The Arbroath Thread

Delaney would be an asset for us and us complete a back 4 for L1 for us. His ceiling might be higher though. As for McKinnon I absolutely don’t see what he offers. Poor defensively and offers little going forward 

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Obviously, some dramatic license was employed, but clearly I'm not the only one to see the immediate vibe shift after we announced the shiny shiny new striker and a couple renewals.  It takes more than that to make me go full Clashy!  I think having him in place going into the new season is an absolute disaster, and makes things needlessly difficult.  I've seen some people saying that we don't want to start being a revolving door club of sacking managers....we have *never* been a revolving door club.

Had a look at arbroatharchive:

Dick - Resigned
Lumsden - Sacked, long long, long after we should have
Sheerin - Resigned
Moore - Sacked
Sheerin - Resigned
Weir - Resigned
McGlashan - Resigned
Cairney - Resigned
Kirk - Resigned
Brownlie - Resigned

If I've got that correct, that's two sacked managers in 24 years.  If anything, that is an absurdly low number of sacked managers.   Note also Brownlie, got us relegated, arguably not all his fault, got the summer, had a terrible start.  Also Steve Kirk had a terrible start, kept us up by the skin of our teeth arguably not all his fault got the summer, and naturally enough, had a terrible start to the next season and resigned.

I was fine with us being relegated, but knowing that we're going to be stuck with McIntyre has absolutely stripped any optimism out of me.  We've all seen this story before, we all know how it always ends.  If McIntyre makes a success of things after the start he's had, then he could probably get a documentary made.  Its that unlikely.  So I'm afraid I'm not willing to join the "well, its happened now, might as well clap happily along at the shiny new signings" crowd.

Absolutely none of this is relevant - that is all in the past, they are all different people and the club is in a different place - there is no exact like for like situation or right or wrong answer here. A decisions been made by the club and they will either get praise for it or fall on their sword. Simple as that 

37 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

I hope we can keep Delaney. He looked good today. Also MacKinnon but that may be harder. 

Agree on Delaney, but doubt he’ll stay, MacKinnon, absolutely not

All said and done JM seems to have zero support amongst the fans which means his support is from the Board clearly.

Clearly they are not listening to their customers.

Crowds are down and I imagine so are merch sales.

but aye give him the close season and a (nother) good slug of games in his pursuit of “top 4” in the lower league.

a’body together aye

Appreciate the old war horses cannae carry on for ever but to largely kick them to the kerb - en masse it seems - doesn’t sit well.

JM said Gats dropped for letting a few in…multiply by a big number for Boruc yet now he is undroppable..🤷‍♂️

The board for me want all of us to now weesht and leave them be.

JM (and the board?) clearly had written this season off some time ago ergo the JM comments midweek.

Duncan Ferguson was incorrect in his assessment ..its the manager that has chucked it not the players….at least JM has a job next season more than a lot of the players have

37 minutes ago, Blawin a Hoolie said:

All said and done JM seems to have zero support amongst the fans which means his support is from the Board clearly.

Clearly they are not listening to their customers.

Crowds are down and I imagine so are merch sales.

but aye give him the close season and a (nother) good slug of games in his pursuit of “top 4” in the lower league.

a’body together aye

I mean the crowd yesterday was really really good considering we are relegated and have been fkn honking forever with nothing to play for - 1200 (over 1k home support) - would be pushed to get that back in the day for the bigger games.

I think we will sell 1k minimum season tickets again next year. 1600 and 1300 or whatever the last 2 seasons, you get the bug for going when you start

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean the crowd yesterday was really really good considering we are relegated and have been fkn honking forever with nothing to play for - 1200 (over 1k home support) - would be pushed to get that back in the day for the bigger games.

I think we will sell 1k minimum season tickets again next year. 1600 and 1300 or whatever the last 2 seasons, you get the bug for going when you start

I’m sure it will all right….

fan discontent, crowds down, no-one happy with the manager, club stalwarts getting binned….”top 4 league 1” the aim/benchmark for the manager and playing with two wingers…

55 minutes ago, Blawin a Hoolie said:

Appreciate the old war horses cannae carry on for ever but to largely kick them to the kerb - en masse it seems - doesn’t sit well.

JM said Gats dropped for letting a few in…multiply by a big number for Boruc yet now he is undroppable..🤷‍♂️

The board for me want all of us to now weesht and leave them be.

JM (and the board?) clearly had written this season off some time ago ergo the JM comments midweek.

Duncan Ferguson was incorrect in his assessment ..its the manager that has chucked it not the players….at least JM has a job next season more than a lot of the players have

Did you mention any of this at the meeting?

7 minutes ago, Blawin a Hoolie said:

club stalwarts getting binned

On the side of things - the reality is there will be 3 or 4 of our longer term players who leave this summer, and for me that's entirely understandable. The players who will be leaving will all be 32 or over at the end of the campaign. They've been fantastic servants to the club and some of my favourite players over the past decade, but age and injuries have caught up with a few and a fresh start for some is probably needed.

