The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He’s slow but not lazy. He doesn’t really do too much all round, but he was effective for us. Good target to play up to, won second balls off him and he scored most chances he got.

He's looked really lazy with us. Whenever a ball goes past him he huffs and has to think if he's going to chase it. We've been using him as a target man and he's really struggled. Just doesn't work hard enough at all

9 hours ago, ATLIS said:

He's looked really lazy with us. Whenever a ball goes past him he huffs and has to think if he's going to chase it. We've been using him as a target man and he's really struggled. Just doesn't work hard enough at all

I'm fairly certain he played in exactly the same way at Gayfield - it's just in his entire time with us no-one was able to properly watch games, just the streams, which means no Arbroath fan can really comment on his movement/ work-rate etc. as we only saw him through pixels when the ball was within 10 yards of him as opposed to actually see the full thing.

I'm fairly confident if we had Jack Hamilton back at Gayfield, and fans are still fully attending games in person, he'd be viewed a lot differently than he was before.

I'm fairly certain he played in exactly the same way at Gayfield - it's just in his entire time with us no-one was able to properly watch games, just the streams, which means no Arbroath fan can really comment on his movement/ work-rate etc. as we only saw him through pixels when the ball was within 10 yards of him as opposed to actually see the full thing.
I'm fairly confident if we had Jack Hamilton back at Gayfield, and fans are still fully attending games in person, he'd be viewed a lot differently than he was before.

I agree his body language and work rate are not the best but 8 goals in 14 games buys a lot of tolerance. I’d have thought Livi would have coached him to improve the those aspects this season but it seems not.

On 11/12/2021 at 22:16, Tattie36 said:

Slightly contoversial question but will Nicky Low get back into this team? Took a while to adjust to him being missing but we're flying at the moment.

We've scored 14 goals in the league since his injury.

4 have come from open play.

I think that's why he'll come back as soon as he's fit.

Ian Stirling and Tom Cargill were the Ricky Little and TOB of the best Arbroath team I’d seen until this one. I saw Colin Stein make his debut for Rangers at Gayfield against Ian Stirling. He scored a hat trick but fouled Stirling for every goal - at least to my maroon eyes.

It’s great aye but it’s about time. Gayfield is a great place to watch football. Good to see town finally realising that and getting behind the team, the good results help of course but Gayfield definitely somewhere you get the bug for. Very encouraging seeing all the bairns and younger fans on the terracing decked out in their gear. Fans for life 

33 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s great aye but it’s about time. Gayfield is a great place to watch football. Good to see town finally realising that and getting behind the team, the good results help of course but Gayfield definitely somewhere you get the bug for. Very encouraging seeing all the bairns and younger fans on the terracing decked out in their gear. Fans for life 

You guys did always have some of the bigger crowds of the part time teams from memory but it's great to see the growing fan base you've attracted recently. You're right, Gayfield is a magic place to watch football. The more young supporters we have going to their local clubs, instead of choosing the old firm or English football, the better. 

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

We are the best club in Scotland just now,

Part time club there is no doubt I just hope we can keep the performances on the pitch up. Probably going to need about 54 points to get into the promotion play offs. Over 19 games that’s only 23 points. Definitely manageable

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Part time club there is no doubt I just hope we can keep the performances on the pitch up. Probably going to need about 54 points to get into the promotion play offs. Over 19 games that’s only 23 points. Definitely manageable

Is it bad for me to say, that I would be disappointed if we don't make the play offs

On 13/12/2021 at 22:06, DUAFC said:

Really saddened to read about Ian Stirling.  That was the first Arbroath team I remember.  Just remember him as a big, uncompromising leader of a man with a fair bit of skill. RIP Big Stirry.

Another from one of the teams from my younger days passing. A fine centre half and captain and known  and respected throughout the town and county. 

Condolences to his family.

Posting about Ian Stirling's passing set me thinking about other teams of my youth and one got stuck in my head for some reason and I can't think why. Does anyone else remember this team? Probably from late 1950s early 1960s.

Bobby Williamson

Tom McLevy   Jake Young (capt)

John Brown   Jim Fraser    Alec Wright

Gibby Sheriffs   Charlie Dunn   Dave Easson   Derek Grierson   Tommy Quinn.

I don't remember Derek Grierson being with us very long. Think Tommy Quinn stayed a little longer.