The Arbroath Thread

Early days, and controversial...., but Scotty Stewart must be one of the names in the frame for POTY.

The engine on that boy is phenomenal.  Playing up against him must be your worst nightmare, he'd be all over you, like a rash.

Early days, and controversial...., but Scotty Stewart must be one of the names in the frame for POTY.
The engine on that boy is phenomenal.  Playing up against him must be your worst nightmare, he'd be all over you, like a rash.

He has some skill too and a goal threat. What a revelation. I wasn’t very impressed when Dick signed him. I should have known better.

I was happy when we signed Stewart,  I remembered him being their only threat in that game we put 7 past Airdrie.

I like that he keeps things quite simple. Doesn't overdo stepovers or tricks, just attacks the space and does it again and again. When he gets going, not many can catch him. If he could get a bit more consistency with his final ball, I think he'd be able to step up a level.

I was happy when we signed Stewart,  I remembered him being their only threat in that game we put 7 past Airdrie.

I like that he keeps things quite simple. Doesn't overdo stepovers or tricks, just attacks the space and does it again and again. When he gets going, not many can catch him. If he could get a bit more consistency with his final ball, I think he'd be able to step up a level.

Shhh. He’d be a catch for a Premier League club with his pace and power and he’s only 25.

10 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Home tie.

Either someone a league or 2 below us, or  Premier side but not Ross County, Livi or St Mirren.

Can't tell if I'd love Arbroath in the cup or hate it. If it happens, I hope it's away and we can all have a lovely Nouble day. 

It'll possibly be his first appearance in Livi colours if we end up drawing you too :D 

Can't tell if I'd love Arbroath in the cup or hate it. If it happens, I hope it's away and we can all have a lovely Nouble day. 

It'll possibly be his first appearance in Livi colours if we end up drawing you too [emoji3] 

Sorry. We don’t want Livi. We want a little club we can beat or a big club for a big crowd and a chance of giant killing. Just being practical. [emoji3]

2 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Sorry. We don’t want Livi. We want a little club we can beat or a big club for a big crowd and a chance of giant killing. Just being practical. emoji3.png

I absolutely get that, I'd rather Celtic or Rangers away than losing to Motherwell or St Mirren :D The money makes it all a bit easier.

A smaller club we can beat with a good away day is the dream but atm I reckon Arbroath have a chance against us lmao

Was hoping for Banks o' Dee away as I live in Aberdeen, but happy enough with the draw. Absolutely no disrespect intended to Brechin or Darvel, jesus we've had our fair share of cup feck ups in the past, but it should be a comfortable enough win. Hope Brechin can get through the replay, they've had such a shitty time of it for the last few years they deserve a wee bit of success.

Watched most of Brechin v Darvel last night hoping for a Brechin win, also hoping that we didn't get either in the next round. Bad memories of Spartans, Irvine Meadow.  and Elgin back in the '60s when they were a Highland league side.

Then sat and watched the draw and kept waiting and waiting and waiting for Willie Miller to pick us. The swine left us in to the second last ball. So at least it's a home game and hopefully Brechin win the replay. 

Edited by SotesBornalichtie
adiition

19 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Worth remembering that these two teams are 4 or 5 leagues below us so would expect Forfar to be considerably better than them. We should be looking to win at a canter.

Though obviously not impossible. It would take a perfect storm of events for us to lose this game - Brechin/Darvel to have the performance of their season and us to have our worst performance of the season with an added combination of bad finishing, luck/bad luck weather, injuries, suspensions, sending offs, bizarre own goals etc etc. If we play to our standard, even a little below standard, then it should be comfortable enough.

Having said that, we drew against Celtic away and only lost the replay 1-0 in similar circumstances - not comparing us to Celtic obviously but the gap in league placing was similar then. Also, our defeat away to Aberdeen kids this season, shows that if it ain’t your day, it ain’t your day. We should have won that game comfortably by 4 or 5 but a combination of poor finishing, the woodwork (x4), complacency, their keeper playing very well and them scoring their one chance meant we lost.

So, approach this game with a strong team and the right mentality and it should be fine.

Worth remembering that these two teams are 4 or 5 leagues below us so would expect Forfar to be considerably better than them. We should be looking to win at a canter.
You can't just turn up to win a game but if we show the same attitude and professionalism as we did against Forfar we should get the job done. Great chance to progress and get a big game in the next round.