Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

.it was the infamous 9-3 defeat.

My friends dad played in that game and scored I think it was the second goal for Scotland wee Pat Quinn.
He also has had dementia for the past 7 years like Cesar it's a Fecking horrible disease. 

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

My friends dad played in that game and scored I think it was the second goal for Scotland wee Pat Quinn.
He also has had dementia for the past 7 years like Cesar it's a Fecking horrible disease. 

How many caps did he get?

10 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
26 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
Two slight corrections.  1. Rangers had two - Greig and McKinnon.  Baxter was at Sunderland at the time.  2. Greig and McKinnon weren't CH partners.  McKinnon was CH and Greig and Baxter both played wing half.

I could never understand those old fangled positions, agolopise for the Baxter faux pas. I stand by everything else, we used to have so many great footballers that were eligible for International Selection, sad times.

Everything else you've said on the thread is absolutely bang on - surprising  for you ;)  And you're right, of course, about the number of players we had at our disposal.  What's more surprising is that, at international level, we punched well below our weight despite the wealth of players available.  We had some fabulous players available for both 1966 and 1970 but flopped.  Even though we qualified in 1974 (and still had some top class players) we embarrassed ourselves.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

I don't think you were trolling at all.  It was a valid discussion point arising from the programme.

BUT insisting that a group of players from one club should have gained more caps despite input from posters outwith the Glasgow fishbowl who showed the range of talent available to Scotland and how top players both in Scotland and England were overlooked/partly ignore does show that you're struggling with the meaning of 'parochial'.

Your first post was all about rangers players I didn't want to make this a Celtic v rangers thing yet there is plenty to back that up.
I knew other clubs were successful in that period and wanted there take on it.
Institutional bias was broad-minded in terms of players that didn't get half the caps they should've got so parochial is the perfect word for the P&B posters.

On 5/1/2019 at 19:29, The_Kincardine said:

McKinnon got his first cap in 1965 when your very own Jock Stein (managing Scotland's WC campaign) dropped McNeil.  Others Stein could have picked included Frank McLintock (only 9 caps) or Ron Yeats (astonishingly, 2 caps).  As has been pointed out, we had a wealth of riches at that time.

McKinnon's first game was vs Italy whom we beat 1-0 with a goal from Greig - one of Scotland's best ever players and who won only 44 caps.  In contrast 'Heid' has 55 and is on Scotland's Roll of Honour whereas neither Greig nor McNeil are.  I know the bar is set at 50 caps but to exclude two of greatest club captains of the postwar era is astounding 

Playing for a team who won a European cup doesn't make you the best player in that position for your national team.  Jim Craig won 1 cap  and that was probably 1 too many.  He wasn't very good.  In comparison, Sandy Jardine who joined Rangers at the same time as Craig joined Celtic, didn't get his first Scotland cap until 1970 and was a vastly superior player.  However, the full backs of choice were Tam Gemmell and Eddie McCreadie so it was difficult to see how either Craig or Jardine could be picked ahead of either of them. 

So you really need to look at the bigger picture rather than just greeting about some conspiracy.

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Your first post was all about rangers players I didn't want to make this a Celtic v rangers thing yet there is plenty to back that up.

I mentioned 5 players who didn't play for Rangers.  Silly.

23 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Even though we qualified in 1974 (and still had some top class players) we embarrassed ourselves.

Am I misunderstanding you here?  Are you saying we embarrassed ourselves in 1974?

That's not a view I've often heard aired.

Guest Moomintroll
Everything else you've said on the thread is absolutely bang on - surprising  for you [emoji6]  And you're right, of course, about the number of players we had at our disposal.  What's more surprising is that, at international level, we punched well below our weight despite the wealth of players available.  We had some fabulous players available for both 1966 and 1970 but flopped.  Even though we qualified in 1974 (and still had some top class players) we embarrassed ourselves.
Why would that be surprising for me you wily rascal?

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Am I misunderstanding you here?  Are you saying we embarrassed ourselves in 1974?

That's not a view I've often heard aired.

