The Arbroath Thread

3 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Fosu was Shite at L1, didn’t get a game after Robertson got booted. It just seems to me that Arbroath has lost the plot and are looking at an obscure market none of us is familiar with. I think it’s push that you are finding it hard to recruit from the PT market you just aren’t bothering to.

You are probably correct but we were supposed to have learnt from last years mistakes….. I would and I say this without exaggerating - rather have any other part time striker in League 1 than this chap - not going to say every single striker in L2 because there are some poor players down there but I would genuinely rather see us sign someone who’d been half decent last year in L2 instead. 

Yes we cannot have all the best part time strikers but we should be in a position to have 3 of the better (top half) part time strikers in Scotland at the club. There can be no debating that with the resources we have available 

Looking like Leighton MIntosh will be the first choice striker with the new signing needing to prove himself if he wants to break into the starting 11.

Either way, we still need another proven Championship level striker - we will need one for injuries, suspensions, loss of form and more choices up front.

Suspect we will be looking to bring in loan players (including a striker) - but could be mid August before this happens.

4 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Nobody has even mentioned we’ve allowed this lad to choose shirt number 62, an absolute disgrace!

Says it’s because it’s the postcode of Dersim in Turkey, where his dad is from. Also an ambition of his to visit there and he’s never been, however the man is 27 years old and has managed to make his way to Weston Super-Mare and the fkn Abbeygate

46 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Fosu was Shite at L1, didn’t get a game after Robertson got booted. It just seems to me that Arbroath has lost the plot and are looking at an obscure market none of us is familiar with. I think it’s pish that you are finding it hard to recruit from the PT market you just aren’t bothering to.

Absolutely this ⚽🇱🇻🔥

40 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You are probably correct but we were supposed to have learnt from last years mistakes….. I would and I say this without exaggerating - rather have any other part time striker in League 1 than this chap - not going to say every single striker in L2 because there are some poor players down there but I would genuinely rather see us sign someone who’d been half decent last year in L2 instead. 

Yes we cannot have all the best part time strikers but we should be in a position to have 3 of the better (top half) part time strikers in Scotland at the club. There can be no debating that with the resources we have available 

Dale Carrick for example 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Ticks all the boxes, Stirling need the money so why not test their resolve with a bid, We were happy to take Forfar & East Fifes best player so why not do the same for the positions we are desperately looking to fill. 

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

Apologies if this has been answered.

As the best part time club, with what I assume is reasonable finances, what’s stopping you signing the best part time players from Scotland/lowest full time wage players from Scotland?

The management team 

12 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Dale Carrick for example 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Ticks all the boxes, Stirling need the money so why not test their resolve with a bid, We were happy to take Forfar & East Fifes best player so why not do the same for the positions we are desperately looking to fill. 

It must not occur to you that people like Dale Carrick might just be happy where they are?Much like TOB, McKenna etc could probably have moved on to bigger/higher placed clubs but haven't because the circumstances suit them here. Personally as a player I wouldn't think coming into a certain relegation battle is that appealing either, plus the added travel for someone like Carrick.

15 minutes ago, Trump said:

As the best part time club, with what I assume is reasonable finances, what’s stopping you signing the best part time players from Scotland/lowest full time wage players from Scotland?

Financially in an incredible position

The answer to your question is Dick Campbell 

We never used to be like this, Nouble signing was a blessing and a curse because ever since we have kept on signing these random made up footballers in what is seemingly the hope that we will strike gold

Also seem to be hell bent on having guys living in the town, training a couple of days here and with us at night in some kind of hybrid set up - I’m not sure why. Seen zero benefit of it aside from Oakley (who was on loan from Birmingham)

The fact we’ve signed one gives me the absolute fear that we’re about to assemble a wee group of useless cyants exactly the same so they can train and live together 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

If you cannot figure out why people are less likely to give these sort of punts a chance now than they were last summer then you are beyond help.

I had massive concerns about the management, but apparently we're all supposed to blindly trust them.  So these signings are all on the management, who was overwhelmingly backed on here at the end of last season.   So this is who they have signed.

Now he's here, lets see if he's any good first before we scrapheap him though, eh?  It'll probably follow the pattern where we bring him on for 5 minutes, never give him a chance to show what he can do, and then release him in january.  

17 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

You’d expect we have explored that option and it’s a no go or dick doesn’t think he’s good enough like others in Scotland 

14 minutes ago, Trump said:

We’ve signed 5 players from part time

clubs in Scotland already and I’d expect another couple so nothing stopping us. Hopefully this guy is the only left field punt

Edited by Smokerson

Just now, Smokerson said:

We’ve signed 5 players Tom part time

clubs in Scotland already and I’d expect another couple so nothing stopping us. Hopefully this guy is the only left field punt

I will be very happy if so - one is fine - hopefully don’t assemble a wee group of them though 

Just now, SmokeyJoe said:

You’d expect we have explored that option and it’s a no go or dick doesn’t think he’s good enough like others in Scotland 

If we haven't offered to double his wages, and pay a transfer fee, then as a club, we have been unforgivably neglectful.

13 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If we haven't offered to double his wages, and pay a transfer fee, then as a club, we have been unforgivably neglectful.

You know how much he’s on? Could already be on a lot of money and very happy 

There’ll be players we can’t get because they’re in great personal situations or have close pals at clubs etc but in general we should be able to have 2/3 of the better part time strikers in the country at the club - I’m talking 2/3 of the say top 20. We’ve definitely got 1 with McIntosh but big Turan looks nowhere near it like others before him. Fosu by far the best of the bunch and sounds like he even stunk up the gaff at Peterhead 

21 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

You know how much he’s on? Could already be on a lot of money and very happy 

We could pay more than Stirling.  If we want the best, we need to pay.  But aye, he might well be happy where he is.  All the same though, I'd hope that we as a club at least ask (ed) the question.

Like carrick, I’d hope we have enquired about callum gallagher for airdrie. I believe he is part time there and has been banging them in on a regular basis. Im guessing he is happy being glasgow based and now that they’re in the same division it’s extremely unlikely he’d come to us now.

A few positives in an article about the guy from 2 years ago - funnily enough the manager in this thought he could fill in for a certain injured player called Kevin Van Veen - 

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/scunthorpe-united-kenan-dnnwald-turan-4481067?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

So clutching at straws the guy must have something. I have gotten all my vented frustration out (at Dick and Pink by the way not at the chap himself) and will judge him on a game by game basis going forward