The Arbroath Thread

A few random thoughts from a long distance supporter - so didn’t see the match. 
Great to finally not lose. 
But it was the ICT youth team so not much. If they stay with that they’ll be near the bottom of the league. 
Another NIL is not good. 
Great we scored all 5 penalties. Shows some confidence from the young lads. 
Our season now depends on some really good signings in the next few weeks - probably loans. If not we’ll be struggling down the bottom. 

5 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

But it was the ICT youth team so not much. If they stay with that they’ll be near the bottom of the league. 
Another NIL is not good. 
Our season now depends on some really good signings in the next few weeks - probably loans. If not we’ll be struggling down the bottom. 

There is absolutely nothing negative you can take away from tonight about that performance 

Very pleasantly surprised with that.

On another note, I was at Pittodrie tonight (very good reason) and Mason Hancock was outstanding for Airdrie. Best player on the pitch by a mile first half. Was speaking to an Airdrie director at full time and he was raving about him. Shame he never showed anything for us before his injury.

27 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Another NIL is not good. 

We’ve made some really good signings that haven’t even taken to the park yet!! Signings we made to stop the NILS from happening 

With the 14 we had and the fact we went down to 10 after losing ToB / Dow and Gold I think that’s a really good effort 

It is absolutely infuriating to hear Gold was in crutches. I don’t see how that’s anything other than a reasonably serious injury that’ll see him miss a wee bit of time but I hope not

Heard Dow was a Hamstring and ToB was his groin 

Also heard Hammy injury could be a serious one so we might have to enter the market for a centre half 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We’ve made some really good signings that haven’t even taken to the park yet!! Signings we made to stop the NILS from happening 

With the 14 we had and the fact we went down to 10 after losing ToB / Dow and Gold I think that’s a really good effort 

It is absolutely infuriating to hear Gold was in crutches. I don’t see how that’s anything other than a reasonably serious injury that’ll see him miss a wee bit of time but I hope not

Heard Dow was a Hamstring and ToB was his groin 

Also heard Hammy injury could be a serious one so we might have to enter the market for a centre half 

f**k sake. Is there a team in history with such an injury jinx?

Hopefully none are serious but you have to worry about Hamiton coming back from another bad injury if it is.

Edited by Tattie36

Fair play to everyone who went up tonight, an away day I’ve never done even at the weekend. Take the 2 points, hope we can get all 3 at the weekend to give us a bit of momentum going into (on paper) our most winnable game of the group on Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, ellichtie said:

Fair play to everyone who went up tonight, an away day I’ve never done even at the weekend. Take the 2 points, hope we can get all 3 at the weekend to give us a bit of momentum going into (on paper) our most winnable game of the group on Saturday. 

You should definitely do Inverness away weekend. Go up Saturday, watch the game. Have a night out then back home Sunday 

Well that was a thoroughly enjoyable evening, injuries a side. Oh, also the Facebook comments on the match updates/ result update..... some nonsense stuff going on there.

Throughout the game we kept our structure and shape really well, with both 11 and later on 10 men. Obviously against Annan we left gaping holes all over the park chasing the game, but with having something to defend in the latter stages the shape was just as good with 10 as with 11, although we obviously ended up really deep for the final 10 minutes due to the situation. During the first half hour we had more of the ball and at half time I'd say we probably just shaded the half, with some good ball retention and patience on the ball.

With every injury we became weaker, first Dow heading off late on in the first half and Stowe coming on up top again, then ToB off for Gordon Walker (who did well in his time on the park, I wouldn't write him off just yet...) and finally Gold getting absolutely nailed in a challenge which the referee didn't even award a free kick for seeing us go down to 10 men. Everyone I spoke too (about 25% of our support there :lol: ) seemed to agree with not bringing Hemfrey on, although he was readied by the bench with an outfield kit, as it would've killed us shape wise and put us back in our six yard box. You could only really put him on up top to run around which would've seen us never hold the ball up the park or get in behind (which Stowe managed to do a couple of times due to his pace) and obviously he'd destroy the shape/ structure in any other position and get turned/ done incredibly easily.

For me, the shape/ structure of the team both in and out of possession has been the most positive thing in pre season, and I've been impressed with it in every game bar the obvious. Considering that's 5 games, and in 4 of them (4.5 I guess) I've been really impressed with the shape/ structure of the team, I'm choosing to focus on that as opposed to the 0.5 where we lost all shape/ structure entirely due to chasing a game with 10 men. Once again, I feel no more positive or negative for this upcoming season than both before and after the Annan game.... there was absolutely no need to be heads gone on Saturday, and there's absolutely no need to think we've suddenly 'come good' after this evening.

