The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Wee bit of caveat to that in that they were picking up players they couldn't afford before it all came tumbling down a few seasons later... 

This is factually incorrect.

The damage was done in the late noughties so he was working a shoe string. Hence why we were so uncompetitive in the premiership. We didn't go into admin because McIntyre was buying Paul Burns from QotS and Paddy Boyle from Partick on free transfers for a premiership campaign. It was also the following season after he was sacked that we went into admin, not a "few seasons".

21 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Was he that bad at Cove? Yes you had some scuddings towards the end of his management but how much of that was down to him probably knowing that Hartley was coming back?

I suspect that a combination of Cove not winning most weeks, as they had become accustomed to since being in the league, and the prospect of the return of the hairy messiah tainted the fans view more than a touch.

The Cove I saw, in person and on TV, with McIntyre as manager was light years ahead of the Cove that got relegated.

It’s Watson Nimrod. Best ignored. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think it’s a fairly solid appointment. We should’ve went for him when we appointed Kerr after McCall left and again when we appointed Hopkin as he was apparently close to the Ayr job both times. I thought he was treated harshly by Cove and they became so much worse when Hartley returned. 

It’ll be interesting to see how the relegation battle plays out. Both yourselves and Caley have played the sacking the manager card and it’s highly unlikely either team will play it again. Seems to have worked so far for them so you might also get a lift from it. Will wait and see when/if Morton, Queens Park and ourselves decide to throw the dice in that regard and how that affects things. 

We didn’t sack Dick Campbell. He resigned.

49 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Wow, didn’t seen that coming.

He was awful for us (Cove), didn’t have confidence in our HL players who were clearly better than the ones he brought in and managed to destroy any spirit we had in the dressing room from the promotion up to the Championship by getting rid of of 20 goal a season striker over a petty squabble then the team fell apart. The only plus side is that he picked up a few decent loaners but whether that was by luck or judgement I’ve no idea. 

Good luck staying up, he wasn’t totally to blame for us going down last season but if he hadn’t fallen out with most of the players before he had to be got rid of I think we would have stayed up. 

Well am not surprised in the least

Happy enough with that given the likely options the board had. I think a bit of backing in the transfer market and a more positive style of play could do a lot to reenergise the squad. We’ve got a lot of good players and it’s time someone put them together properly.

He was an absolute poison to our club. Ignore the results side of things of which he's our worst ever permanent manager (Mark McGhee wasn't permanent) but he created an extremely toxic environment.

He made volunteers that have helped the club out for years want to pack it in, he turned the squad against each other, he brought in a raft of players totally unsuited for the job at hand and he alienated staff st the club. McPake puts a lot of credit in learning from Hartley and McCann yet never gives any mention of McIntyre which is telling. 

Just to emphasise what a weird guy he is, he relegated us, refuses to take any blame, tries indeed to blame the previous manager which results in a huge public spat and then comes out at Tannadice with a United scarf draped around him on the opening day of the following season celebrating.

He's just an absolute arsepiece of a man nevermind a terrible, terrible manager.

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

Can't imagine there will be many changes between now and the new year - new coaching style , man management  and maybe a little tweak with formations, until he gets to know the players better.

Hopefully the players will get the new manger bounce vibe and rediscover their form.

Well, we are into the Christmas season...

2 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

It’s Watson Nimrod. Best ignored. 

Nice passive aggressive compliment 👍.

I gave him a chance when he joined but he tore my club apart in the dressing room within a few months. Part time players who had been given a certain freedom and were happy ended up being sidelined over a petty feud. You being so informed you will know all about that. 

I genuinely hope it works out for my Arbroath supporting colleagues but that guy is out of touch and out of his depth. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

3 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Nice passive aggressive compliment 👍.

I gave him a chance when he joined but he tore my club apart in the dressing room within a few months. Part time players who had been given a certain freedom and were happy ended up being sidelined over a petty feud. You being so informed you will know all about that. 

I genuinely hope it works out for my Arbroath supporting colleagues but that guy is out of touch and out of his depth. 

Good points tally then for him managing a part time group of players who for many was their first ever foray into the championship considering he ‘tore the club apart in the dressing room’ - even gaining some of Cove as a clubs best ever results (surely beating Dundee in the league ranks as one) 

Sounds like you were just a massive Rory fanboy to be completely honest 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

of the great cove players McIntyre allegedly pissed off,  where are they?   Anyone playing championship? Anyone even at the top of league 1?

Take the known entity in McCalister.

Went to Montrose, did f**k all and has been let go to go play league 2.  I think any idea he was going to score 20 in the championship is mad, even in his peak that would have been very difficult.