Sportsound Watch

Munzo - please read my comments - I said he is a great journalist - I didn’t mention Scottish football - remember he writes widely on many sports and is 90% of the time on the money On what he writes IMO - he is to good of a journalist to be focusing on this nonsense. 

on a side note About a fellow lawyer the most respected football executive for the best part of 2 decades to come out of Scotland across UEFA and FIFA  etc - Peter Lawell is just sitting back in his house quietly pondering what makes these madmen and women tick he must be bemused at the madness 

53 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Call it what you want but it's definitely not a loan.

The belief was that clubs were looking for money that was due to them to be paid out in the circumstances they find themselves in. 

Neil Doncaster admitted today that around £7m is sitting in the SPFL bank account to be divided out based on finishing positions to Premier League teams. 

Richard Gordon fudged it massively be failing to get a meaningful answer from him as to why a proportionate amount of money couldn't have been paid prior to the yes / no vote. 

Doncaster's answers relating to what happened to Gretna were simply a play on the word loan, as opposed to what should be happening in practice. 

For me, why not pay Celtic and Rangers what they're due for finishing 1st and 2nd, then equally divide what's left over to the other 10 teams? 

It can be offset against future prize money fairly easily for any required adjustments. 

And then the rest get to sit back and watch the meltdown from within the corridors of Ibrox and from their masses on here. 

The debate has never been about distributing money to the Premiership

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So why do you think the board, nominated by the clubs, didn't suggest it? Maybe because they knew they'd still be arguing about the details now?

Why didn't Brechin's man suggest something that meant his team actually having to play their relegation play-off?

Why didn't the 2-3 Celtic supporters suggest something other than killing off  a null & void threat to 9IAR?

Why didn't Motherwell's man suggest something other than cashing in on their unexpected 3rd spot?

Why didn't Hamilton's man suggest something other than saving themselves from  their relegation play-off?

Why didn't Doncaster suggest something other than killing the season asap to minimise the chances of a renegotiation of TV deals (and possibly his personal bonus)?

Hmmm. I wonder, Welshbairn.  

An inquiring mind might guess is that they knew perfectly well what they were doing when they welded further payments (from the £9m kitty) to voting for the proposal.

15 minutes ago, Sportslawyer1 said:

Contract law is actually quiet easy -offer and acceptance.  The boards  offers  a deal - Subject to ABCD - and the clubs the accept based on all the terms included.

Really? I'll bow to your superior knowledge, why on earth didn't they do that, the fools.

11 minutes ago, Sportslawyer1 said:

Munzo - please read my comments - I said he is a great journalist - I didn’t mention Scottish football - remember he writes widely on many sports and is 90% of the time on the money On what he writes IMO - he is to good of a journalist to be focusing on this nonsense. 

on a side note About a fellow lawyer the most respected football executive for the best part of 2 decades to come out of Scotland across UEFA and FIFA  etc - Peter Lawell is just sitting back in his house quietly pondering what makes these madmen and women tick he must be bemused at the madness 

Then maybe he (English) should stick to what he supposedly knows more about then,  I.e. rugby, golf etc and leave Scottish football to others.

15 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Why didn't Brechin's man suggest something that meant his team actually having to play their relegation play-off?

Why didn't the 2-3 Celtic supporters suggest something other than killing off  a null & void threat to 9IAR?

Why didn't Motherwell's man suggest something other than cashing in on their unexpected 3rd spot?

Why didn't Hamilton's man suggest something other than saving themselves from  their relegation play-off?

Why didn't Doncaster suggest something other than killing the season asap to minimise the chances of a renegotiation of TV deals (and possibly his personal bonus)?

An inquiring mind might guess is that they knew perfectly well what they were doing when they welded further payments (from the £9m kitty) to voting for the proposal.

You think the TV deal shouldn't have been an issue to consider? Interesting. Do you think the decision to end the season would have been any different if it had been delayed? And do you think Ann Budge is serving Hearts well by arguing only for a cynical and temporary restructuring to save your team from relegation?

