The Arbroath Thread

I'm very unhappy with that comment to say the least, not only is it complete nonsense that Kane 'missed a sitter', even if he had done the latter part of the quote is completely unnecessary and rather condensing to say the least. We started with 2 younger players than Kane also....To be honest I don't think it would be going to far to say it's a fairly disgraceful thing to say/ do.

Complete unnecessary and poor management in my opinion.

I'm very unhappy with that comment to say the least, not only is it complete nonsense that Kane 'missed a sitter', even if he had done the latter part of the quote is completely unnecessary and rather condensing to say the least. We started with 2 younger players than Kane also....To be honest I don't think it would be going to far to say it's a fairly disgraceful thing to say/ do.

Complete unnecessary and poor management in my opinion.

Totally agree. Would he have said the same if Skelly, Prunty or Doris had missed the "sitter"

What is your on with Mike Cargill now being Montrose goalie coach, but still working for and doing daily admin duties at Gayfield? Clearly Dick has his own views on who he wants to coach the keepers, and it obviously isn't Mike. So he goes off and gets the role at Links Park, which he is perfectly entitled to do. But surely it is a massive conflict of interests to be involved with the day to day running of AFC and then training with and spending matchdays as a Montrose member of staff.

I can't get my head around how inappropriate that seems. I welcome other's views and would like to be enlightened on how it can be allowed to happen.

Mike Cargill's situation seems strange, but when you looked at the players on both sides, many have played for the same teams and are friends off the park. In addition you have the Campbell family involvement on both sides. I guess it's just the modern game.

Seen that comment by Campbell about Hester and frankly it was out of order, ridiculous thing to say.The real reason Hester isn't getting a start is that he brought Prunty in so he's his man and the chance Hester missed was not a sitter,it was a decent chance but nothing like a sitter,Prunty missed a similar chance against Berwick.It really is very poor stuff from Campbell.

2 hours ago, timlichtie said:

Mike Cargill's situation seems strange, but when you looked at the players on both sides, many have played for the same teams and are friends off the park. In addition you have the Campbell family involvement on both sides. I guess it's just the modern game.

Yes but Dick's sons don't have access to inside information about the running of AFC. Mike is in the office at Gayfield every day, party to conversations between board members, such as possible transfers, who the manager is thinking of putting on the bench etc. I like Mike and am not suggesting for one moment that he would do anything untoward, but it just seems strange to me. 

I am not it is the 'modern game'. Can you imagine someone who works at Parkhead in the office all week, then going to Ibrox on Saturday to be part of the home team's matchday staff. Or Dens and Tannadice or Easter Road and Tynecastle.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Putting too much emphasis into what is effectively someone kicking baws into someone's hands 2 nights a week and on a Saturday. Mike won't be at our training in Perth or at Gayfield on a Saturday either so can't see it as a problem personally.

But as I said in my reply to timlichtie, Mike is in the Gayfield office every day.

I actually think DCs interviews have been very refreshing so far, we had to put up with some dross from Lumsden and even Moore trying to sugar coat things time and time again so I like the fact that he is honest and tells it how it is, Saturday simply wasn't a good performance but it was a game we would've lost 2 or 3 nil last season.

I didn't actually see Kane missing a "sitter" however most players who signed have praised his man management so I would assume Kane is fully aware of what he needs to do get in the starting 11. Also, when did Kane suddenly become Messi? We have a tendency to constantly look to someone who isn't playing as if they are some sort of talisman. He has signed Prunty and Doris so it makes sense to give them a run of games (possibly even the full 1st quarter) to see if they can strike up a partnership and get something going.

One of my biggest disappointments with the previous manager was lack of communication with the fans. DC has been refreshing in his total frankness and accessibility so far. He was brilliant with the fans at Inverness.

The calls for Kane to start were heard all last season and I agreed. Unfortunately when he got a start he couldn't really make an impact. Definitely much more potent coming off the bench when defenders are tiring. This may well change as he gets stronger, but for now I don't think he's quite ready. 

When Jimmy Scott comes back in, then I think Mark Whatley should play RB. We were outplayed in midfield on Saturday and definitely need more dig and pace there. On the positives, the bench is looking stronger. All 3 subs on Sat make good impact and we nearly pinched it as a result.

