The Arbroath Thread

6 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Heard big Jim has already got rid of Malcolm and Sellars pretty poor from AFC if you ask me.Can see this becoming a bit of car crash to be honest if McIntyre doesn't hit the ground running.

First thing my mates said in the WhatsApp chat (all AFC fans) was that they hoped it was a clean slate and he got rid of Malcolm and Sellars.

Sellars is a club great I loved him as a player and if he is to be involved in some capacity at the club I’d be more than happy with it but he was only involved because Dick Campbell could not do the recruitment anymore because he had made such a mess of it. Sellars also partly behind the whole farce with all they trialists in pre season…. Malcolm was Dick Campbells man why would he stay?

I am more than happy to leave the recruitment down to the manager. Which should always be the case and it only ever wasn’t the case cause Dick had made such a mess of it. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

First thing my mates said in the WhatsApp chat (all AFC fans) was that they hoped it was a clean slate and he got rid of Malcolm and Sellars.

Sellars is a club great I loved him as a player and if he is to be involved in some capacity at the club I’d be ok with it but he was only involved because Dick Campbell could not do the recruitment anymore because he had made such a mess of it. Sellars also partly behind the whole farce with all they trialists in pre season…. Malcolm was Dick Campbells man why would he stay?

I am more than happy to leave the recruitment down to the manager. Which should always be the case and it only ever wasn’t the case cause Dick had made such a mess of it. 

Malcolm turned down offers to help Arbroath so he will pissed off the way it's planned out now, to not even be giving a chance by McIntyre is pretty poor for both of them.Lets just say what I've heard McIntyre has ruffled a few feathers already so let's just see how this goes time will tell but I can't see this going well I really can't.

Regarding recruitment DC would have had the final say not Sellars I would have thought.Not sure the whole process about bringing players in but in my opinion BS and SM have been pretty harshly treated and the players will no that too.

5 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Malcolm turned down offers to help Arbroath so he will pissed off the way it's planned out now, to not even be giving a chance by McIntyre is pretty poor for both of them.Lets just say what I've heard McIntyre has ruffled a few feathers already so let's just see how this goes time will tell but I can't see this going well I really can't.

Regarding recruitment DC would have had the final say not Sellars I would have thought.Not sure the whole process about bringing players in but in my opinion BS and SM have been pretty harshly treated and the players will no that too.

No offence meant to Stewart Malcolm but I don’t really care one little bit - that’s football and it happens all the time. Why on earth would McIntyre keep him around that seems mental? He was only at Arbroath because of Dick and Dick has now left, he supposed to just hang around like a bad smell? 

And of course Dick would have had the last say but point being Sellars was only there to help Dick with recruitment. He shouldn’t have even needed to be there in the first place. That’s a managers job. I really like Barry Sellars but I have absolutely no issue with it if you are correct.

Look how the recruitments went with Sellars here, squads full of tiny central midfielders and we started the season off with 3 defenders and no left back. Why on earth would McIntyre have any need for that. Dick didn’t have any need for it in his seven years here until October last year (because he’d made such a mess of it in Summer 2022).

You are reading the room wrong if you think the majority of AFC fans will be thinking the way you are.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Quite simple - Malcolm had to go. He was part of the previous regime and his arrival coincided with our catastrophic loss of form. I wouldn’t have minded Sellars staying but perhaps the new manager wants a completely clean slate.

Ruffling a few feathers always happens when a new management team comes in and I don’t mind a big shakeup - it’s definitely what was needed. Can’t really have guys hanging about who may have some kind of loyalty to Campbell and would be happy to see McIntyre fail.

Edited by Tattie36

6 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Quite simple - Malcolm had to go. He was part of the previous regime and his arrival coincided with our catastrophic loss of form. I wouldn’t have minded Sellars staying but perhaps the new manager wants a completely clean slate.

Been employed for about 6weeks!