In terms of Gats/ Boruc - I think everyone forgets Gats had a poor couple of months prior to being replaced in January. He's 36 now, and we have to look to replace him at some point. For me, over the past few months, Boruc has made numerous saves Gats wouldn't have been able to get to at this point in his career.

7 minutes ago, keptie said:

Did you mention any of this at the meeting?

Mostly covered by others to be fair.
However the meeting isn’t the start and end of it.

For example sure I heard Gats dropped because he let a few in and vice versa…yet our loan goalie is the No 1 despite shipping 5 the game before….maybe picked that up wrong as well

….ps ST will be renewed and pies bought next year etc..!

’mon the Lichties

2 minutes ago, Blawin a Hoolie said:

Mostly covered by others to be fair.
However the meeting isn’t the start and end of it.

For example sure I heard Gats dropped because he let a few in and vice versa…yet our loan goalie is the No 1 despite shipping 5 the game before….maybe picked that up wrong as well

….ps ST will be renewed and pies bought next year etc..!

’mon the Lichties

All change coming this close season - been lucky to not have to deal with it for a long time cause we’ve been so settled but it needs to happen and every club has these periods of transition. 

Personally really looking forward to next season, think we’ve got a really solid start to our team and squad building and we will be in a much more forgiving league. There will be new grounds to visit, more than likely a derby with Montrose again to look forward to and I imagine there’ll be plenty more happy Saturday afternoons than there has been this season or last. 

On McIntyre, no over the moon with it but it doesn’t take much to change my mind or anyone else’s minds. If he signs well and we get a few positive performances and results then it all changes quite quickly 

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

All change coming this close season - been lucky to not have to deal with it for a long time cause we’ve been so settled but it needs to happen and every club has these periods of transition. 

Personally really looking forward to next season, think we’ve got a really solid start to our team and squad building and we will be in a much more forgiving league. There will be new grounds to visit, more than likely a derby with Montrose again to look forward to and I imagine there’ll be plenty more happy Saturday afternoons than there has been this season or last. 

On McIntyre, no over the moon with it but it doesn’t take much to change my mind or anyone else’s minds. If he signs well and we get a few positive performances and results then it all changes quite quickly 

Fair comment 1320….happy if JM turns it round….as my missus tells me im no often right so happy to be on the wrong side of this next season..!

think we all need a break and come back refreshed next season hopefully with some familiar faces and new blood that cheers us up…especially me..!

’mon the Lichties 

As a matter of interest, after all the whinging about Jim McIntyre as manager, does anyone know how many out of work managers or ex-player would be managers were lining up to apply for the job when the Campbells left? Although the majority on here don’t want him as manager there haven’t been many, if any, sensible suggestions as alternatives.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

32 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

As a matter of interest, after all the whinging about Jim McIntyre as manager, does anyone know how many out of work managers or ex-player would be managers were lining up to apply for the job when the Campbells left? Although the majority on here don’t want him as manager there haven’t been many, if any, sensible suggestions as alternatives.

Aye, if we sack McIntyre then we'll be unique in Scottish football in being unable to attract a single applicant for a managerial vacancy, and the club will fold.

5 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Glad to hear the ballboy is doing ok.

Excellent work by Gordon Walker and the Morton medical staff, who seen what was occurring, not so good from the Lino who was right there or Kirk Broadfoot or Robbie Crawford who both appeared to moan about the game being stopped 

5 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

On the side of things - the reality is there will be 3 or 4 of our longer term players who leave this summer, and for me that's entirely understandable. The players who will be leaving will all be 32 or over at the end of the campaign. They've been fantastic servants to the club and some of my favourite players over the past decade, but age and injuries have caught up with a few and a fresh start for some is probably needed.

In terms of Gats/ Boruc - I think everyone forgets Gats had a poor couple of months prior to being replaced in January. He's 36 now, and we have to look to replace him at some point. For me, over the past few months, Boruc has made numerous saves Gats wouldn't have been able to get to at this point in his career.

we could be saying goodbye to club legends next week

35 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Someone suggesting that we (Morton) will be signing Jay Bird from you guys. Can't say I remember much about him, and he was an unused sub yesterday which doesn't exactly suggest that we should be getting excited. What would be expecting from him?

Bird certainly has the attributes to be a good striker. But seems to lack consistency as you never what sort of player that will show up to a game.

One that is quick and tidy with the ball at his feet looking to take a powerful shot at goal. Able to hold off most players and bring others in

or

A player that doesnt look that interested in making the run, holding off the player and sluggish.

We have played pish so that has probably had an effect on him over all. In a better team he should do well. But if your team is at a low point for too long he may just start to drop off.