The Arbroath Thread

Moving the TV gantry to the roof of the stand is a great idea, wouldn’t take much to fully enclose it for inclement weather and the viewing angle for the TV would be better, could also maybe stick a webcam on the top for a general overview of Gayfield although turn it off during game play, all good suggestions though.

4 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Moving the TV gantry to the roof of the stand is a great idea, wouldn’t take much to fully enclose it for inclement weather and the viewing angle for the TV would be better, could also maybe stick a webcam on the top for a general overview of Gayfield although turn it off during game play, all good suggestions though.

I think it would be a bit of an eyesore on top of the stand. Think it is fine where it is personally

Personally, I think it's a superb appointment. From a business point of view - I view these things fairly straightforward. We've created a paid role, and as a minimum for a Commercial Director you expect them to 'pay their way'. If the club have created a role commercially worthy of a, say, £25k per year salary, then I would expect they believe the role be able to generate additional revenue of at least that amount per year. Essentially what I'm saying is an appointment like this only costs the club money if the position doesn't exist. From an outside perspective, it looks like a very savvy appointment of a talented individual already with an affiliation to the club and passion for what we're looking to achieve.

I've no idea of the job spec Paul Reid has but considering his title I'd expect ultimately his job boils down too two things - increasing our current revenue streams and looking to expand into other areas/ create additional revenue streams that become part of our structure in the medium/ long term. I'd also expect a fair amount of this wouldn't simply equate to trying to bring in money directly, but building business relationships and helping to keep the increased crowds/ revenue we've seen recently stay at a higher level long term as opposed to this just being a flash in the pan and by 2025 we're back to League 2 and home crowds of 350.

To add to the suggestions of others, and tie into what I've said above, one area of interest may be the facilities we have at Gayfield outside of match day. We have a variety of excellent meeting spaces for both business and personal use, as well as being fully licensed and able to cater for parties/ functions etc. It could be, for example, the club offer usage of certain facilities/ rooms to businesses on demand while said businesses sponsor club/ get involved in other ways etc, and low and behold we're bringing in additional revenue in the short term, as well as building meaningful lasting relationships to bring in additional revenue in the medium and long term. This is just one of many examples - but everything takes time and resources, and to have 1 person who can cover all of these areas and bring lots of ideas to the table himself looks like a very shrewd choice.

Also entirely disagree with all of these mild wind blocking/ weather relieving ideas for Gayfield - we're fucking bigtime now - retractable roof covering not only Gayfield but a walkway too and from Tutties is what we need, anything less is unacceptable.

That would be a complete waste of time and money.  This strikes me as a really ambitious move by the club though I’m not clear whether it’s full or part time.  The last few years our ambitious board has revealed and tapped some business potential based on the club that was difficult to identify previously - the sponsorship (business and individual), hospitality, merchandising, etc and maybe there is considerably more out there, even for a town of 25,000.   I was hearing of Aberdeen-based companies with no link to AFC buying hospitality.  There are probably some established ideas we could borrow from others (a weekly lottery), maybe running the bar/restaurant on nongame days (ie the old supporters club tho issues with Tutties) and there must be more contemporary opportunities to draw in the Lichtie diaspora across the globe..   As long as we keep relatively grounded and sustainable.
I also greatly appreciate the adjustment to segregation - much more to the fans’ liking (and our traditions).  But it’s getting really crowded in the stand so why not take the full length?   It may not be needed headed into poorer weather but would allow more hygienic spacing - at present it’s getting more like a virus spreading opportunity. At away grounds, we are often confined to very small spaces.
One issue that needs urgent attention is the tannoy/PA system.  It’s virtually inaudible in many parts of the ground and so this good facility/opportunity is being lost. Longer term, some protection along the North Sea, by which I mean a double/triple line of trees as windbreak and maybe some coastal protection (tho this latter unaffordable for the club).  
Unreal times for Lichties (tho I enjoyed the early/mid 70s former peak) we are in - long may they continue

Can’t be serious about “hygienic spacing”[emoji23]

I honestly think the club needs to start thinking long term and looking to move away from Gayfield.

I love the stadium. And will always think of it as home.