I thought I would let the dust settle a bit, before posting.  I went down to watch the cup game, at The New Saints.  It was a great effort to see so many Arbroath fans there.  I haven't even been to Oswestry myself and I live up the road.  That Welsh League is a strange one.  The commutable distance for a lot of very good players is short and they take up-and-coming talent from NW English non-league.  Personally,  I think it has diluted local English part-time leagues.  Then again,  I am not Welsh, but neither are loads of the players.

What struck me most was I heard an Arbroath fan telling a steward about the promotion near-achievement and thinking to myself, this hi-viz lad does not fully appreciate what a big deal that was.   It was great to follow and good fun hearing Dick joking with Dion Dublin, on 5 Live.  No cheap houses down here now though, I can tell you.

As someone who supports part-time football, wishing you good luck.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No, snobby because of the comments you made about ‘ooooooh enjoy watching 4-4-2 hoofball!’ 

Grow up 

Haha awfy defensive you's Arbroath lot, chill out man bit of banter. 

16 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I suggest you look at the results immediately prior to him arriving and those after. Not blaming him but his arrival definitely had a negative effect. Imo it was definitely already a sinking ship when he came but his input seemed to hasten the inevitable.

I am not sure Sellars was a Campbell appointment, I believe he was scouting along with Craig Ireland and I cant recall the other name involved, that's how any decent club should be ran. They would be out watching the opposition and trying to identify players to come in, slater, stowe and steele sound like they fitted into the mould of being scouted by this set up. Jury is out on all of those players, again, not sure if Sellars was involved in the mass trialists from Engand and timbuktu in the summer, but we did manage to get Hylton and Bird in who in the main have been pretty good.

It may be that the board have ripped this up or that McIntyre has simply decided he wants to do it all himself. Its just another thing that has changed, time will tell if it works. You would think he will bring in a couple of players he has worked with before in January with the inevitable loans.

30 minutes ago, mo83 said:

What relevance does this have?new manager under no obligations to keep any of the existing staff regardless of how long they've been here. Not as if Malcolm has a glowing coaching record either is it

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How is it defensive, could say the exact same thing back to you 😂

What is your point?

My point is Arbroath position in the table has f**k all to do with Malcolm.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Heard big Jim has already got rid of Malcolm and Sellars pretty poor from AFC if you ask me.Can see this becoming a bit of car crash to be honest if McIntyre doesn't hit the ground running.

Very common for management to bring in their own staff. Dick brought in a big backroom team and others left when he was appointed. Malcolm took the gamble that DC would remain at the club long term and it didn't work out but he would have known the risks when appointed and I'm sure he will have had a contract that will be honoured financially.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

If malcolm had made any impact he would of got an opportunity to stay, he obviously didn't,

31 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I am not sure Sellars was a Campbell appointment, I believe he was scouting along with Craig Ireland and I cant recall the other name involved, that's how any decent club should be ran. They would be out watching the opposition and trying to identify players to come in, slater, stowe and steele sound like they fitted into the mould of being scouted by this set up. Jury is out on all of those players, again, not sure if Sellars was involved in the mass trialists from Engand and timbuktu in the summer, but we did manage to get Hylton and Bird in who in the main have been pretty good.

It may be that the board have ripped this up or that McIntyre has simply decided he wants to do it all himself. Its just another thing that has changed, time will tell if it works. You would think he will bring in a couple of players he has worked with before in January with the inevitable loans.

Brown Ferguson was the 3rd member of the scouting team

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Malcolm getting a coaching role at the club had f**k all to do with Jim McIntyre

What's your point?A poster earlier said (not yourself) Malcolm been piss since he has been at AFC.All I'm trying to.say is that you can't blame Malcolm for that has he was just in the door!

Once all the talking and speculation stops it will be what happens on the pitch that matters - Arbroath scoring goals, winning games and collecting points is what matters.

McIntyre will have a "honeymoon" period until maybe around mid January - he has been brought in to get the team winning games, recovering their form and making things click.

He has two sessions with the players before his first match this Sat - he will notice immediately that we have a good squad of players and will soon know the areas which need addressed.

If he can motivate the players, get the team formations right and make the players click he will get results - soon, all the talking will stop and we get a better understanding of his management style.