Sportsound Watch

29 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

What's Mclaughlin done?

All he ever does is ask questions pre- and post-match?

29 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

What's Mclaughlin done?

All he ever does is ask questions pre- and post-match?

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No offence but who cares.

when Darvel beat us Leanne Crichton openly said she was delighted we got such a bad offside call against us. Some folk were raging but I get it, I’d be the same if it were any premiership team basically. 

I think hibs fans may be seeing something that isn’t really there. 

None taken, but thats not the point - if we lost yesterday, then we deserve what we get, absolutely take the piss etc.

My point, as mentioned above, has absolutely nothing to do with a one off match v Forfar.

eta - @VincentGuerin I fucked up my reply - this was what I meant to say about the fat f**k McLaughlin - 

"His questions to Hibs are a dripping roast of negativity - when Montgomery was first appointed, his first question to Hibs owner was "why did you appoint someone with no knowledge of Scottish football".

Hearts move to Murrayfield for the redevelopment of Tynie - "You really looklike Queen Anne in the Royal Box" to Budge.

There is a difference to how he approached them, its unprofessional.

I could find others, but really cba."

Edited by Leith Green

Just now, Leith Green said:

None taken, but thats not the point - if we lost yesterday, then we deserve what we get, absolutely take the piss etc.

My point, as mentioned above, has absolutely nothing to do with a one off match v Forfar.

You seem well adjusted 

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

eta - @VincentGuerin I fucked up my reply - this was what I meant to say about the fat f**k McLaughlin - 

"His questions to Hibs are a dripping roast of negativity - when Montgomery was first appointed, his first question to Hibs owner was "why did you appoint someone with no knowledge of Scottish football".

Hearts move to Murrayfield for the redevelopment of Tynie - "You really looklike Queen Anne in the Royal Box" to Budge.

There is a difference to how he approached them, its unprofessional.

I could find others, but really cba."

As pointed out above in relation to Paulo Sergio, I think you'll find these reasons to be upset if you go looking for them.

The media's "job" is to find a story. Sometimes it's your club, sometimes it's another one. I just find it a strange thing to get worked up about when we all know how it works.

I don't think Preston's opinions on Hibs are all that negative. Certainly not compared to those held by Hibs fans themselves. Yesterday he said he reckoned Shankland was basically the only difference between Hearts and Hibs' squads at the moment. I think that's quite generous to Hibs when you consider their defence and ours.

And yesterday he was doing his shouty thing for chances for both teams. It's just what he does. He did the same for Hibs' headed chance as he did for the Forfar chances.

Hibs fans have made up their minds now though, so it doesn't really matter. I think it gets filed in the same cabinet as the Aberdeen fans who think RICHARD GORDON, yes, Richard Gordon, has an agenda against their club.

All hilarious. I'm all for it.

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

As pointed out above in relation to Paulo Sergio, I think you'll find these reasons to be upset if you go looking for them.

The media's "job" is to find a story. Sometimes it's your club, sometimes it's another one. I just find it a strange thing to get worked up about when we all know how it works.

I don't think Preston's opinions on Hibs are all that negative. Certainly not compared to those held by Hibs fans themselves. Yesterday he said he reckoned Shankland was basically the only difference between Hearts and Hibs' squads at the moment. I think that's quite generous to Hibs when you consider their defence and ours.

And yesterday he was doing his shouty thing for chances for both teams. It's just what he does. He did the same for Hibs' headed chance as he did for the Forfar chances.

Hibs fans have made up their minds now though, so it doesn't really matter. I think it gets filed in the same cabinet as the Aberdeen fans who think RICHARD GORDON, yes, Richard Gordon, has an agenda against their club.

All hilarious. I'm all for it.

Opinions, eh.

Its not worth more airtime.

As it happens, I didnt hear much of it yesterday - but if Preston did say that about the respective squads, I agree 100% with you on that point.

The chance of a larger team losing to a smaller/lower league team is something that the media will always want.

If the Spartans had put Hearts out it would have made sensational headlines, same with us and Dumbarton and the sheep and Clyde. 

