Celtic had 4 OF derbies to deal with and had Rangers in the division instead of Motherwell (say - for example if a different outcome to last season's playoffs had happened), then they would have some bigger to deal with domestically plus potentially 4 somewhat harder challenges for points within a 38-game program.

It gets applied as a universal though, as if the Rangers team wold be like that of 5 or 10 years ago and Celtic would become similar. It's a nonsense (IMO) to imagine that had Rangers come up under McCall in May we'd now be seeing Celtic doing radically better in Europe than they have.

I can't see how playing their wee buddies 4 times over the course of the season would prepare them better for Europe. Imagine for talking sake The Rangers were in the league just now - they'd have played them once, possibly twice up until now this season. Surely playing quality European teams in the Champions and Europa Leagues should be better match practice for them up until now.

It isn't just about the four derbies. Without (The) Rangers, Celtic know they can afford an occasional draw here and defeat there and still win the league. With (The) Rangers, that margin for error is significantly reduced, so better players are required. Those players, in turn, allow for a better performance in Europe.

But as I said, it's a stupid conclusion to draw. Celtic are cashing in on that increased margin for error - that's what should be questioned.

Aye but Rangers are sh*te, so how would they realistically challenge Celtic? Even if they came up and done as well as Hearts they still wouldn't be challenging.

Exactly.

It's going to be years, and many millions of pounds of 'investment', before The Rangers are capable of challenging Celtic. This isn't Rangers pre-2012, this is a financially crippled incarnation. Even with Ibrox filled every second week, they're not going to be bringing in the money to allow them to build a squad capable of challenging Celtic.

Aye but Rangers are sh*te, so how would they realistically challenge Celtic? Even if they came up and done as well as Hearts they still wouldn't be challenging.

Yup, people appear to have forgotten how rank rotten they've been for years now.

The argument is shot down when you consider the semi final they contested last season.

It was a training exercise for Celtic, hardly preparation for Europes elite FFS.

This journalism is so fucking lazy that rangers return will solve all our problems. I can't actually fathom how it is an accepted rhetoric.

The argument is shot down when you consider the semi final they contested last season.

It was a training exercise for Celtic, hardly preparation for Europes elite FFS.

This journalism is so fucking lazy that rangers return will solve all our problems. I can't actually fathom how it is an accepted rhetoric.

They were coming out with this rubbish when they were 3rd in the Championship last season. After their financial results Rangers seem some time away from real contenders. No doubt they will be eventually but it is difficult to imagine it being next season. As you say it is just lazy journalism.

Richard Gough is a fucking walloper in the paper today. In fact, I'm not even repeating it, it's just the usual pish you can probably imagine. Regarding Hearts, Hibs and his beloved The Rangers being in the lower league though, he says "It wouldn't happen in America", like America is the benchmark for world footballing issues.

Richard Gough is a fucking walloper in the paper today. In fact, I'm not even repeating it, it's just the usual pish you can probably imagine. Regarding Hearts, Hibs and his beloved The Rangers being in the lower league though, he says "It wouldn't happen in America", like America is the benchmark for world footballing issues.

They seem to forget that Hearts and Hibs were in the Premiership recently and were sh*te so got relegated. That's how it works. Bet he has no problem with any of the smaller teams being relegated.

:lol:

Do America have rules that state certain clubs can't be relegated? Juventus were relegated in Italy for 'dodgy' dealings, and they're a much, much bigger club that Oldco ever were.

He's talking pish which is of surprise to no one. Why should Hearts and Hibs not have relegated exactly? Why should Sevco have automatically been placed in the top division? They shouldn't even have been allowed in the 3rd Division/League 2 ahead of other clubs.

This sort of pish from staggeringly stupid and sycophantic p***ks like Gough long ago became boring and is just tedious but more importantly damaging to our game.

:lol:

Do America have rules that state certain clubs can't be relegated? Juventus were relegated in Italy for 'dodgy' dealings, and they're a much, much bigger club that Oldco ever were.

He's talking pish which is of surprise to no one. Why should Hearts and Hibs not have relegated exactly? Why should Sevco have automatically been placed in the top division? They shouldn't even have been allowed in the 3rd Division/League 2 ahead of other clubs.

This sort of pish from staggeringly stupid and sycophantic p***ks like Gough long ago became boring and is just tedious but more importantly damaging to our game.

The sad thing is this is not an isolated opinion there is a campaign out there to push this opinion.

Again failing to acknowledge that his beloved failed at getting promoted.

Tell me Richard, which clubs that got promoted fair and square should make way for rangers and hibs because...well because...they should just be there.

Tbf it wouldn't happen in America: as they've a franchise system. If a club goes bust out there someone on the other side of the country probably buys up the licence and starts their own team, and the supporters and backers of the original probably have to regroup then try to do the same to someone else.

In Europe however, a club / company going into administration then liquidation would have seen exactly what happened here. Indeed given we'd no pyramid system at the time, it might have meant Rangers reforming in the non-leagues.

It's hardly the point anyway. It's effectively arguing that Rangers should have been liquidated yet admitted into SPL in order to help Celtic.

Hearts and Hibs were both relegated, meanwhile. With the exception of Argentina recently, I can't think of examples of leagues fiddling with that.