The Arbroath Thread

Just now, mo83 said:

Not really no....The statement said he stepped down?and to me that reads it was his choice and not the board.

See that all the time now though. It’s the polite way to announce it - could feel it coming a mile off however I actually expected them to wait until we’d been beat off Dunfermline and Ayr this week. 

Can’t have results that we’ve had and the scenes at the end of the games like we have had at TNS and again at the weekend - when that happens it’s too far gone to salvage.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

See that all the time now though. It’s the polite way to announce it - could feel it coming a mile off however I actually expected them to wait until we’d been beat off Dunfermline and Ayr this week. 

Can’t have results that we’ve had and the scenes at the end of the games like we have had at TNS and again at the weekend - when that happens it’s too far gone to salvage.

From what Iv heard he walked into the changing room and told the players he was away. There were a few tears shed. 

Was speaking to someone very close to Dick Campbell but not to the club this morning. DC is blaming his senior players for letting him down this season, "some have been at the club for ten years"

Hopefully those senior players will step up tonight. I'm not too keen on the interim team, but we will attract a better calibre of candidate the further out of the doo doo we are. Cannot say I'm looking forward to the game, Dunfermline are rank rotten at the moment. But there have been some great win and goals, Cook from the byeline, at East End over the years and hope for one more of the same!

I am a bit perplexed about this "not keen on the interim team" , what were we supposed to do? let the players run the team for 3 weeks? Malcolm has been a manager at a few clubs and has been around the club for the past month, makes perfect sense to let him run with it until we advertise, interview and select a manager (a process which should take a few weeks if done properly)

The fact that we have advertised it would say we don't have a man in mind, I don't think Kevin Thomson would go for it, comes across like a fud who just touts himself for any job under the sun and greets when he doesn't get it, not the guy for us. I have a feeling we might be underwhelmed with the appointment, I can see a Jim McIntyre or an Allan Johnston type, I hope I am wrong.

30 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

From what Iv heard he walked into the changing room and told the players he was away. There were a few tears shed. 

I could see that emotions running high and basically the end of an era.I wouldn't be surprised if he rocks up at LP tonight to take in our game v Falkirk 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If Kevin Thomson walks into a changing room he will get instant respect due to what he’s achieved in the game himself. Can kind of get away with it, everyone seems to speak highly of him as a guy too.

The problem is that that instant respect only lasts an instant. Couple of weeks working under the guy and you don't really care what he achieved in the game if you think he's an arse, or don't like his style, or you're not winning games. Did the Clyde players really respect Barry Ferguson, despite his playing career? There doesn't seem to be much correlation between success as a l player and success as a manager, so I'd be worried if the main argument for Thomson is that he was a good player.

His record with Kelty wasn't too dissimilar to the aforementioned Ferguson, who is widely regarded as a failure of a manager.

His attitude towards other jobs which have come up whilst he's been unemployed as a manager indicate he's got a very high opinion of himself, which I suppose has some benefits, but would overall be a negative for me.

I think Arbroath could do better. But anyway, don't listen to me, listen to whatever the Kelty fans have to say.

31 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

The problem is that that instant respect only lasts an instant. Couple of weeks working under the guy and you don't really care what he achieved in the game if you think he's an arse, or don't like his style, or you're not winning games. Did the Clyde players really respect Barry Ferguson, despite his playing career? There doesn't seem to be much correlation between success as a l player and success as a manager, so I'd be worried if the main argument for Thomson is that he was a good player.

His record with Kelty wasn't too dissimilar to the aforementioned Ferguson, who is widely regarded as a failure of a manager.

His attitude towards other jobs which have come up whilst he's been unemployed as a manager indicate he's got a very high opinion of himself, which I suppose has some benefits, but would overall be a negative for me.

I think Arbroath could do better. But anyway, don't listen to me, listen to whatever the Kelty fans have to say.

You raise some very good points.

However to me I thought Barry Ferguson always come across as a wee Ned. I really enjoy listening to Kevin Thomson and think he comes across excellent. 

Although I can absolutely see why people think he’s over confident - a pro or con depending on everyone’s individual opinion. 

2 hours ago, Godlovessmokedhaddock said:

Was speaking to someone very close to Dick Campbell but not to the club this morning. DC is blaming his senior players for letting him down this season, "some have been at the club for ten years"

Hopefully those senior players will step up tonight. I'm not too keen on the interim team, but we will attract a better calibre of candidate the further out of the doo doo we are. Cannot say I'm looking forward to the game, Dunfermline are rank rotten at the moment. But there have been some great win and goals, Cook from the byeline, at East End over the years and hope for one more of the same!

