The Arbroath Thread

Regardless if we get relegated or not, i believe a change was needed.

Behind the scenes things were becoming increasingly more hostile. Have heard some players were looking to leave as they no longer wanted to play under Dick. Seen that happen the start of last season. 

A new manager and coaching team in could either give the players a bounce or it could go all wrong.

But thats football for you. Still plenty of games left in the season to find our feet and if we are down a league next season we will have the finances and players to be competitive.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Best manager we have ever had in my opinion - although I’m only 31 years old so maybe that’s naive - he will be the most iconic manager of my lifetime that’s for sure. The first day he was in charge I remember he was in the clubs bar in the ground having a pint 20 minutes before kick off talking to all the fans. It was such a refreshing thing after we’d had Todd Lumsden who was an absolute dork and the complete opposite. Dick ended up in Devitos on several occasions too, before he got the job he had a speaking event in the town exactly one week before which I attended. Couldn’t believe my eyes when I seen him standing at the side of the dance floor with a pint of Tennents in hand. 

An absolute hero of a guy whose character was massive and a breath of fresh air. I’m not exaggerating when I say I have noticed that draining out of him over the last year. The jobs taken its toll on him and he’s been scrambling about trying to recover for a long time. That character was one of his two main strengths at one point along with his recruitment, I touched on the recruitment earlier in the thread.

Without them he and us as a club were finding it a struggle and the sad reality of football is that things need freshened up. 

It’s debatable but Bert Henderson was probably better for longer.  And what a contrast in characters. Bert was a quiet gentleman happy to avoid the limelight. Dick not so much. 🙂

1 hour ago, TheRoundO said:

It’s debatable but Bert Henderson was probably better for longer.  And what a contrast in characters. Bert was a quiet gentleman happy to avoid the limelight. Dick not so much. 🙂

I have been fortunate enough to see both Albert and Dick in their time as great managers of Arbroath. Different men for different times. It’s unfair to compare.

Dick has been incredibly engaged with the fans and always been approachable. He certainly shouldn’t have been subjected to the abuse that has reliably been reported.

Was busy all weekend and still seems surreal that he's no longer in charge. At the moment I think the last season and a half are still very fresh in our memories, but as time passes the seasons before that will live longer in the memory, and rightly so. Pretty lucky in that dicks reign has coincided with me and my mates all being early 20s and being able to spunk all our money following Arbroath around the country, making some incredible memories along the way. Not sure how, but I hope there is some way our appreciation is able to be shown to him. Love him or loath him, there's no denying that dick absolutely was one of a kind, and the last of a dying breed of football managers. To him, Pink and Youngy thanks very much for the memories.

8 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

So.

Who would we want or think might be in the running for the job?

I think there’ll be a whole load of applicants - some you’d expect and then some left field wild cards. 

Said on other thread Stewart Petrie would be the safe option but I’m not sure he’d want to right now and I think he will be available further down the line anyway. 

I would like someone with good contacts - whether with Premiership clubs or players doing the circuits, someone with a more modern approach to football - even if it is only a few years.

That for me would be Kevin Thomson. He would instantly demand respect too due to the career he had as a football player, also think he comes across as a nice guy who players would like. He needs to get back in if he’s any aspirations of going further up the food chain. He turned down the Raith Rovers job I believe and regrets it and has come close to getting the Kilmarnock and Dundee jobs. Doing well with us would put him back into they conversations. 

Of course I’d be happy with anyone who fit the bill of the above - the remit simply has to be being the best part time club or one of, in the country - whether that is in L1 or the Championship I do not care. With the budget and backing we have as a club that should be realistic and achievable.

17 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

So.

Who would we want or think might be in the running for the job?

Petrie for me.

Davidson obviously has a good track record but if he turned down Dundee in the summer, there’s probably a 0% chance of him coming to us. Not sure I would want him anyway though as by all accounts he’s dour as f**k and so is his football - the last thing we need after the past 18 months.

