Sportsound Watch

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

blinking trailer park boys GIF

We're not discussing a penalty claim here.

Does your being a Hibs fan have any bearing on your view of John Collins' suitability to be a pundit? Or the quality of Irvine Welsh's books? Or the merits of Dougray Scott's acting?

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

We're not discussing a penalty claim here.

Does your being a Hibs fan have any bearing on your view of John Collins' suitability to be a pundit? Or the quality of Irvine Welsh's books? Or the merits of Dougray Scott's acting?

I think the difference is that Welsh has been in the pundit position for Hibs TV, but as far as I know hasnt worked in a similar position for the BBC.

Anyway, f**k this, its taking away valuable time from a tricky guitar riff I am learning.

Have a nice Sunday all (unless Preston is looking in, in which case I hope your next jobby is a hedgehog........)

It shouldn't be overlooked in fairness that Alan Preston is also a bit of a moron....

"CHAAAAANCE..........  no its out for a throw in just inside the Aberdeen half"

Edited by Flybhoy

32 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think yesterday has been covered above. Of course he wanted Hibs to lose. Everyone did. That's the deal on 4th round day as a Premiership team. I don't think he'd have been any different had it been Forfar v Motherwell.

I suppose it comes down to what people want from coverage. Preston is open about his allegiances, and I think that's better. I've got no time for this faux neutrality around football reporting, or the idea that it's like the UN and everyone must be respectful and down the line at all times.

I know a guy who writes for the BBC. Does match reports etc. I know who he supports and I know who he dislikes etc. When you read his match reports (he doesn't like Hearts) and you know him, you know to take his writing with a pinch of salt. But most readers don't know him. I think that's worse, as that's something being presented as completely neutral and a balanced view of what happened in a game, but actually written with an angle most readers aren't aware of. That's misleading the audience.

It's football. Everyone is partisan and it's best out in the open.

The function of the OAM pundits is to tell you what's going on in the game, analyse performance etc. I think Preston is fair when he does that for Hibs. I don't agree he treats Hibs differently to anyone else. He's as critical of them as any other team, but positive when required. And I don't think a different pundit would have reacted all that differently to the Forfar v Hibs game yesterday.

I think it's at the stage now where it's just a bee in the Hibs supports' bonnets and they see it as more than it is.

There's not a chance Preston would be on sportsound wanting hearts to lose to Spartans yesterday for the romance of the cup.  There's no danger he would have went wild when they scored and acted like someone died when that Peterboro reject scored the winner for you boys.     He wasn't fair yesterday, Rory Loy wouldn't be cheering on Dumbarton goals yesterday and Bonner wont be on Sportsound hoping Buckie win against the jungle jims either.   That's the point. 

Again, name one club that has a supporter of their arch rival summarising their games on sportsound?  Just one. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

43 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

You wouldn't be saying that if a former celtic player or supporter was covering your clubs team actively wanting you to lose on the bbc.  In fact there would probably be a petition into parliament by now or similar to stop it. 

On various TV and radio stations we have Chris Sutton,  Andy Walker,  John Hartson,  P Bonner,  James McFadden etc,  Richard Gordon wasn't a celtic fan but definitely wanted us to lose.  

The best one was when Arfield scored 2 late goals against the sheep and Willie Miller shouted Awwwww Naw!

Thankfully I don't tune in all that often these days, but the idea that Preston's shrieking is limited to home goals at Tynecastle is a definite myth. I've always found his "excitement" levels generally just reflect the game, even if the away team at Tynecastle is giving us a doing. I bet if you searched Kickback you'd find a dozen threads calling him a w**k with an agenda against the club for this reason. The reality is he's just irritating to listen to.

One thing I think Preston is to be commended for is for his contant "CHANCE... oh, no, throw-in" stuff.

They should all do that. Too many of them we don't hear from for twenty minutes, then Kenny goes round the grounds and it's "Killie had a header over the bar, and Dundee had a shot saved". Well, fucking tell us about it as it happens then, that's your fucking job.

Willie Miller basically sits and watches the game unless actually asked by McIntyre to comment. You can forget the game he is at is on sometimes.

More interruption, fewer Gladiator names.

1 minute ago, bennett said:

On various TV and radio stations we have Chris Sutton,  Andy Walker,  John Hartson,  P Bonner,  James McFadden etc,  Richard Gordon wasn't a celtic fan but definitely wanted us to lose.  

The best one was when Arfield scored 2 late goals against the sheep and Willie Miller shouted Awwwww Naw!

Gies peace man !