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I thought Neil Doncaster came across well and cleared things up as well as he ever can:-

Loans aren't a possibility because of the credit risk.

On advanced payments -  if my understanding is correct, the prize money is paid in instalments through the season (never exceeding the total they can receive based at the end of the season) which means that the majority of clubs already had the bulk of their prize money. What was left to be paid was an amount so little that most clubs could end up receiving more than they are due should the season reconvene - that would mean clubs receiving potential excess payments were in debt to the SPFL therefore that excess would need to be paid as a loan - which now we know can't be done.

A loan to one or two clubs after due diligence is a different thing to loans to 42 clubs, plus there wasn’t a wide scale demand for loans so this is a non issue.

The most recent advance seems to have been facilitated by Celtic agreeing to delay money due to them so there was no risk to the SPFL.  Who was agreeing to fund advances in this case?  No-one?

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Really? I'll bow to your superior knowledge, why on earth didn't they do that, the fools.

The only fools here are the clubs who didn’t understand the pragmatic approach to the issue we are facing-  survival first - money distributed with caveats attached - reconstruction second. Now clubs have the money we are eventually getting round to that reconstruction too much panic from too many club executives for my liking- cool heads would have seen this whole issue solved. what the SPFL board  have done and are doing is trying to steer a path through an ever increasing dangerous situation to ensure all clubs survive and football returns

for me the simple question on the far side of this crisis For every club in Scotland is this -did we survive ?? If we did all well and good and we go again for another season!!! 

Who the f**k doesn't know the difference between an advance and a loan? The only similarity is in both instances its one party giving money to another party. 

We can't even excuse English for a culture clash, he's an Irish man living in Scotland. 

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

A loan to one or two clubs after due diligence is a different thing to loans to 42 clubs, plus there wasn’t a wide scale demand for loans so this is a non issue.

The most recent advance seems to have been facilitated by Celtic agreeing to delay money due to them so there was no risk to the SPFL.  Who was agreeing to fund advances in this case?  No-one?

That would be down to the spfl saying that prize money could only be paid to the clubs if they voted for the resolution. 

The adherence to the party line on here is amazing, very Orwellian...

15 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Then maybe he (English) should stick to what he supposedly knows more about then,  I.e. rugby, golf etc and leave Scottish football to others.

Well that’s fair enough.. but for me those covering Scottish football media wise are rubbish and too close to clubs or the SFA or the SPFL. On this whole issue he( English) has been brilliant at uncovering issues and interacting with clubs gaining widespread opinions he dares to have a mind of his own to ask the essential questions, to challenge rangers claims, to ask Doncaster where he is,  to find out  what to hell went on ??? Is that bad journalism!!!is this not what Scottish football needs right now ?? 

11 minutes ago, Sportslawyer1 said:

The only fools here are the clubs who didn’t understand the pragmatic approach to the issue we are facing-  survival first - money distributed with caveats attached - reconstruction second.

What are you on about, that's exactly what happened, and what they voted for. Are you on the wind up?

The adherence to the party line on here is amazing, very Orwellian...

WTF are you wittering on about. Still have absolutely no idea what your club is annoyed about. Please explain what the issue is Benny

English uncovered an issue by simply reading previous years SPFL audited accounts. He discovered f**k all as was shown by the way he was widely ridiculed on air today

Well that’s fair enough.. but for me those covering Scottish football media wise are rubbish and too close to clubs or the SFA or the SPFL. On this whole issue he( English) has been brilliant at uncovering issues and interacting with clubs gaining widespread opinions he dares to have a mind of his own to ask the essential questions, to challenge rangers claims, to ask Doncaster where he is,  to find out  what to hell went on ??? Is that bad journalism!!!is this not what Scottish football needs right now ?? 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What are you on about, that's exactly what happened, and what they voted for. Are you on the wind up?

No I am !!! Let’s get real did some clubs want money without reconstruction ???  Did some clubs oppose relegation and promotion  From the outset ?? 

answer that ??

The reality Is some clubs seen the bigger picture regardless of promotion and relegation and their  underlaying want was survival, they had to education and enlighten the others from the outset