The injuries are, frankly, a fucking disaster. If you took the average size of each part time squads first team currently, I'd guess it'd be around 18 or so, what we currently have. It is absolutely infuriating that, after last season, we have the same fucking thing happening in pre season, through absolutely no fault of our own. I have no idea, but surely we have the most injuries to first team players at PT L1/ L2 level, yet again, after breaking some sort of fucking record for it last season. When yer lucks out......

Edited by SimonLichtie

6 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Oh, also the Facebook comments on the match updates/ result update..... some nonsense stuff going on there.

My favourite comment was this in the post informing the support we had just won on penalties 

“Why didn't  Hemfrey come on to at least boost defence.  Manager is so stupid”

7 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Oh, also the Facebook comments on the match updates/ result update..... some nonsense stuff going on there.

Imagine my absolute shock. Sack mcintyre and the board it’s obvious they’re telling our opponents to injure our players so that we’re forced to sign more players to live in the inverkeithing projects

Edited by glasgowlichtie23

Looking back at last nights performance

McAdams - Solid again. Made 2 very important saves 

Bisland - a few loose passes but solid defensively and a threat going forward

TOB - Very solid until being forced off

Steele - Gave the ball away to many times for me but was good in the air. Improvement needed

Wilkie - Very good. Up and down the left side all game. Looks a good signing 

Callaghan - Very tidy on the ball last night.

Gold - Solid until being injured by a dirty tackle 

Slater - Impressive again last night. Only thing he really lacked was a defence splitting pass

Spalding - Best player on the park. Played like Chris Hamilton last night. Broke plenty up and was a constant nuisance 

Murray - Did well but looked knackered at FT

Dow - Was playing well enough until going off injured

Subs

Walker - Played really well when introduced. Coped with the left winger with ease. 

Stowe - For all the criticism Iv given him he played well. Had a really good chance that the keeper did well to save. Was a constant nuisance to the ICT defence 

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

McAdams - Solid again. Made 2 very important saves 

Bisland - a few loose passes but solid defensively and a threat going forward

TOB - Very solid until being forced off

Steele - Gave the ball away to many times for me but was good in the air. Improvement needed

Wilkie - Very good. Up and down the left side all game. Looks a good signing 

Callaghan - Very tidy on the ball last night.

Gold - Solid until being injured by a dirty tackle 

Slater - Impressive again last night. Only thing he really lacked was a defence splitting pass

Spalding - Best player on the park. Played like Chris Hamilton last night. Broke plenty up and was a constant nuisance 

Murray - Did well but looked knackered at FT

Dow - Was playing well enough until going off injured

Subs

Walker - Played really well when introduced. Coped with the left winger with ease. 

Stowe - For all the criticism Iv given him he played well. Had a really good chance that the keeper did well to save. Was a constant nuisance to the ICT defence 

Good to read these comments. The performance of Spalding is particularly encouraging. That presence in the midfield has been badly lacking since Chris Hamilton moved on.

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

You should definitely do Inverness away weekend. Go up Saturday, watch the game. Have a night out then back home Sunday 

That’s always been the plan but it’s never ended up working out. Maybe this season!

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

My favourite comment was this in the post informing the support we had just won on penalties 

“Why didn't  Hemfrey come on to at least boost defence.  Manager is so stupid”

I always wonder if the folk on Facebook had any interest in fitba at all, let alone Arbroath, before we were in the Championship. They are a deeply strange bunch of people, fucking commenting on every post asking to be told why they personally haven’t been told why we haven’t signed a goalkeeper.

4 minutes ago, ellichtie said:

I always wonder if the folk on Facebook had any interest in fitba at all, let alone Arbroath, before we were in the Championship. They are a deeply strange bunch of people, fucking commenting on every post asking to be told why they personally haven’t been told why we haven’t signed a goalkeeper.

They couldn’t find Gayfield on a map until 2021/22

I have to admit the health and injury status of the Arbroath FC players is a constant stress just when I thought it would all be behind us - can we just have a normal season please.. 

Stewart will be back now. Reilly must be very close. Gallagher must be reasonably close.

If Tam and Dow are not too bad we should manage to cope ok but it sounds like Gold has took a bad one and Hamilton could be out for a long time. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Pleased to hear that Stowe had another good game.  Maybe he'll get a chance from the start if Dow isn't fit.

Edited by ExiledLichtie