I actually think DCs interviews have been very refreshing so far, we had to put up with some dross from Lumsden and even Moore trying to sugar coat things time and time again so I like the fact that he is honest and tells it how it is, Saturday simply wasn't a good performance but it was a game we would've lost 2 or 3 nil last season.

I didn't actually see Kane missing a "sitter" however most players who signed have praised his man management so I would assume Kane is fully aware of what he needs to do get in the starting 11. Also, when did Kane suddenly become Messi? We have a tendency to constantly look to someone who isn't playing as if they are some sort of talisman. He has signed Prunty and Doris so it makes sense to give them a run of games (possibly even the full 1st quarter) to see if they can strike up a partnership and get something going.

Aye

I'll be honest I thought it was a silly comment because I don't think it was a sitter as such, but he is 'just a boy' compared to the experienced Prunty and Doris who he's up against in the same position, I think that's what was meant..

As far as I am aware he's really enjoying it, and I'm sure he'll get his chance over the season. Prunty and Doris are our main 2 though and were only 2 games into the campaign. They deserve to be starting at the moment. I actually missed Saturday's goal but I hear Prunty done well for it, and Doris is Doris you know what you get from him. Plenty of running and if he gets a chance you'd fancy him to score.

Skelly looked no bad too, he looks like he's bulked up a bit.

Hopefully we can get a win under our belts soon. Saturday's performance was awful but games like that will come around every so often for every team. At least we never got beat.

McCord will be a big miss now, he seems to love a yellow!! So fingers crossed Scott is back, would put him in for McCord as a straight swap, might still put Whatley to right back as we've plenty options in midfield.

See what happens. It's frustrating because I really think we should be sitting here with a couple more points just now, we should have won one of those games.

Regarding the Mike Cargill situation - while it is rather bizarre to say the least I don't think it makes any difference to us in terms of 'insider knowledge' or anything like that. At this level I suspect all the rumours/ gossip etc. go round all the players anyway and as has been said Mike won't be seeing anything regarding our tactics or training. It is still a very odd situation though! I suspect it'll be a rarity for him to even see the players this year, as he won't be at training or ever there on a Saturday due to his commitments with Montrose.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

I agree regarding DC's interviews usually, he has given a fairly honest assessment after games and I liked that he complimented the referee after the Berwick game as most of the other refs we've had this season have been piss poor and he deserved some praise for letting the game flow and not needlessly booking players. However his comment about Kane is way off the mark for me, both in terms of the 'missing a sitter' comment being utter bullshit and I feel it's extremely demotivating for Kane to read stuff like that. As was said previously, he's completely thrown him under the bus with that comment, and it didn't need to be made at all. If he wants Kane to be doing certain things differently/ if he's not a fan of him then that's fine, but those sort of comments in public regarding one of his own players is very poor in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

One of my biggest disappointments with the previous manager was lack of communication with the fans. DC has been refreshing in his total frankness and accessibility so far. He was brilliant with the fans at Inverness.

The calls for Kane to start were heard all last season and I agreed. Unfortunately when he got a start he couldn't really make an impact. Definitely much more potent coming off the bench when defenders are tiring. This may well change as he gets stronger, but for now I don't think he's quite ready. 

When Jimmy Scott comes back in, then I think Mark Whatley should play RB. We were outplayed in midfield on Saturday and definitely need more dig and pace there. On the positives, the bench is looking stronger. All 3 subs on Sat make good impact and we nearly pinched it as a result.

Completely agree with pretty much all of this. I don't think Kane should be starting games (and DC has brought him on in both our league games so far in fairness) but that doesn't mean the manager should make such shit comments to the press. I definitely agree regarding Whatley at RB and Jimmy Scott/ McCord in the centre of the park. I hope/ suspect that is the plan going forward. If either McCord or Jimmy Scott are unavailable tomorrow then I would be tempted to go with David Gold (can't believe I'm saying this :lol: ) as he has shown up well in his last 3 appearences.

We definitely have an overall stronger squad this season, and we have FAR more talent in the squad than last year. So far Dick has signed some great players, but I have to say I've not been impressed with us tactically both in terms of how we've started games and the 'game management' side of things at points. However it is still VERY early on and I don't think it's fair to make a proper judgement on certain players/ partnerships/ tactics until we've played our first 9 league games. I'm still confident things will come good for us and that we'll be up the top this year.

Saturday's game up at Elgin will be extremely difficult, and it's one I think i'd happily take a point out of.