Steady. We might have got emptied by our dear Fife neighbours on Friday night but I wouldn't say we're "rank rotten at the moment". The week before the Raith game we drew 1-1 with on form Inverness, hitting the woodwork eight times - on another day that's a pasting. The week prior we deserved a point from Dundee Utd, only conceding a late winner and the week before that we won at Cappielow. We were dog sh*t on Friday but we've been doing okay lately, just lacking a bit of something in front of goal.

Of the names mentioned so far I will share my thoughts. Dont all throw bricks at me!

1. Kevin Thomson - Managed Kelty Hearts for 1 season, with a very strong squad, won League 2. Then jacked it in when it looked like the money was about to dry up -

I can see him applying as a way to get back into the picture for a bigger role but lacks managerial experience at this level so a big risk for both parties involved. Fails here and big jobs might be out of reach for good. Does well and he will be touting himself for a bigger job in no time. - Risky option

2.  Billy Dodds - Has coached/managed for quite a number of years now. Despite his experience I dont see him applying. At 54 and only 1 true managerial role to date I doubt he will be making the jump up to a bigger club in the future. Up until 2021 he had not taken on the challenge of managing Part time team. Only been out of work 2 months so might not be keen to jump back in - Highly doubtful

3. Jim McIntyre - Managerial record is a mixed bag. From winning the Championship with Dunfermline in 2011 to being sacked the year after. Doing ok at QotS to then taking over at Ross County and winning the League Cup in 2016 to then being sacked a year later, followed by a torrid times at Dundee and Cove. - Now I can see him applying. But has he learned from his mistakes from his last 2 jobs. Has experience at this level and above. - Maybe

4. Stewart Petrie - Fan favourite from his time with Sheerin. Arguably he won the league as much as Sheerin did with the manager on the pitch most games. Has done a great job at Montrose but has probably done as much as he can with a small club like that. Would he be willing to move a bigger club in a tougher league. time will tell. Has good experience of management of a league just below ours so should find it easier than others to step up. - Can see the club making an approach - probably the front runner

5. Allan Johnston - an experienced manager at this level. After almost 10 years of continual management he left his last role over a year ago. Could see him looking to get back into management. Had a a poor run at QotS in his 3rd season. Did ok the previous 2 seasons. - Not the worst appointment

A side from Petrie, the only other name that's been mentioned to me that I found interesting was Andy Webster....

In all honesty, every other name on this thread or mentioned elsewhere doesn't really interest me or I don't think would ever happen..... I'm really hoping we get some applications from people of a good standard that no-one has yet mentioned.

Billy Dodds, Jim McIntyre and suchlike are absolutely no's for me, and likewise I don't want some ex old firm player who thinks he's the bollocks to swan into the hotseat.

As I say, I hope some other names come to the fore in the next few weeks, as the vast majority of options don't excite me whatsoever.

19 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

A side from Petrie, the only other name that's been mentioned to me that I found interesting was Andy Webster....

In all honesty, every other name on this thread or mentioned elsewhere doesn't really interest me or I don't think would ever happen..... I'm really hoping we get some applications from people of a good standard that no-one has yet mentioned.

Billy Dodds, Jim McIntyre and suchlike are absolutely no's for me, and likewise I don't want some ex old firm player who thinks he's the bollocks to swan into the hotseat.

As I say, I hope some other names come to the fore in the next few weeks, as the vast majority of options don't excite me whatsoever.

I’m on the same page - out of all the names mentioned, Petrie is the only one I would like.

I think it would be a great fit for him and us. He’s probably taken Mo as far as he can - move along the road, stay part-time, a bigger challenge, get a larger budget and even if things don’t work out he would have a large queue of other part-time clubs willing to give him a job.

37 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Dont all throw bricks at me!

Good summary of some of the options - enjoying reading all the posts on this matter.

I also think there will be a few surprises of applicants putting their name forward and would imagine John Hughes will be one of them.

A tough job for the board - get the right appointment and the squad of players could click - get the wrong man and it could be back to Div 1.

11 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Good summary of some of the options - enjoying reading all the posts on this matter.

I also think there will be a few surprises of applicants putting their name forward and would imagine John Hughes will be one of them.

A tough job for the board - get the right appointment and the squad of players could click - get the wrong man and it could be back to Div 1.

Billy Dodds and John Hughes. You seem to think you know who’s applying. 

In fairness, I believe Yogi is sitting in his car with a stack of cv printouts at all times.  Some say that the last thing many a sacked manager sees is John Hughes shoulder barging past to hand his cv in.

Petrie is still the obvious one for me.

I'd be willing to see if Kevin Thomson is interested, primarily because he has part time experience.

I would also be happy with Darren Young.  He went into an unhappy club and got them playing, and he also had them performing better than the sum of their parts.  Thats a mediocre league 2 defence that he won the league with.  He also had them playing reasonably good football, and Stirling aren't that dissimilar a club in stature to us (although way behind off the pitch).  I think he'd welcome a move, given he's got a tough gig with his promoted team.