When your team is being frustrated by a smaller/lower league team it's easy to take those frustrations out on the commentors. 

I listened to Open All Mics right through for the first time in a while yesterday, and actually enjoyed it.

I imagine it was because:

1) Rangers and Celtic weren’t playing so didn’t dominate everything. 
2) No VAR

3) McCall in the studio having a good knowledge of all leagues, and I guess from my point of view I was interested what he had to say too.

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I listened to Open All Mics right through for the first time in a while yesterday, and actually enjoyed it.

I imagine it was because:

1) Rangers and Celtic weren’t playing so didn’t dominate everything. 
2) No VAR

3) McCall in the studio having a good knowledge of all leagues, and I guess from my point of view I was interested what he had to say too.

This, but I was getting annoyed at a couple of the reporters who would tell you there had been a goal but not saying which team scored the goal until the end of their description.  

Given the style of program the initial "GOAL" makes sense, but you had a couple of times where someone said "I'm just trying to work out who has scored", they meant player but hadn't said the team yet.  

Just now, itzdrk said:

This, but I was getting annoyed at a couple of the reporters who would tell you there had been a goal but not saying which team scored the goal until the end of their description.  

Given the style of program the initial "GOAL" makes sense, but you had a couple of times where someone said "I'm just trying to work out who has scored", they meant player but hadn't said the team yet.  

Haha yeah there was - it’s always an issue on the show, though maybe not for that length of time. At least yesterday the host was pulling them up and asking for who! I imagine that was because it was the inexperienced people doing it, as I don’t recall it happening when it’s the more experienced guys.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

No offence but who cares.

when Darvel beat us Leanne Crichton openly said she was delighted we got such a bad offside call against us. Some folk were raging but I get it, I’d be the same if it were any premiership team basically. 

I think hibs fans may be seeing something that isn’t really there. 

You arent getting the point that there's a hearts fans consistently covering our games wanting us to lose.   You boy have Willie Miller for Aberdeen, we have a jambo wanting us to lose. 

It's nothing to do with the studio wanting the plucky underdog, the presenter is a currant bun and can you imagine Pat Bonner covering a rangers game willing the other team to win then almost crying when they score?  Aye it would be funny but it doesn't happen for any other club bar us.     If you can think of a supporter of a club covering their rivals a lot of the time hoping they get smashed then name one reporter?  But you won't able to. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

34 minutes ago, bennett said:

The chance of a larger team losing to a smaller/lower league team is something that the media will always want.

If the Spartans had put Hearts out it would have made sensational headlines, same with us and Dumbarton and the sheep and Clyde. 

When your team is being frustrated by a smaller/lower league team it's easy to take those frustrations out on the commentors. 

You wouldn't be saying that if a former celtic player or supporter was covering your clubs team actively wanting you to lose on the bbc.  In fact there would probably be a petition into parliament by now or similar to stop it. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

Just now, Hoose Rice said:

You wouldn't be saying that if a former celtic player or support was covering your clubs team actively wanting you to lose on the bbc.  In fact there would probably be a petition into parliament by now or similar to stop it. 

I really think this "actively wanting you to lose" is overdoing it.

I've heard Preston covering plenty of Hibs games, and I've never thought he's over the score. He says Hibs are playing well sometimes, and that they're playing badly sometimes. Same as when he's covering Hearts. He does his shouty stuff all the time, including when Hearts concede in games he's covering.

I think Hibs fans are being a bit sensitive here.

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I really think this "actively wanting you to lose" is overdoing it.

I've heard Preston covering plenty of Hibs games, and I've never thought he's over the score. He says Hibs are playing well sometimes, and that they're playing badly sometimes. Same as when he's covering Hearts. He does his shouty stuff all the time, including when Hearts concede in games he's covering.

I think Hibs fans are being a bit sensitive here.

Yesterday he did.  He was shouting up and down going radge when Forfar had a chance, we scored it was like a death in the family. 