If not Petrie then someone young who likes attacking, exciting football. Do they even exist? Thomson?

Edited by Tattie36

Thomson with Linn/Swankie part of the coaching team?

Sounds harsh but Malcolm or sellers can't be part of the coaching set up for me,

Davidson be a bit negative for me, Petrie seems happy at montrose and don't think he would come at this point,

Would just like someone who the fans can get behind and give us a better brand of football, hopefully they are in for January so they have the opportunity to make changes,

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think there’ll be a whole load of applicants - some you’d expect and then some left field wild cards. 

Said on other thread Stewart Petrie would be the safe option but I’m not sure he’d want to right now and I think he will be available further down the line anyway. 

I would like someone with good contacts - whether with Premiership clubs or players doing the circuits, someone with a more modern approach to football - even if it is only a few years.

That for me would be Kevin Thomson. He would instantly demand respect too due to the career he had as a football player, also think he comes across as a nice guy who players would like. He needs to get back in if he’s any aspirations of going further up the food chain. He turned down the Raith Rovers job I believe and regrets it and has come close to getting the Kilmarnock and Dundee jobs. Doing well with us would put him back into they conversations. 

Of course I’d be happy with anyone who fit the bill of the above - the remit simply has to be being the best part time club or one of, in the country - whether that is in L1 or the Championship I do not care. With the budget and backing we have as a club that should be realistic and achievable.

From what I hear from Kelty pals who are fans stay away- the boy does not lack humility - that’s fine  but needs to be earned from a managers perspective- overall underwhelming at Kelty.

Getting a PT manager not easy though .

12 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

From what I hear from Kelty pals who are fans stay away- the boy does not lack humility - that’s fine  but needs to be earned from a managers perspective- overall underwhelming at Kelty.

Getting a PT manager not easy though .

You can see why though, and I’m not sure that attitude would rub players up the wrong way in the same way it would rub some fans up the wrong way.

If Kevin Thomson walks into a changing room he will get instant respect due to what he’s achieved in the game himself. Can kind of get away with it, everyone seems to speak highly of him as a guy too.

As for the Kelty record - understand they would’ve had a good budget (but so will we) - but he had a record of 

Games - 46

Won - 28

Drew - 12 

Lost - 6

Cannot really argue too much with that and it does not seem underwhelming 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Billy Dodds will be a contender - knows all about the championship and has the experience.

His final season at Inverness ended badly, but the same eventually happens to most managers.

Would throw his name into the hat - he has the contacts, coaching skills and played at the highest level in Scotland.

But would keep an open mind as I think we will get a lot of very good applicants- great opportunity for the right person.

I get why Petrie is favourable and possibly a safe choice. My only concerns are:

Can he make the next step up?

Are we, as fans, relying too much on what we remember of him, having a big influence on previous success under Sheerin.

Has anyone seen enough of the kind of football that Montrose play? I've watched some recent highlights but it's hard to judge going by them.

Is it best to go for someone whose had championship management experience or take a chance on someone else, to see how they get on or with the worst case scenario that they are good enough at league 1 level if we fail to survive.

The main thing now, is for the board to not rush things and take enough time to bring in the right candidate for the club.

5 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I get why Petrie is favourable and possibly a safe choice. My only concerns are:

Can he make the next step up?

Are we, as fans, relying too much on what we remember of him, having a big influence on previous success under Sheerin.

Has anyone seen enough of the kind of football that Montrose play? I've watched some recent highlights but it's hard to judge going by them.

Is it best to go for someone whose had championship management experience or take a chance on someone else, to see how they get on or with the worst case scenario that they are good enough at league 1 level if we fail to survive.

The main thing now, is for the board to not rush things and take enough time to bring in the right candidate for the club.

In regards to the step up I’m not sure there will be much difference at all between how Montrose operate as a football club and how we do - it is 2 nights training with what I imagine an extremely similar back room staff and good part time football players. 

Would imagine it would be a bit more taxing in the Championship due to having better prepared opponents but other than that I’m not sure there is too much difference.