The Arbroath Thread

45 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If we chose to sign only one goalkeeper in the squad, and he got injured, would that also be "unlucky"?  Or would that be poor management?

This is exactly why I cannot be arsed with you.

It is perfectly reasonable to only have 2 strikers signed at this stage of the season with 6 weeks of the window left. That is without question. There are many teams who are short in certain areas as everyone still has to complete and finalise their squads.

You cannot play trialists in this cup - so the only alternative would be to sign players you do not really want purely to play FOUR GAMES. 

Many people have replied to you with reasonable points as to why we’re in this situation but you just keep doubling down and going again being entirely unreasonable. If we had 3 strikers signed and all 3 were injured would you be complaining about the fact we never had 4 strikers signed at this stage? 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

17 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If you don't think there's a difference between having two strikers for a system which requires two strikers on the pitch and possibly a third for an impact sub later in the game, and having 3 or 4 strikers for a system which requires having two strikers on the pitch, then I can only assume you have a concussion.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Many people have replied to you with reasonable points as to why we’re in this situation but you just keep doubling down and going again being entirely unreasonable. If we had 3 strikers signed and all 3 were injured would you be complaining about the fact we never had 4 strikers signed at this stage? 

No, because that is a totally different situation, as anyone without a serious head injury can surely see?

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

No, because that is a totally different situation, as anyone without a serious head injury can surely see?

Hold on.

Where did Jim McIntyre say that we will play every single game without fail lined up in a 4-4-2? 

20 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

The reason Stewart probably played at right CB in a 5-3-2 with Bisland and Wilkie as Wing Backs was most likely due to Steele carrying a knock.

He was not in the team on Tuesday against Dundee but seemingly was there warming up pre game.

When Hamilton went off, McIntyre has decided that rather that he want another forward on and switched to a back 4. 

If we’re saying Steele is part of a 3 man defensive formation, Bisland and Wilkie as wing backs, there is no place in this for Stewart 

5 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

This concussion/serious head injury stuff is in really poor taste. 

5 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

This concussion/serious head injury stuff is in really poor taste. 

I'm trying to be as nice and as charitable as possible.  What other reason could there be for not understanding this very simple point?

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You really need to be ashamed of yourself for that. 

Edited by DUAFC

As you know I am one of the more positive Lichties on here, Loyal and as diehard as they come and want to see the best in everything we do but also with a hint of realism so here it goes.

The squad we have put together so far has been brilliant imo and ticked most boxes. 3/4 still to come in with possibly 5/6 if Walker & Stowe are allowed to leave 🇱🇻⚽❤️ Big Jim will ultimately be judged on the first 9 League games. The Friendly's and Cup games are all about fitness and getting that squad match fit so obviously shouldn’t read too much into them but equally in winnable games it’s good to settle into that winning feeling to take into the League Campaign, With Hammy injury and red card and both Gallagher and Reilly not quite ready it was always going to be tough. Now we can no longer progress he should just concentrate on getting the closest to what our starting lineup will be. Here’s hoping at least by Bonnyrigg both Strikers are back and fit when the real action starts away at Stenny.

Perhaps as-well being in the Championship for 5 years and being listed as favourites for the title has gone to the players head and with the lineup and the way we played maybe suggested it was just a case of let’s just turn up and pick up an easy win.

I am hoping that’s not the case as everybody knows especially in League 1 if you don’t at least  match your opponents workrate, effort and desire anyone can and will beat anyone, It then just comes down to the quality at the end of the day which I know once the extra signings come in and both Strikers are back we will have 🇱🇻⚽❤️ Still expecting an awesome and exciting season but yesterday is just maybe the kick up the arse we needed to show how tough it actually will be in this league and if we aren’t at it from minute 1 to 90 we have no given right to just turn up with our lofty status and easily just turn over anyone.

Prediction: Top 4 Finish but not sure where 😂😂😂 Will Have a better idea once the Squad is the finished article.

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

12 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm trying to be as nice and as charitable as possible.  What other reason could there be for not understanding this very simple point?

Nah, not a good enough response to a post in very poor taste. 
You should apologise properly or be ‘exiled’ from this forum. 

27 minutes ago, b ross said:

Nah, not a good enough response to a post in very poor taste. 
You should apologise properly or be ‘exiled’ from this forum. 

Fair enough, I apologise to everyone for charitably suggesting that people's repeated inability to understand a very simple point might be because they have suffered a concussion.    

12 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Jim saying in the Courier that we’ll strengthen in 4 or 5 weeks. I don’t think the fans will tolerate many more drubbings. 

I agree the fans won't tolerate a poor start, but ultimately I'm much happier not playing/ risking Reilly/ Gallagher with muscular injuries short term so we don't end up setting them further back, as well as waiting until we can get the right loans in and not just signing players in positions we need for the sake of it. Unfortunately I don't think the majority of our fans will give any understanding to either of these things.

It's a 9 month league season - I'm happy with the basis of the squad we have at the moment and happy we've still got space to strengthen and add loans in the positions we obviously need. If McIntyre isn't able to get things going on the park, I believe he'll leave us with a more than capable squad and another manager should be able to come in and get a tune out of them..... 

5 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I agree the fans won't tolerate a poor start, but ultimately I'm much happier not playing/ risking Reilly/ Gallagher with muscular injuries short term so we don't end up setting them further back, as well as waiting until we can get the right loans in and not just signing players in positions we need for the sake of it. Unfortunately I don't think the majority of our fans will give any understanding to either of these things.

It's a 9 month league season - I'm happy with the basis of the squad we have at the moment and happy we've still got space to strengthen and add loans in the positions we obviously need. If McIntyre isn't able to get things going on the park, I believe he'll leave us with a more than capable squad and another manager should be able to come in and get a tune out of them..... 

Yeah absolutely would not want to see any of them out long term due to being rushed back. They can’t be too far away. Gallagher has a calf strain which is a nuisance but not overly serious and Reilly had a groin strain and was supposedly back training last Thursday. I heard on Tuesday night that the Bonnyrigg game was the target for him to return. 

4 or 5 weeks seems a long way away too though a plan is going to be required on how we get through that period with what we have got. 

Was there any information on Hammy in the Courier article @timlichtie

Also after coming away on Saturday night I thought to myself that we’d maybe struggle to shift the extra 150 season tickets to get up to the 1k target after thinking we’d easily get well above it just in the middle of last week. Really really annoyed with what happened on Saturday - not good enough 

6 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

No mention of Hammy’s injury in the Courier. Fingers crossed he’s ok.

Yeah hopefully just an impact injury then and nothing too serious. We really need him and Tam fit and playing every week.

Pretty sure everyone understands you wouldn't want to risk players who weren't fully fit, but I just feel the squad should be in a much better position than it is just now, it was well known for a long time we would be in league 1 so surely we could of had a plan In place, it started so well with the signings of Gallagher and Reilly but went a bit backwards since, its harsh but we surely we should be aiming higher than Callaghan and Spalding, Are these 4 or 5 signings loans or are we buying player?

If we are writing off this cup as just warm up games and scores don't matter then don't charge £18, 

Totally agree with season tickets, be amazed if it gets up to 1000+                      Very poor timing posting for season tickers on socials this morning after Saturday, All the fans have done in last few years is back the club financially, it's time something was paid back on the pitch, all the excuses in the world doesn't warrant 14 defeats In a row,