In all of those occasions you also have some brain donor Rangers player/fan like Boyd or Alex Rae bumbling through their pish.

Right, that is absolutely definitely me for now !!!

Just now, bennett said:

No for Rangers games theres Kris Boyd, Rory Loy, Cammy Bell, that wifie that was on yesterday.   Any time Rangers are on Sky sports theres a former rangers player covering, almost every game on the bbc likewise.  They don't stick Peter Grant on for Rangers v Dundee, why not? 

Was that an Arfield game against Aberdeen per chance?   His team.  We get a hearts fan covering hibs v forfar. 

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Thankfully I don't tune in all that often these days, but the idea that Preston's shrieking is limited to home goals at Tynecastle is a definite myth. I've always found his "excitement" levels generally just reflect the game, even if the away team at Tynecastle is giving us a doing. I bet if you searched Kickback you'd find a dozen threads calling him a w**k with an agenda against the club for this reason. The reality is he's just irritating to listen to.

He's usually just an empty heided p***k but yesterday was an exception.

Questions still out there as to a hearts fan covering out games.  At least they have the excuse Mike Stewart used to play for us. 

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

One thing I think Preston is to be commended for is for his contant "CHANCE... oh, no, throw-in" stuff.

They should all do that. Too many of them we don't hear from for twenty minutes, then Kenny goes round the grounds and it's "Killie had a header over the bar, and Dundee had a shot saved". Well, fucking tell us about it as it happens then, that's your fucking job.

Willie Miller basically sits and watches the game unless actually asked by McIntyre to comment. You can forget the game he is at is on sometimes.

More interruption, fewer Gladiator names.

Was quite funny with 15 mins left at Livi yesterday at 1-1 Miller said both teams were trying to break the deadlock to be fair :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Was quite funny with 15 mins left at Livi yesterday at 1-1 Miller said both teams were trying to break the deadlock to be fair :lol: 

He's a funny one.

I've heard it a bit more this year as I'm going to fewer games, but I heard quite a few Saturdays last season with Hearts having so many Sunday games.

He often sounds absolutely dejected to be at a game. Maybe it's just his personality, but he sounds like he'd like to be anywhere else, and then generally offers next to no updates on the game he's watching.

The lad doing the Morton game yesterday was good for cutting in. More of them should do that. The whole point is that we know what's going on in all the games. Derek Ferguson is the only one I can think of who will cut in with a tactical update. "Kenny, Dundee have changed to a three in the last few minutes here, because ..." etc. There should be more of that.

Edited by VincentGuerin

16 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

He's a funny one.

I've heard it a bit more this year as I'm goingr to fewer games, but I heard quite a few Saturdays last season with Hearts having so many Sunday games.

He often sounds absolutely dejected to be at a game. Maybe it's just his personality, but he sounds like he'd like to be anywhere else, and then generally offers next to no updates on the game he's watching.

The lad doing the Morton game yesterday was good for cutting in. More of them should do that. The whole point is that we know what's going on in all the games. Derek Ferguson is the only one I can think of who will cut in with a tactical update. "Kenny, Dundee have changed to a three in the last few minutes here, because ..." etc. There should be more of that.

Yeah Miller does give that impression mate I do agree, where as Derek Ferguson can make Arbroath v Inverness sound the greatest game in Europe that weekend and he's legit chuffed to being paid to cover it, I actually really like DF.  

The Morten guy was really good agree, there was also a lady covering (not the Gladiator one who was pretty decent too) but one of the other games that didn't sound the biggest football fan but had the best reporting manner on the bbc I have heard in years, sure she called trying to score a goal a score but she was enthusiastic and intelligent and never "eh eh isn't that right?" Jane Lewising all afternoon. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

3 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

It's nothing to do with the studio wanting the plucky underdog, the presenter is a currant bun and can you imagine Pat Bonner covering a rangers game willing the other team to win then almost crying when they score?  

That would require Pat Bonner to actually be physically capable of covering a football match that didn’t involve Celtic. 

15 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

That would require Pat Bonner to actually be physically capable of covering a football match that didn’t involve Celtic. 

Which is why he's employed by bbc scotland.  Yet others are supposed to be alright about their team being covered by a reporter/pundit that actively supports our main rivals. 

Sickening to hear various Buckie players and staff gush about their 'heroes' Celtic and Celtic Park in their thick teuchter accents.

Obviously I still hope they win (they won't), but I won't be feeling sorry for the dickbag glory hunters among the Buckie team and staff if they get absolutely pumped.