The Arbroath Thread

Really need a win today - no excuses.

Yes, we are short of a left back and defensive midfielder - but the management team have had weeks to sort out a suitable formation until the new signings arrive ( which surely must be soon).

Our best game so far was against Dundee in the friendly, if we can produce that type of form absolutely no reason we can't win.

Over to DC now to select a team of winners.

Just now, clashcityrocker said:

Really need a win today - no excuses.

Yes, we are short of a left back and defensive midfielder - but the management team have had weeks to sort out a suitable formation until the new signings arrive ( which surely must be soon).

Our best game so far was against Dundee in the friendly, if we can produce that type of form absolutely no reason we can't win.

Over to DC now to select a team of winners.

Our best performance was against Montrose 

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Noticed an Aberdeen fan mention that they had been to a Q and A with Neil Simpson and they said they encouraged their loan players not to come to Arbroath as they’d prefer their players to go to teams who play football on the deck

This is concerning if true - but should also be noted that Arbroath have also helped develop a lot of loan players - Ben Williamson and Joel Nouble being two very good examples of players who flourished.

Last season when Marcel Oakley left mid season to join Queens Park was odd - in hindsight, either the player or the youth coach at Birmingham might have had reservations, the real reasons for leaving were never explained.

Either way, Arbroath need to make Gayfield an attractive proposition to loan players and their coaches, who will be looking to develop the players.

42 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m hopeful that the management team have studied last week and will set up to beat it. I feel we need to press the ball a lot more. Get in their faces. I’m sure the QP goalie is only 16 so we need to get shots at him early, rough him up a bit at corners. 

16!1 That is really young for a goalie to be playing in the championship . Definitely need to be putting pressure on him and see how he copes.

42 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

This is concerning if true - but should also be noted that Arbroath have also helped develop a lot of loan players - Ben Williamson and Joel Nouble being two very good examples of players who flourished.

Last season when Marcel Oakley left mid season to join Queens Park was odd - in hindsight, either the player or the youth coach at Birmingham might have had reservations, the real reasons for leaving were never explained.

Either way, Arbroath need to make Gayfield an attractive proposition to loan players and their coaches, who will be looking to develop the players.

I got the feeling we we’re looking beyond loanees, and looking at signed players only, but it appears we have had such a chaotic window, we are now looking at loans again

2 hours ago, The Johnny G Experience said:

For goodness sake leave the League cup and challenge cups alone, you know someone at the sfa might read this. If they do they'll decide they need to add more arms and legs and extra clubs from down the back of the sofa!

Are they no SPFL comps

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Need our attacking flare players playing in the team. Would get Stowe and Hylton in from the start. 

This is all well and good, but this doesn’t solve the defensive frailties or the cluster***k, that is our central midfield 

27 minutes ago, ecto said:

I got the feeling we we’re looking beyond loanees, and looking at signed players only, but it appears we have had such a chaotic window, we are now looking at loans again

Are they no SPFL comps

Think it’s been a good window on the whole and I think the plan was not to be relying on loan players which I don’t think we are, obviously missing out on Kieran MacDonald means safest bet would be a loan in there and I think the plan was to just go with the central midfielders we had but it’s been obvious since Cowdenbeath that we have no player in there that can sit and shield the back 4. 

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think it’s been a good window on the whole and I think the plan was not to be relying on loan players which I don’t think we are, obviously missing out on Kieran MacDonald means safest bet would be a loan in there and I think the plan was to just go with the central midfielders we had but it’s been obvious since Cowdenbeath that we have no player in there that can sit and shield the back 4. 

When a mediocre Lowland League side, pass the ball through you’re midfield, they’re may be an issue 

Spent a fair amount of time on the Arbroath Archive this week, what an absolutely incredible resource and an even more unbelievable amount of time that must have taken, well done @SimonLichtie.

Decent list of quality players that have played for both of us, and an even bigger list of dross!

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

Nouble came to us to get up to speed with the game in Scotland he’s 27😂

oakley would of been recalled cause we were dugshite and QP being interested were much better than us and better spell for oakley to push on. 

Actually thought we deserved something from that and played pretty well, looked like a team, got stuck into tackles, got up the park and got balls into the box - they’re a good team and we could’ve easily won that on another day 

Actually come away from that with plenty of positives

Gold man of the match. McKenna brilliant till he had to go off and McIntosh caused loads of problems 

I agree the good feeling and momentum of 18 months ago has completely disappeared and self belief is a huge factor in any league. Personally I'm trying to be purely analytical here, it was a dire first three games and entirely likely all three would be lost...which they have. My feeling is the next month will decide dicks fate with technically easier fixtures, if we are tailed off come end September then frankly he may as well be car parked.