I'm not one for being sensitive mate, (not when it comes to football anyway) and by all accords my frustrations are more into how fucking shite we are and almost got emptied off the 3rd bottom team in league two but Preston was a fucking p***k yesterday and a hearts fan on the bbc shouldn't be covering Hibernian games.  That's not impartial and it doesn't happen to any other clubs in the division.  I would have rather wee Robbo covered the game saying that mind you.  At least he's a great c**t and calls things correctly. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think Hibs fans are being a bit sensitive here

Maybe we are, but there is a reason.

As Hoose mentions above, if there were 3 Hibbies covering a Hearts match (or a derby, as happens if PM is the commentator), I am pretty sure you wouldnt be quite as sanguine.......................

Just now, Hoose Rice said:

Yesterday he did.  He was shouting up and down going radge when Forfar had a chance, we scored it was like a death in the family. 

I'm not one for being sensitive mate, and by all accords my frustrations are more into how fucking shite we are and almost got emptied off the 3rd bottom team of league two but Preston was a fucking p***k yesterday and a hearts fan on the bbc shouldn't be covering Hibernian games.  That's not impartial and it doesn't happen to any other clubs in the division.  I would have rather wee Robbo covered the game saying that mind you.  At least he's a great c**t and calls things correctly. 

I think yesterday has been covered above. Of course he wanted Hibs to lose. Everyone did. That's the deal on 4th round day as a Premiership team. I don't think he'd have been any different had it been Forfar v Motherwell.

I suppose it comes down to what people want from coverage. Preston is open about his allegiances, and I think that's better. I've got no time for this faux neutrality around football reporting, or the idea that it's like the UN and everyone must be respectful and down the line at all times.

I know a guy who writes for the BBC. Does match reports etc. I know who he supports and I know who he dislikes etc. When you read his match reports (he doesn't like Hearts) and you know him, you know to take his writing with a pinch of salt. But most readers don't know him. I think that's worse, as that's something being presented as completely neutral and a balanced view of what happened in a game, but actually written with an angle most readers aren't aware of. That's misleading the audience.

It's football. Everyone is partisan and it's best out in the open.

The function of the OAM pundits is to tell you what's going on in the game, analyse performance etc. I think Preston is fair when he does that for Hibs. I don't agree he treats Hibs differently to anyone else. He's as critical of them as any other team, but positive when required. And I don't think a different pundit would have reacted all that differently to the Forfar v Hibs game yesterday.

I think it's at the stage now where it's just a bee in the Hibs supports' bonnets and they see it as more than it is.

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Maybe we are, but there is a reason.

As Hoose mentions above, if there were 3 Hibbies covering a Hearts match (or a derby, as happens if PM is the commentator), I am pretty sure you wouldnt be quite as sanguine.......................

I honestly could not care less who covers the games.

It doesn't matter.

If willie Miller is telling us about Aberdeen v Hearts, it's still Aberdeen v Hearts. It's not like he's inventing the score.

Edited by VincentGuerin

As a neutral in the Hearts/Hibs/AP debate I have to be honest and say I think Preston is a snidey wankstain when it comes to covering and discussing Hibs.

It's not a life changing thing mind you and has zero impact on matches but it's completely unprofessional and not a great look from the BBC.

5 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

As a neutral in the Hearts/Hibs/AP debate I have to be honest and say I think Preston is a snidey wankstain when it comes to covering and discussing Hibs.

It's not a life changing thing mind you and has zero impact on matches but it's completely unprofessional and not a great look from the BBC.

I don't think you're any more or less neitral than me, to be honest.

I don't know Alan Preston and have absolutely no interest in his professional progression or reputation.

I just think the Hibs fans are in a wee bubble here. Can anyone give an example of him being a snidey wankstain specifically about Hibs that I've missed?

Can't say I've heard any criticism of Hibs from him that you don't hear from their own fans. The Hibs.net thread yesterday had folk raging at Preston saying how shite Hibs were playing, while the fans posting from the game were... raging at how shite Hibs were playing. 🤣

As I mentioned, even yesterday he was talking up their squad.

Edited by VincentGuerin

There is no doubt that Allan Preston's integrity is compromised, but that's more because he's an agent who has connections to several of the players he's commenting on rather than the fact he used to play for Hearts.