What was that film/TV show called?

BFTD

A French movie shown on channel 4 in the 90's sometime , it was about a group of people who were writing a comic that was about a group of people who were writing a comic and then the story started to happen to them in real life or something like that 

Just watched 'Rules of Engagement"... a USA military/courtroom drama from 2001, surprisingly a film ive never got round to watching before despite it being one of the genre of films that appeals to me and includes a stellar cast, Samuel L Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones are fantastic as always and Guy Pearce is excellent as the intensely dislikeable prosecution lawyer.

A very enjoyable watch, not too sure it has enough of a 'wow' factor that it would make my list of films I can watch several times over, possibly because it does feel a bit like you are watching essentially a remake of A Few Good Men, just with a different cast and a few storyline tweaks... SLJ comes close to Jack Nicholson's 'You can't handle the truth' courtroom explosion when pushed to the limit by Guy Pearce, much in the way Tom Cruise does, this is clearly deliberately scripted and feels a bit cliched and obvious, although the two actors execute the scene brilliantly though truth be told. 

8/10 a very enjoyable, riveting watch but just falls a wee bit short of all time classic for me  

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Just watched 'Rules of Engagement"... a USA military/courtroom drama from 2001, surprisingly a film ive never got round to watching before despite it being one of the genre of films that appeals to me and includes a stellar cast, Samuel L Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones are fantastic as always and Guy Pearce is excellent as the intensely dislikeable prosecution lawyer.

A very enjoyable watch, not too sure it has enough of a 'wow' factor that it would make my list of films I can watch several times over, possibly because it does feel a bit like you are watching essentially a remake of A Few Good Men, just with a different cast and a few storyline tweaks... SLJ comes close to Jack Nicholson's 'You can't handle the truth' courtroom explosion when pushed to the limit by Guy Pearce, much in the way Tom Cruise does, this is clearly deliberately scripted and feels a bit cliched and obvious, although the two actors execute the scene brilliantly though truth be told. 

8/10 a very enjoyable, riveting watch but just falls a wee bit short of all time classic for me  

Wrong thread?

IIRC, Rules of Engagement is the film that starts with soldiers being sent in to rescue people from a besieged American embassy somewhere in Arabland and, just as they've got everyone to safety, someone remember that they forgot to rescue the American fleg flying on the roof, so the soldiers have to go back in and rescue it, and one of them gets killed as a result, and am I the only person who finds that to be more than a little strange?

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

IIRC, Rules of Engagement is the film that starts with soldiers being sent in to rescue people from a besieged American embassy somewhere in Arabland and, just as they've got everyone to safety, someone remember that they forgot to rescue the American fleg flying on the roof, so the soldiers have to go back in and rescue it, and one of them gets killed as a result, and am I the only person who finds that to be more than a little strange?

No, it's a well established fact that Americans are jingoistic and thick, so that sounds about right. 

• 5 weeks later...

Saw a trailer for a film a while back about a serial killer whose latest victim turns out to be an even bigger nutter and turns the tables. Didn't look like the greatest film of all time or anything, but I quite liked the idea. Sound familiar to anyone?

Also, I vaguely remember hearing about a recent film where a dementia sufferer tries to investigate somebody's disappearance. Again, sounded interesting, but I didn't pick up on a name. Any suggestions?

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Saw a trailer for a film a while back about a serial killer whose latest victim turns out to be an even bigger nutter and turns the tables. Didn't look like the greatest film of all time or anything, but I quite liked the idea. Sound familiar to anyone?

Also, I vaguely remember hearing about a recent film where a dementia sufferer tries to investigate somebody's disappearance. Again, sounded interesting, but I didn't pick up on a name. Any suggestions?

The second one is the last episode of the Ken Branagh Wallander but doubt that's what you're thinking of 

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

The second one is the last episode of the Ken Branagh Wallander but doubt that's what you're thinking of 

It was Elizabeth is Missing. Knew it had a big-name actress in the lead role, who turned out to be Glenda Jackson - I didn't even know she was still acting.

Is Wallander worth watching? Kenneth Branagh has always tended to put me off watching something, but the last Orient Express adaption has changed that.

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It was Elizabeth is Missing. Knew it had a big-name actress in the lead role, who turned out to be Glenda Jackson - I didn't even know she was still acting.

Is Wallander worth watching? Kenneth Branagh has always tended to put me off watching something, but the last Orient Express adaption has changed that.

I really liked it. Pretty by the numbers detective drama a lot of time but he elevates it a lot. Gets the Wallander from the books - caring, distracted, slobby, understated - pretty well imo

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw a Tales of the Unexpected episode about a vicar whose mother/congregation all want to shag/eat him (Roald Dahl was weird), and it reminded me of a terrible Eighties sitcom about a vicar called Clifford whose congregation all wanted to shag him. I didn't dream this, did I?

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Just saw a Tales of the Unexpected episode about a vicar whose mother/congregation all want to shag/eat him (Roald Dahl was weird), and it reminded me of a terrible Eighties sitcom about a vicar called Clifford whose congregation all wanted to shag him. I didn't dream this, did I?

Are you thinking of Ballykissangel?

Stephen Tompkinson's character was Fr Peter Clifford

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Are you thinking of Ballykissangel?

Stephen Tompkinson's character was Fr Peter Clifford

No, this was set in a wee English village, a bit like The Vicar of Dibley. Was on in the mid-to-late Eighties, and probably didn't get a very long run. The main reason I remember that the vicar's name was Clifford is that, in the theme song, the choir of women sang "Clifford, help us" for some reason. I can't remember much else about it, other than that the main premise was that all the female parishioners wanted into the vicar's pants. Not quite a Carry On style farce, but more of a mild slightly-awkward-situations kind of thing. Think it was probably an ITV.

Once again, I've disappeared down a rabbit hole trying to find something I've no interest in actually seeing, just to prove to myself that it actually happened  :wacko:

TROUBLES & STRIFE! That was it. Barely any references to it on the internet, and the only video I could find was a 52 second clip. A sure sign of quality.

Wish I could find a clip of the opening credits to see if I'm remembering the theme song right, but at least I know it's real now.

On 14/06/2021 at 11:29, BFTD said:

Quite a few scenes were filmed in Paisley, Dixon St is still cobbled and Kilnside Rd looks down to the Abbey Mill.

The shop at the end of Dixon St (actually on Kilnside Rd) was given an olde worlde makeover as was another at the foot of Church Hill on High St.

image.png.483b5f13cf45c75a5a38dcfac297d6e7.png

image.png.88e2a5cf8c325f850f1a1a0ed406f16f.png

• 7 months later...
On 13/05/2021 at 09:34, BigDoddyKane said:

A French movie shown on channel 4 in the 90's sometime , it was about a group of people who were writing a comic that was about a group of people who were writing a comic and then the story started to happen to them in real life or something like that 

Netflix seems to have added a load of old movies and randomly I saw this suggested and realised its the above movie

Jeu de massacre

http://www.newwavefilm.com/french-new-wave-encyclopedia/killing-game.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

Depends which series you watch. Branagh is the worst of the 3 Wallanders. The podium is :-
Gold Medal:- Rolf Lassgard. The best by a mile. IMHO, this guy is a hugely underrated actor.
Silver:- Krister Hendricksson. Very good, the characterisation was more developed in these series, as was his relationship with his daughter.
Bronze:- Branagh. Thought this was very poor in comparison.
I also enjoyed seeing the Swedish originals and the subtitled language thing.