Of course we did.  Finishing 3rd in the group and only managing 3 goals?  Given the quality we had it was an embarrassment not to get to the next stage.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
29 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
Everything else you've said on the thread is absolutely bang on - surprising  for you emoji6.png  And you're right, of course, about the number of players we had at our disposal.  What's more surprising is that, at international level, we punched well below our weight despite the wealth of players available.  We had some fabulous players available for both 1966 and 1970 but flopped.  Even though we qualified in 1974 (and still had some top class players) we embarrassed ourselves.

Why would that be surprising for me you wily rascal?

Now don't ask me why it was surprising and I won't ask you why I'm wily.  It's not about you and I...

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Tam Gemmell and Eddie McCreadie 

Again if you didn't know Gemmell had to play at right back to accommodate McCreadie so you where twisting the truth on Stein and the players.
Davie hay got booed and heckled every time he touch the ball until Sandy Jardine was put on.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Of course we did.  Finishing 3rd in the group and only managing 3 goals?  Given the quality we had it was an embarrassment not to get to the next stage.

As I said, not a widely held view.

We might have put more past Zaire, although Brazil barely did.  Otherwise, the results were fine.  It was disappointing to get no further, but describing it as an "embarrassment" amounts to rather a silly claim.

Unless I'm being whoooshed of course.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Again if you didn't know Gemmell had to play at right back to accommodate McCreadie so you where twisting the truth on Stein and the players.
Davie hay got booed and heckled every time he touch the ball until Sandy Jardine was put on.

1. Stein and the players.  In 1965 Stein dropped McNeil after the Poland game and selected McKinnon for the 1-0 win vs Italy.  There is no 'twisting of the truth' here.
2. Booing.  You've mentioned this twice.  I was taken to home internationals from the mid 60s (the period in question) onwards and don't recall Celtic players being booed.  As far as Hay and Jardine go?  Well, again, I don't recall any booing (and we're moving in to the 70s) but Jardine was many times the player Hay was.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

1. Stein and the players.  In 1965 Stein dropped McNeil after the Poland game and selected McKinnon for the 1-0 win vs Italy.  There is no 'twisting of the truth' here.
2. Booing.  You've mentioned this twice.  I was taken to home internationals from the mid 60s (the period in question) onwards and don't recall Celtic players being booed.  As far as Hay and Jardine go?  Well, again, I don't recall any booing (and we're moving in to the 70s) but Jardine was many times the player Hay was.

Again Stein didn't pick the team a select committee did, he was only there on a part-time basis.
Henderson was also picked in front of Jinky.
The booing of Celtic players went on up in til the 80's I remember Brain McClair getting the treatment.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

32 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Again Stein didn't pick the team a select committee did, he was only there on a part-time basis.
Henderson was also picked in front of Jinky.

Well if you think Stein took the job on the basis that he didn't pick the team then you're seriously deluded.  Also, if you think Henderson was not, at least, the equal of Johnstone then you watched different players to me.  So go on...from the games you watched in the made to late 60s who would you have picked between the two wingers?  We know that Stein favoured Henderson in  1965.  Was he wrong?

Edit:  Here's Scotland dismantling England in 1974 before the world cup.  Question  to @wastecoatwillywhere are the boos when Hay or Johnstone are on the ball?  Question to @Monkey Tenniswhy was a team that played so well make such an arse of it in West Germany?  Of course it was embarrassing.

Oh and Scotland fans hated Celtic so much that you can hear YNWA at 4:48.

Edited by The_Kincardine

35 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well if you think Stein took the job on the basis that he didn't pick the team then you're seriously deluded.  Also, if you think Henderson was not, at least, the equal of Johnstone then you watched different players to me.  So go on...from the games you watched in the made to late 60s who would you have picked between the two wingers?  We know that Stein favoured Henderson in  1965.  Was he wrong?

The reason Henderson was picked ahead of Jinky was because Henderson was more reliable not a better player.
This is the reason why I stayed away from the Celtic v rangers thing,it's a Scotland thing it was obvious from your first post.
Very parochial. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

24 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Has anyone ever seen wastecoatwilly and Pat Bonner in the same room?

They are not the same person.

Despite his other nonsense, willy has shown knowledge of the names of some non-Celtic players.