Sportsound Watch

Guest Moomintroll
So somewhere like Cumnock, Maybole, Drongan? I grew up in Alloway and I can assure you that they are hell-holes of sectarianism to the extent that there's almost no catholic population there. I guess that's why there's no daily evidence of bigotry. 
Ever do any caddying on the local golf courses M77?

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ha, it's surely not him?!

It really is. I did whatever the listening equivalent of a double take is when he was introduced.

Thankfully I got to a TV just before kick off but I’m almost tempted to listen in to the radio out of morbid curiosity. 

Edited by The Master

4 minutes ago, The Master said:

It really is. Did whatever the listening equivalent of a double take is.

Thankfully I got to a TV just before kick off but I’m almost tempted to listen in to the radio out of morbid curiosity. 

Aye I'm back in from the shops so got the TV commentary on, but I'd urge you to give the radio commentary a listen. You won't believe how immensely awful it is.

I mentioned this in the match thread but Tanner in today's commentary kept alternating between calling our right back  "Seabourne" and his actual name, "Seaman". It sounded for a period in the first half as if he'd realised his mistake but he started doing it again throughout the second half. I'm also pretty sure he asked Rankin or Yogi our McMullin substitute had changed the game barely 2 mins after he'd been subbed on - this was well before the penalty incidentally.

As if listening to United's performance today on it's own wasn't bad enough...

I was dotting about today but heard bits of the commentary when I was in the car. Don't know who the third guy was but he was but he came across as quite sensible compared to Tanner and John Hughes who were excruciating. At one point just after an Inverness substitution Tanner said they now had a lot of height up front- Hughes insightful response was "Yip".

39 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I was dotting about today but heard bits of the commentary when I was in the car. Don't know who the third guy was but he was but he came across as quite sensible compared to Tanner and John Hughes who were excruciating. At one point just after an Inverness substitution Tanner said they now had a lot of height up front- Hughes insightful response was "Yip".

John Rankin I think it was. 

22 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm sure you are Tam, don't take my comment the wrong way. As someone who has experienced both I'm sure you'll agree that there's a world of difference. In all honesty outside of Glasgow, Lanarkshire and bits of Ayrshire the rest of the county plays at it. 

That's not to say it's not horribe but we all know where the hotbeds are and the football teams that by their inactions (or in come cases actions) support it. 

Edit now that I remember I was asked at a job interview for DC Thomson "what school did ye go tae".  But they were quite well known for that pish. 

And?

17 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Listened to a bit of the Tanner debacle today which consisted of him just saying players names. Not where they were on the pitch or what direction they were moving. 

He obviously forgot that radio doesn’t do the old moving picture thing.

Heard the first half on the way back home from Pittodrie and wondered who that was?

It was clear he hadn't been trained in radio commentary - kept pausing as if we could all see what was happening on a TV screen.

He was absolutely fucking dreadful and if he ever gets another shot at commentating on sportsound then he’s clearly got incriminating photos of someone at the beeb. His raising if his voice at the end of everything he said was excruciatingly painful to listen to. 

I listened to a lot of that game on the way home from Pittodrie. I thought the commentator’s voice sounded familiar , but couldn’t put my finger on who it was.  He was hopeless. Kept on saying stuff along the lines of  “Inverness clear it” , “Inverness have it” ........  no player names , which is a dead giveaway that he hasn’t done much preparation. 

Special mention also to John Hughes for repeatedly  referring to Aaron Doran as “Dorrans” , presumably thinking of the permanently injured hvnn.  Bad enough for any pundit , but fully worse coming from Hughes , seeing as Doran was one of his players for a couple of years when he was ICT manager