Sportsound Watch

Rod Petrie has just said - I assume seriously - that the SFA want the 2 cup semi finals and the final to be played, whether that’s in 2021 or whenever. If that’s possible, why are the SPFL not having all the promotion/relegation play-offs played, based on current positions?

Just now, Pet Jeden said:

Rod Petrie has just said - I assume seriously - that the SFA want the 2 cup semi finals and the final to be played, whether that’s in 2021 or whenever. If that’s possible, why are the SPFL not having all the promotion/relegation play-offs played, based on current positions?

I realise its very, very tricky..........................

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Is this a serious question?

Why didn’t they all question Doncaster when he was on.  They left it all to Gordon.  Now they are all moaning about his answers.

Reminds me of the time I was going to leather 4 guys after a game before that tiny wee G4S lassie stopped me.

Just now, Lofarl said:

Why didn’t they all question Doncaster when he was on.  They left it all to Gordon.  Now they are all moaning about his answers.

Reminds me of the time I was going to leather 4 guys after a game before that tiny wee G4S lassie stopped me.

Doncaster made it clear he'd only come on if it was a one to one interview (To save them all jumping on and it becoming a farce). Says a lot that Tom English who has interviewed pretty much everyone up until this point left it for Richard Gordon who has admitted on the same show he doesn't even understand the situation.

6 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Yes. Is that a serious answer?

It's fairly fucking obvious why a 3 game competition could be completed during the first half of next season, and a play off tournament that prevents the league starting/teams budgeting for division, cant.

But I suspect you're utterly fucking blind to all of that in this brainless quest to find a conspiracy that doesnt exist.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

It's fairly fucking obvious why a 3 game competition could be completed during the first half of next season, and a play off tournament that prevents the league starting/teams budgeting for division, cant.

But I suspect you're utterly fucking blind to all of that in this brainless quest to find a conspiracy that doesnt exist.

Of course the play offs can be done at the beginning of the next season. Only one team will go up or stay up. The other 3 might end up with a squad that’s maybe not ideal for their eventual league. So what? Other anomalies don’t seem to worry you. Falkirk are being denied auto promotion by one point. Partick are being “relegated” with a game in hand. Brora/Kelty/Bonnyrigg are being denied a chance in the SPFL. You’re expecting Hearts to play a semi with a Championship squad. There’s lots of proposed injustices, why should less than perfect play-offs uniquely be sheltered?

7 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Of course the play offs can be done at the beginning of the next season. Only one team will go up or stay up. The other 3 might end up with a squad that’s maybe not ideal for their eventual league. So what? 

Because that's not fair at all on any club involved in the play offs, as theyd all be holding off. Teams relegated from the top flight can lose £1m in income. Do Hamilton budget for £3m in income for £1.5m, that's a huge difference in what squad they could afford.

Youd end up with situations like Brechin, where a woefully under prepared side gets promoted then absolutely ridden the next season. 

At least if the season is called now, clubs have months upon months to react and plan. Youd have 12 clubs sitting in no mans land for 5 months while everyone around them know exactly where they stand.

I've never given an opinion either way on whether it's right or wrong to play the Scottish Cup Semis next season, merely pointed towards your thick brain and explained why one is plausible and the other isnt.

Edited by RandomGuy.

22 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Because he ( Doncaster) would only do a 1 to 1 interview

I thought Doncaster came over very well.  Much more impressed with him this time round than in 2012.

The only issue I don't think he nailed was why they couldn't pay advances against guaranteed prize money.  Celtic were assured of second place and Rangers of 3rd.  Surely the SPFL could have paid out based on those positions and then settled up at the end of the season.  I've listened again and all I heard him say was that 6th and 12th place have already been given what they were entitled to - just a few hundred K more due at best.

Unless what he means is that he doesn't want to pay out any final place money in case individual clubs might go into admin between now and the official end of season -which would involved not making that final point anyway.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because that's not fair at all on any club involved in the play offs, as theyd all be holding off. Teams relegated from the top flight can lose £1m in income. Do Hamilton budget for £3m in income for £1.5m, that's a huge difference in what squad they could afford.

Youd end up with situations like Brechin, where a woefully under prepared side gets promoted then absolutely ridden the next season. 

At least if the season is called now, clubs have months upon months to react and plan. Youd have 12 clubs sitting in no mans land for 5 months while everyone around them know exactly where they stand.

I've never given an opinion either way on whether it's right or wrong to play the Scottish Cup Semis next season, merely pointed towards your thick brain and explained why one is plausible and the other isnt.

Fkn classic.

1 minute ago, Bohemian said:

The plot thickens.. or is it Tom English thickens

Screenshot_20200502-162049_Twitter.jpg

Hard to understand why, after his arse publicly handed to him, Tom English would create a mythical story from an unnamed source to try and gain the upper hand again.

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

Fkn classic.

It's not.

Hearts are bottom and are getting relegated because of that.

You want to cripple 12 clubs for a whole season for absolutely no reason.

That was depressing, listening to Tom English especially wittering on about his supposed unnamed high up contacts and all about payments that have already been made. Who gives a f**k? Everybody knew the season wouldn't be completed and if the proposal had been voted against they'd just be making the same decision now instead. Scottish football journalism is so far up it's own arse it can't see the wood for the trees, what's important is deciding the format for next season. Doncaster does what the clubs and their representatives on the board tell him, Sportsound following sevco campaign to paint him as a Machiavellian villain out to thwart ra peeple without an iota of evidence, but for what English has got third hand from what's rumoured to be on other people's whatsapp groups alleging bullying.