The Arbroath Thread

I don’t understand why Henderson’s not getting a game. At some point he’ll be a regular at centre back or left back but obviously not now. He was excellent as defensive midfielder, but Dick seems to prefer Clark - who is playing well. Maybe we should try him up front. [emoji23]

8 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

5 draws in 8 games,
Gotta start taking our chances In games we dominate,
Would love to see Mckenna back up front,
Henderson seems to have completely dropped out of favour

McKenna is wasted where he is playing just now, didn't understand taking Stewart off and not Donnelly, Henderson appears to have been sacrificed in the change of system due to Low's injury

22 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I had the notion that we’d get experienced players who dropped out of FT football, but it’s interesting to look at our players’ backgrounds. (Corrections welcomed). Of the squad of 18 last Saturday -

3 moved to part time after a full time career (Gaston, Craigen, Swankie)
9 were with FT teams as teenagers but never made it with them (Donnelly, Colin Hamilton, Little, McKenna, Antell, Gold, Henderson, Hilson, Linn)
2 have never been full time (O’Brien, Stewart)
4 are on loan

22 hours ago, stan3600 said:

You can add Jason Thomson and Nicky Low to the experienced players who moved from FT to PT, so a bit more balanced.

And Hilson who had two years full time with us well after his teenage years with United. 

For that matter Antell had a year here too. 

Lads, where is a good shout for a bar lunch for the game in a few weeks? Getting train down so somewhere walkable (not Tutties)
How much of a bar lunch you looking for, the townhouse in arbroath do a little hospitality package,
A 3 course meal and 5 drinks with a taxi to the ground for £35,

Had a few drinks and thought I'd have a bit of a rant and no doubt upset a few people. 

Two points dropped yesterday rather than one point won. To paraphrase Allan Johnson "We should be beating teams like Queen of the South".

Didn't expect Stewart to be subbed, maybe carrying an injury? Michael McKenna man of the match.

We really need someone who can create chances for our strikers, someone who isn't shy of having a go at goal himself, someone who can do something different and create some excitement for the crowd. Someone like a Bobby Linn.

Wait a minute, we HAVE Bobby Linn, but the manager prefers a player who has little impact on the game. A player signed as a striker, but we were then told he isn't actually a striker he's a midfielder. But he seems to be a midfielder who doesn't really defend or create much. Maybe he's actually a goalkeeper in disguise.

The old adage of not changing a winning team is largely true, but with games against the top team in the league and the improving (and goalscoring) Raith Rovers and Partick Thistle coming up, we can't afford any passengers if we are to take anything from these games.

Unless there are injuries I can't see why Liam Henderson, James Craigen and Bobby Linn are not starting. And using Linn's age is no excuse, he's as fit  as ever. Maybe instead of giving him the last half hour of a game he should be starting the game and be subbed for the last half hour. Maybe it's a cunning plan to save them for the second half of the season when our loan players go back to their parent clubs.

We are coming to a difficult point in the season and I suspect the manager will stick doggedly with the same line up for the foreseeable future, or at least until Nicky Low is fit and can replace Stewart or McKenna or Dowds.  But as long as he can keep us in the Championship he'll be doing a great job.

Liam Henderson being completely bombed out is a weird one, barely put a foot wrong until Raith (A) when he was far from the only one to play poorly. When Low is fit again I’d definitely like to see him & Henderson in the centre of the park to provide a bit more balance, the amount of space in midfield at times the last few weeks has been crazy IMO.

When low is back i would like to see us revert back to the team from the start of the season with the exception of hamilton for gold (not that gold has done anything wrong but CH is a natural rb). I definitely see improvement in dowds and if he can get a couple of goals he might be the man to replace nouble if it comes to it but his finishing needs to improve. I think clark has been decent too so slightly harsh on him but henderson is the better all round player and one for years to come hopefully. As for donnelly i feel like it could be 5 years down the line and we’ll still be saying there’s a player in there somewhere but for me he’s a decent squad player but shouldn’t really be ahead of craigen or linn in that position.

38 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Liam Henderson being completely bombed out is a weird one, barely put a foot wrong until Raith (A) when he was far from the only one to play poorly. When Low is fit again I’d definitely like to see him & Henderson in the centre of the park to provide a bit more balance, the amount of space in midfield at times the last few weeks has been crazy IMO.

I think Clark is being picked over Henderson because he's able to cover more ground. The rest of our midfield is very attacking so we need someone who can cover for all of them. As good as Henderson has been, I don't think he would be able to do that role.

Had a few drinks and thought I'd have a bit of a rant and no doubt upset a few people. 
Two points dropped yesterday rather than one point won. To paraphrase Allan Johnson "We should be beating teams like Queen of the South".
Didn't expect Stewart to be subbed, maybe carrying an injury? Michael McKenna man of the match.
We really need someone who can create chances for our strikers, someone who isn't shy of having a go at goal himself, someone who can do something different and create some excitement for the crowd. Someone like a Bobby Linn.
Wait a minute, we HAVE Bobby Linn, but the manager prefers a player who has little impact on the game. A player signed as a striker, but we were then told he isn't actually a striker he's a midfielder. But he seems to be a midfielder who doesn't really defend or create much. Maybe he's actually a goalkeeper in disguise.
The old adage of not changing a winning team is largely true, but with games against the top team in the league and the improving (and goalscoring) Raith Rovers and Partick Thistle coming up, we can't afford any passengers if we are to take anything from these games.
Unless there are injuries I can't see why Liam Henderson, James Craigen and Bobby Linn are not starting. And using Linn's age is no excuse, he's as fit  as ever. Maybe instead of giving him the last half hour of a game he should be starting the game and be subbed for the last half hour. Maybe it's a cunning plan to save them for the second half of the season when our loan players go back to their parent clubs.
We are coming to a difficult point in the season and I suspect the manager will stick doggedly with the same line up for the foreseeable future, or at least until Nicky Low is fit and can replace Stewart or McKenna or Dowds.  But as long as he can keep us in the Championship he'll be doing a great job.

Good rant and I can perfectly understand the frustration. I thought there was no shortage of excitement yesterday and more than enough chances for our strikers. Both Luke and Anton should have scored but neither are natural finishers. Anton was particularly unlucky against a keeper playing out of his skin. Big Joel is fantastic but again not a scorer. I would be reluctant to mess with the line up that’s brought us such success.

I think Clark is being picked over Henderson because he's able to cover more ground. The rest of our midfield is very attacking so we need someone who can cover for all of them. As good as Henderson has been, I don't think he would be able to do that role.

Yeah I agree in the current set up where it’s one guy covering the middle of the park, Clark is probably the better option. Henderson a better option when we can have Low buzzing about midfield again.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT 

Congratulations to Michael McKenna on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 1-1 draw with Queen of the South at Gayfield yesterday. Mikey pulled us level with his 11th goal of the season as he continues his wonderful form. Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

57163C6D-3F37-4BE5-AAC7-12E1351375A0.jpeg