But with the ever increasing outlook of climate change and rising sea levels, Gayfield will be one of the first grounds not just in the UK, but in the world that will be unusable due to rising sea levels.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Also entirely disagree with all of these mild wind blocking/ weather relieving ideas for Gayfield - we're fucking bigtime now - retractable roof covering not only Gayfield but a walkway too and from Tutties is what we need, anything less is unacceptable.

Sorry, but we need a tunnel from Tutties. Far too dangerous staggering across that busy road blootered. 

2 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Sorry, but we need a tunnel from Tutties. Far too dangerous staggering across that busy road blootered. 

A very fair point.

Frankly it's a disgrace the club have been endangering our hardcore support for generations and didn't get this installed earlier.... :rolleyes: 

f**k it - speculate to accumulate. If we installed some sort of moving walkway we could easily recoup our money back by managing to get those inebrietated to the point of being unable to walk into the ground at 20 quid a head.... :ph34r:

31 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I honestly think the club needs to start thinking long term and looking to move away from Gayfield.

But with the ever increasing outlook of climate change and rising sea levels, Gayfield will be one of the first grounds not just in the UK, but in the world that will be unusable due to rising sea levels.

Nah. I remember when we were looking to move in the 80s and, although I was slightly disappointed at the time that it fell through, it would have been awful had we moved to a Forthbank type facility.

Exactly how “long term” are you looking at here. I think it would be nearly 80 years before worst case predicted sea level rises would significantly impact Gayfield. Anyway, by then technology will be so advanced that Gayfield will be in a floating bubble which will be flown to the Maldives if the weather is looking rubbish.

Nah. I remember when we were looking to move in the 80s and, although I was slightly disappointed at the time that it fell through, it would have been awful had we moved to a Forthbank type facility.
Exactly how “long term” are you looking at here. I think it would be nearly 80 years before worst case predicted sea level rises would significantly impact Gayfield. Anyway, by then technology will be so advanced that Gayfield will be in a floating bubble which will be flown to the Maldives if the weather is looking rubbish.
At least move within the next 20 years.

Our ground is only a couple of meters above sea level. But it wont take that big a rise to start impacting the ground.

Tidal surges, high tide coupled with strong winds, worsening surface drainage etc will all start to take its toll.

At least move within the next 20 years.

Our ground is only a couple of meters above sea level. But it wont take that big a rise to start impacting the ground.

Tidal surges, high tide coupled with strong winds, worsening surface drainage etc will all start to take its toll.

We will be playing there the rest of all our lives

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Right calm doon Greta

I live some miles down the coast (in FIfe) and have witnessed severe coastal erosion, literally several metres in a decade.  It also gets increasingly and prohibitively expensive to manage, let alone install coastal defences (partly due to more severe storms).  So I am assuming the individuals on here that seem to downplay the threat are either inebriated or contrarians.  

it would be sad to leave Gayfield, so essential to the AFC experience and now elevated to almost iconic status by many away fans but I recall the last plan (90s), involved a move to Hercules Den (close to the Vics?) but that area suffered flooding in recent times.  Higher ground needed.  Of course, whenever the move becomes necessary, surely covered stadia with full alcohol licences as part of a multi entertainment complex and latest plastic pitch will be the norm.  Handy for our sorties into European competition.

6 minutes ago, Farflung said:

I live some miles down the coast (in FIfe) and have witnessed severe coastal erosion, literally several metres in a decade.  It also gets increasingly and prohibitively expensive to manage, let alone install coastal defences (partly due to more severe storms).  So I am assuming the individuals on here that seem to downplay the threat are either inebriated or contrarians.  

it would be sad to leave Gayfield, so essential to the AFC experience and now elevated to almost iconic status by many away fans but I recall the last plan (90s), involved a move to Hercules Den (close to the Vics?) but that area suffered flooding in recent times.  Higher ground needed.  Of course, whenever the move becomes necessary, surely covered stadia with full alcohol licences as part of a multi entertainment complex and latest plastic pitch will be the norm.  Handy for our sorties into European competition.

Nobody is denying the existence or fact that coastal erosion exists and happens in places? 😂 

How much has the coastline changed in Arbroath in the last 100 year?